1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The un-official Telomere before and after thread

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by hellojtm, Mar 29, 2012.

1. - real age (or use a variable)

X

- telomere age (or just use your variable and a +/- should be good enough)

X minus a tiny bit (listed as in 51st percentile for my age)

- before body composition and diet as of initial telomere testing

6 week into LR, a couple years primal

- lifestyle before (light exposure and sleep, exercise, work)

good sleep, moderate exercise, on my behind at work

- diet during (especially if you are consuming any non-paleo foods or foods not matched to the canonical season)

to be continued

- lifestyle during

to be continued

- ending body composition

to be continued

- ending telomere length (again with the variable or a real value)

to be continued

2. Just an update on my visit to the LabCorp to get the telomere test. The LabCorp phlebotomist/receptionist said she needed a docs name for the paperwork. I told here Spectracell said none was necessary (I made that up since I wanted the test and Spectracell sent me the kit). She called her supervisor (she was very nice throughout the whole process) and after much discussion she went ahead and drew the blood and there was no problem. I also got the micronutrient test done at the same time. Now can't wait to get the results!

3. Kpcst

Kpcst Silver

I had mine done last week. Looked on spectracells web site. Searched dr's in my area. There were 4 in my area. I chose the chiro, got in the same day. Gave him 250 bucks. He gave me a kit, went to a lab at physician center. They drew blood at no charge and sent it off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

4. Yes, see my previous post in this thread. X = my age. Not sure if I should be pleased or disappointed that I appear to fall smack dab on average for my real age. But there's certainly merit in a baseline.

5. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Thanks Optim! So, basically you "checked your dogma" and do you feel that your telomeres before CT were acceptable after a couple of years of primal? I wrote in another thread that I think the point we should all be shooting for in telomeres is probably similar to that of hormones, we want to be in our raging early 20s of vitality. I think if we balanced our catabolic/anabolic activities our telomeres should just stay optimal for life and not really shorten....

6. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I finally got my test back. I am floored...in a good way. I had the test drawn on 2/29 and had started the reset on 2/21.

- real age: 54

- telomere age: 25!!!!! I said you are effing kidding me. This is a mistake. They said no it is not. I am calling the company this week just to check. I am in the 89 percentile of my age which means I am in the top 11%. According to the results I have an above average result. My telomere score is 8.71. The higher the score the "younger" the cells. Honestly, I thought I would be in the age 70s range.

- before body composition and diet as of initial telomere testing: 1 week into Leptin reset. Before reset Primalish diet, estrogenic, apple body (need to loose about 100 pounds)

- lifestyle before (light exposure and sleep, exercise, work): night owl, fair to poor sleep, rare exerciser, had just started to cross fit, work a desk job as a RN but...I do meditate and do chi gong and some martial arts (not the real strenuous type). Been cleaning up my diet for the last ten years as in moving to more organic, cleaner foods but not paleo or primal except recently.

)

- diet during (especially if you are consuming any non-paleo foods or foods not matched to the canonical season): ketogenic paleo, occasionally fall off the wagon but mostly eat paleo/primal when I fall off. Usually it is just more carbs than normal.

- lifestyle during

- ending body composition

- ending telomere length (again with the variable or a real value)

I wonder if I am an outlier. I do come from hardworking Northern European peasant stock. Long lived and healthy on the paternal side. Less so on maternal side.

Maybe one drink every couple of years, and I never smoked. I don't care for veggies or aerobic exercise. I have always been a hard core carnivore since childhood with a taste for marbled meat.

It is time for more lab tests from my primary care doc.

That score must be wrong.

7. shilohman

shilohman New Member

I can understand why you would want to retest, but I bet the first test is correct. Do you fell like 25?

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Maybe not?

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

How long did it take to get your results? I've been waiting for 3 weeks + when it's supposed to take 7-10 days.

10. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

They received the blood on 3/31. It was drawn on 2/29. That's logged on the results. They said they sent it out on 4/10. It didn't hit the lab till 4/13 and I picked it up yesterday. Yeah, I was told 7-10 days too.

I called the local lab and complained. Spectracell faxed the results but they were unreadable because of the color printing grayed out on the fax.

11. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I plan on it.

12. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

We were joking about this today at work. Maybe I should dress like a 25 year old hottie. LOL...Actually I don't remember much about my 20s that felt good because those years were kinda crappy emotionally and I was a miserable little bitch. My attitude is much better in my 50s. Physically, then I spent a lot of time in school and at horrible minimum wage slave jobs and working on my unpleasant nature.

13. Kpcst

Kpcst Silver

Got my test back today.

Hmmm... not what I expected or hoped for.

I'm 32. Telomere age was closer to 40.

It doesn't actually say, just has a graph. Think they were 7.29 or so in length.

Of course I have been a workout person since high school. Played sports throughout HS and into College. Have never had a real weight problem so I've eaten whatever I wanted. I partied hard until I was 28 or so. Just stayed out late and had lots of tequila. No crack or drugs... SO I guess that can equal a 29th percentile telomere result. I guess what really matters is from here on out. Now that I have a benchmark, I will just retest later and see if I'm improving or atleast slowing down the deterioration.

14. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

It may not be wrong. We all have to check our dogma right? Thanks for posting your results! I would consider pressuring the testing lab to give you a free re-do because the results are so unexpected, there is always a slim chance they mixed up your results and it would be a shame if it happened.

Keep up the good work then!

jesse

15. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

Thanks kpcst! People rarely get cancer at 40 right? So as long as you can stall the shortening or reverse it you should be covered there.... Hoping you'll retest after 3-6 months of CT and proper circadian sleeping (plus that all important torpor!)

best,

jesse

16. To long... it was in that range.

17. To be honest with you, there are times I feel more "broken" than I ever did before I first laid my eyes on Good Calories Bad Calories. But I'm confident that interest and investment now will result in vibrant life for me and my kids long into the future, should I not be hit by a bus.

18. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

This is going to be interesting... looking for patterns.... what's the worst you can do to yourself and what doesn't matter so much. Right now Glam's results say being a night owl is not so bad if you eat like Grok and aren't a hamster in the wheel every day.

19. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I have worked in the same position for the last 6 years and I really enjoy my job. I really feel like what I do makes a difference in people's lives. People characterize me as slow to anger and have a good thing to say about everyone. I do confess that sometimes I have to really look. :) I do like a good cuss word now and then and have been known to drop the f bomb in public places. But, I am known for just laying it out and telling it like it is. I am not perfect but I am good person and I really like myself. I would say I am a realistic optimist in my POV. That probably has a lot more to do with over all health than other things. Looking back on my life when I was in my early 30s I wanted to get my advanced degree in psychoneuroimmunology, or how our psyche affects our immune system. That still fascinates me.

20. Owl

Owl New Member

Just curious, who are the subjects for the age ratings - how do they come up the the telomere length for, say, a 40 year old? Did they test 40 years olds around the world, or mainly from the US, or what?