1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The Struggle...Ruth's Long Journey Back to Health.

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Ruth Dejarnette, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Pertinent Information:

Finding my way back to optimal health is a struggle because I have done so much damage to myself along life's journey. As I look back at my life, I realize I did a lot of things right but I sure did a lot of things wrong. I find myself very humbled, joyous, and thankful that I am finally on the path building a relationship with my Creator and optimal health.

My story is like many others, I was a happy and healthy child. I lived in a rural area. I am old enough that when I grew up we were always outside when we were not in school. I had pets and horses, my life was simple. I was loved and life was good. I had the normal childhood illnesses of the time, measles 6/1966, mumps 6/1968, measles again 6/1968, mononucleosis 5/1973, chickenpox 4/1976. I was immunized for DTP, polio, smallpox, and rubella measles as was done at the time. My records note I was given gamma globulin to protect from yellow jaundice in 1967, I am not sure why because I didn't appear to have an illness at the time. I was fortunate to have a mother and grandmother who thought that the body was it's own best healer. They did not believe in giving medication to reduce fever, when you were sick you stayed home, rested, ate chicken soup and if it was nice outside sat in the sun....funny how the old ways are many times the best ways. We did not have a TV until I was 7 years old. We were allowed to watch it on Saturday mornings for cartoons and Sunday evening with the family for Walt Disney, Bonanza, and Wild Kingdom with Marlon Perkins.

I went to college for 2 years but then got distracted by bad choices in men and was at that rebellious age where I listened to no one, especially my parents. I left college and got a job in Minneapolis. I eventually got a job at a hospital as an adapted aquatics instructor. I worked for 7 years there. I was inside under artificial lights, in 92 degree chlorinated, fluoridated, and chemically treated water teaching swimming lessons for 8 hours a day, it was very warm and this is where I discovered diet pop. Everyone drank Tab (for those of you who are young, Tab was the predecessor to Diet Coke). I started an addiction that would last for 36 years. My first realization that there may be a problem with my environment was when my dentist asked me what type of work I did because I was getting so many more cavities. He told me that he observed tooth enamel loss in competitive swimmers and they were more prone to cavities. I didn't do anything with that information, but I remember it.

Another startling observation was the day they replaced the stainless steel drinking fountain that was on the wall by the pool. When they took the cover off, all the parts just sort of disintegrated and fell apart. It was the first time I wondered, if the vapor from the water did that to the stainless steel what is it doing to my insides? I continued to work there another couple years, I am a slow learner. :) I finally left the pool to take an office job in another department. I worked there for a year, it was boring.

I finally found a job in the cardiac cath lab as an assistant to the technicians. This is where I learned to love the field of medicine and how the body works. I was fascinated by learning about the heart and the bodies vascular system. But as you well know this environment is not great for your health either. I eventually left this job to become a nanny for one of the cardiologist's because my marriage broke up and I was left to raise a 2 1/2 year old son as a single mom. This was the time when I first started gaining weight and becoming unhealthy. I have had several moves, different jobs, some in good environments but most in bad. I was never able to make it to my goal weight or health goals but I never gave up. I have learned a lot since then.

What started me on my recent path toward health was a shoulder injury in May of 2018. I came to the realization that if I did not make changes in my life I would not only lose my ability to work but I would become unable to move well, I would destroy my joints and probably die much younger than I should from a preventable chronic disease.

On June 17, 2018 I started on my path back to health. I will share my family history because I feel it is important to know where I came from in order to see where I am going on this journey.

I was born February 22, 1962
    I grew up in west central Minnesota
    I lived in a rural area with a farm lifestyle
    I am of Scandinavian and English descent

My family history information:

Paternal side:

Great grandparents and grandfather immigrated from Norway around 1917, my grandfather was 7 when he came to the USA.
    Great grandmother died of unknown reasons, possibly the flu epidemic.
    Great grandfather unable to raise children and cope with death of his spouse, hr became alcoholic, he his sent children to orphanage to be raised. Great grandfather died in a fire.

Grandfather lived at orphanage until 16, then became hired hand on farm in west central Minnesota, he married the farmers daughter and became a dairy farmer. He lived to 78, died from heart related issues, most likely congestive heart failure, but unsure.

Grandmother was adopted as infant raised by a farm family, her heritage was Scandinavian and English. She died in 1954 from gallbladder cancer. She was 47. I was told that when my grandmother died my grandfather was never the same, his never stood upright/tall again, he lost his joy, he became stern/grumpy, he was lost without her. He never remarried or dated. What I remember was his keen mind and his intelligence and yes he was grumpy. His body failed but his mind did not. I never met my grandmother but I was named after her and I was told she was a people person, she took in strangers, "bums" as they were called back then, during the depression, and gave them food and shelter in exchange for doing farm chores. I was told my grandfathers' and great grandfathers' farm was called "the show place" because of how they kept the dairy and the cows; every cow washed and brushed daily like it was ready for the "show" and the entire farm was immaculate. All that changed when my grandmother died, my grandfather didn't care anymore. The place still ran successfully but was never the same.

My father was 17 when his mother died, he was the youngest of 3 brothers. My father is 82 and in relatively good health. As a young man he was built like a tank, he played football he was a defensive tackle. He was heavy set, stocky, very strong but overweight until his mid 30's, then he lost weight and never gained it back. His only health problem is he has arthritis and worn out joints. He has significant neck pain and some back pain but it doesn't really slow him down. He worked in agriculturally related business or farmed until retirement. He now lives in a very remote wilderness area of northern Minnesota. He fishes, hunts, works in his shop, grooms ski trails for my mother and just takes care of their wilderness home.

Maternal side:

Great grandparents all born in USA of Norwegian and Danish descent.

Great grandmother (my moms, moms, mom) died of pernicious anemia when she was in her late 30's.
    Great grandfather (my moms, moms, dad) died due to complications from injury in his 60's.

Great grandmother (my moms, dads, mom) died in her mid 80's, she just got sick, went to the hospital and died. No details of why.
    Great grandfather (my moms, dads, dad) died in his mid 80's, he got sick, went to the hospital and died. No details of why. He died a few years before her as he was older. I remember them as fun old people, they were mobile and took care of themselves and I don't remember them being sick.

My grandmother died in her late 80's of complications from an auto accident, she was not the driver. She had been a homemaker her entire life. She was an active person and kept a meticulous home. She golfed and hunted with my grandfather. She had vitiligo on her hands/arms. She suffered a mental breakdown after my grandfather died suddenly, she eventually recovered and lived happily for several years, she remarried. She had some sort of auto immune disease in her later years that gave her neck and shoulder pain and affected her muscles.

My grandfather died suddenly of a massive MI when he was 66. He had been a heavy smoker his whole adult life. He was an avid outdoors man and into sports, basketball, baseball. He owned and operated service station his entire life.

My mother is 76 and active. She has never been more than a few pounds overweight. She was always tall and thin. She is a very calm, quiet, private person who never is sitting. She gardens, does yard work, cooks, bakes, sews, chops wood, logs, hikes, swims in the lake in the summer, x-country ski's in the winter, always doing a project, never idle. She is the "healthy" one in the family, didn't smoke, didn't drink, ate healthy, was active, not overweight. She married my dad at 18, had my brother at 19, me at 20. Never used birth control, never got pregnant again. She developed uterine fibroids in her 30's and around at 35 had a partial hysterectomy to remove the uterus. She developed depression for a couple of years and then she just "decided" to make herself better. She took up gardening and spent most of her time outdoors, her depression never came back. When she was 50 she developed colon cancer, she had a bowel resection and went 7 years without any recurrence. Then the cancer metastasized to her lung, she had a partial lung resection. She went at least 7 more years without recurrence. It came back in her lung again. This time she had chemotherapy. She has not had any recurrence since the chemo and it has been many years since the chemo. The interesting thing to me is that through all this she has been active, feeling well, never slows down...??? My parents moved from the farm in west central Minnesota to our cabin in northern Minnesota after my dad retired from farming.

Then we get to me.
    I am 56 years old, I have 1 brother. I have 1 son, who is 32 years old and married. He is my pride and joy, my life's greatest success.
    I have been married twice. First time I was young and foolish, but I got my son from that union. My first husband left when my son was 2 and never looked back.
    The second time I was heartbroken and wounded. I am still married but only because I believe in commitment and in the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; as well as what is written in it. Marriage is hard, it is a lot of work and it reveals to us all of our flaws. Funny how living with someone can do that. Enough on that topic.

I have worked in health care as a CT Tech for a number of years, living life on call, shift work, not enough sleep, poor environment to spend time in. 4 years ago I changed hospitals and found a job where I could get off call and work a straight afternoon shift. I work 2:30-11pm, M-F. I am home and in bed by 11:30pm and try to sleep until 7:30 each day. I have struggles with eating junk and drinking massive amounts of diet coke, I love the outdoors and enjoy long distance biking so that has helped a bit. I have been overweight or obese for the past 36 years losing and gaining, never achieving my goal weight or feeling as healthy as I wanted to be.

I do not take any medications and don't have any diagnosed chronic health conditions. I do have joint aches and pains and have had several injuries to my back, neck, left hip, left ankle, left great toe and most recently my left shoulder. I am also left handed....interesting that I always seem to injure my left side. I do have an injury to my right eye (a tree fell on my head while camping as a child), I did have a LOC and was blind in my right eye for a few weeks, my vision slowly returned and got as good as 20/30 in that eye when I was young. I also fell of my horse and broke my Rt. wrist as a child.

Basically I just don't sleep well, am obese and lack energy, feel sluggish and tired a lot, but I just keep pushing myself to keep moving and keep trying.

In May of 2018 I injured my shoulder at work and came to the realization I needed to change my life style or I would loose my ability to work and possibly my life prematurely. I knew I had to reduce inflammation in my body and get my weight down.

I have implemented the following changes on June 17, 2018

I quit diet coke, processed food, sugar, most processed oils. I do use goat butter, coconut oil, and olive oil. I also quit most salt and only use sea salt or Himalayan salt and only on rare occasion. I eat in an 8 hour window having breakfast and lunch and I don't eat at work. I leave at least 16 hours between my last meal and breakfast the next day. I spend time outside in the morning doing chores or walking.

Since June 17 I have lost 85 Lbs.

In September 2018 I was told by a guy I know and talk health with that I should google Jake Kruse and deuterium depleted water. I started listening to you tube videos and then joined the group.

Since that time I have gotten blue light filtering glasses, am working on cold therapy, went barefoot outside as weather permitted, slept on the ground in the fall, did a lot of sun bathing and swimming in cold lake water. I limit my evening lighting at home as much as possible.

I have a lot of questions and a lot to learn.

My labs are as follows:

Date ranges: 6/09, 5/10, 1/12, 7/14, 10/14, 3/15, 10/15, 11/15, 1/16, 7/16, 10/17, 10/2018
    most recent lab values from 10/31/2018 in bold:

CRP 12, 9.4
    HS CRP 1.6
    GLUCOSE 96, 100, 92, 94, 102, 93
    A1C 5.1
    VIT D 19, 29, 33, 28, 25, 48
    FSH 42.7
    ESTRADIOL 14, <10
    CHOLESTEROL - TOTAL 167, 135, 171, 156, 146
    HDL 57, 49, 49, 59, 62
    LDL 100, 73, 107, 82, 66
    TRIGLYCERIDES 48, 65, 74, 74, 90
    NON HDL 110, 86, 122, 97, 84
    B12 727, 607
    FOLATE 11.1
    FERRITIN 60, 47, 58
    ALBUMIN 3.9
    ANION GAP 8
    BUN 8, 9
    CREATININE 0.75, 0.7, 0.7, 0.7, 0.77
    CALCIUM 9.8, 10, 9.6
    CHLORIDE 101
    CO2 29
    GFR >60
    MAGNISIUM 1.9, 2.2
    PHOSPHORUS 3.5
    POTASSIUM 4.1, 4.4, 4.1
    SODIUM 138, 139, 139, 138
    URIC ACID 5.3
    SED RATE 17mm/hr
    ALKALINE PHOSPHATE 92
    TSH 1.76, 1.1, 1.4, 1.4, 1.3, 1.5, 1.3
    ALT 31, 21, 64
    AST 30, 26, 80
    BASOPHILS 0.05, 0.05, 0.06, 0.08, 0.07
    EOSINOPHILS 0.13, 0.08, 0.04, 0.15, 0.09
    HEMATOCRIT 34.9, 41.3, 40.8, 40.1, 40.4, 39, 43.7
    HEMOGLOBIN 11.9, 13, 13.2, 13.2, 13.3, 12.6, 14.4
    LYMPHOCYTES 2.84, 2.6, 1.18, 3.16, 2
    MCV 83.3, 88.9, 85.2, 86.2, 86.3, 84.6, 85.7
    MONOCYTES 0.58, 0.58, 0.69, 0.69, 0.58
    NEUTROPHILS 6.47, 7.35, 4.92, 6.61, 3.05
    PLATELET COUNT 359, 299, 328, 323, 310, 392, 213
    ERYTHROCYTES 4.19, 4.64, 4.79, 4.65, 4.3, 4.61, 5.1
    RBC 12.6, 13.2, 13.1, 13.5, 13.3, 13.2, 13.5
    WBC 9.2, 9.3, 10.1, 10.7, 6.9, 10.7, 5.8

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. I could not find the specific red light brand you mentioned on amazon or anywhere, could you let me know the proper spelling of the light bulb and box or send a link to the site? I think you told me Spurtie red or Spurtie D.....I didn't get it written neatly enough to read it.

What thoughts do you have on long fasts? 21+ days, water only?

If wearing prescription blue tech lenses, should you wear them outdoors or should you have another pair that don't filter blue light?

How do you find accurate info on where 5G networks are currently operating? Verizon tells me it is not operating or available in my area.

I listened to your talk on women and bio identical hormone replacement. Do you have any additional thoughts for me on this topic?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. I could not find the specific red light brand you mentioned on amazon or anywhere, could you let me know the proper spelling of the light bulb and box or send a link to the site? I think you told me Spurtie red or Spurtie D.....I didn't get it written neatly enough to read it.

What thoughts do you have on long fasts? 21+ days, water only?

If wearing prescription blue tech lenses, should you wear them outdoors or should you have another pair that don't filter blue light?

How do you find accurate info on where 5G networks are currently operating? Verizon tells me it is not operating or available in my area.

I listened to your talk on women and bio identical hormone replacement. Do you have any additional thoughts for me on this topic?

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Sperti Red light.

5. drezy

drezy Gold

Whoa be be careful there, Mam.

I think you should check out the Episode-Paleo Rx book and the BAB first.

6. PalmBeach1

PalmBeach1 Silver

So nice to read your journey and talk to ppl like us who want optimal health.... its a LOT TO LEARN ISNT IT?

7. There is a lot to learn, the terminology and abbreviations to begin with.

PalmBeach1 likes this.
  8. PalmBeach1

PalmBeach1 Silver

Yes it is but its so incredible that we have the opportunity! So glad for dr kruses curiousity and willingness to question and research everything !

9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

There is a thread covering all the abbreviations Ruth.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi Ruth and welcome. You have made a ton of progress ....good for you!

where are you currently living? Is it possible for you to spend some time in the Yucatan?

I am pretty sure that Dr. K. would give you a thumb's down for a long fast.

I like what you are presently doing .....breakfast and lunch.

Jack has done webinars on 5G and there is threads here about how to locate them

go to RA optics and ask your questions about glasses blocking blue light.

Have you read the easy start guides for the leptin reset? and C/T?

we all have a lot to learn!

PalmBeach1 likes this.
  11. I will be going off grid for a while on this journey to optimal health. I am headed out to feed my soul for a while. I am taking a study trip to Israel. I will be hiking around the country studying the land of the Bible and learning the roots of my faith. I so excited to see every sunrise in Israel and watch every sunset, spending my entire day outside in the wilderness, floating in the dead sea, camel riding in the desert, there will of course be time spent in Jerusalem (I know lots of EMF), but most of my time will be off the beaten path hiking to various places where historic biblical events occurred.

I will return in late March and at that point I plan to live a very simple life without internet or devices, no or very minimal tech of any kind. I am comfortable with this, it is how I grew up, outdoors on the farm with my horses and animals. I have my outdoor kitchen and sleeping space. I am working on building my low tech "she shed" in the back yard. I have the shed already, I am just converting it to "my space" where I can live away from things electric. My husband is not on board and thinks I am nuts, I can't do what Jack did and lock the doors. My answer is to just move outside and be creative in building the stuff I need to survive and be comfortable. I will of course have to go to work everyday in the belly of the beast but I am working alternatives to that, it just takes time and a good plan.

It has been good to interact here and learn what I can, but the great outdoors are calling my name. I will check in if I get the chance, but snail mail is the way of my future.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  12. Ruth, you are inspiring me! I wish you well on your journey. My husband is not on board either, and not thrilled about me doing anything that effects his life. Your she shed sounds like such a great idea!

13. PalmBeach1

PalmBeach1 Silver

Wow Ruth you are on an awesome journey. I love that uou are going to Israel to see biblical places. I want to build an outdoor place to sleep too and find myself sitting in my car daily and out in front yard as i dont want to be in the house. Im trying to wean myself off devices but it is so hard. I think i know what addicts go thru now! How did u make your sleep space? You might want to write a book on how you have built your outdoor spaces.
    My family thinks imnuts just for having red bulbs and no blue light in house! Are you going to use email? I wish we could make technology safe to use. I grew up like you on horse farm and was always with them after school. I would love to correspond with you by mail if you decide to not be on here anymore. Im going to the longevity center in may.