1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The quest to master dopamine.. Journal for Cpt. Tired

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Cpt.Tired, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Saw my DR. on Thursday past. I told him that I don't want to take the stimulant anymore and that I feel like I am addicted to it because I have tried so many times to get myself off of it only to be so fatigued and brain dead that I could hardly function at all so I would go back on just so I could function at least a little. He recommended another (newer) medication that I had never heard of that would replace the stimulant AND the SSRI (Lexapro). He said that it works on serotonin but does not suppress dopamine like an SSRI does. Well that was why I was taking the stimulant in the first place because the Lexapro was suppressing my dopamine really badly.
    So I have been taking the vorioxetine only (no stimulant!) for about three days now and I can feel it (I think).
    Unlike most people it seems that I can usually feel some effect from medications almost right away. So far things feel quite positive. I am feeling a little more drive to get myself organized and to start taking these protocols more seriously. The goal is to eventually get off of this med as well.
    I'll keep you all posted...

2. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

My personal experience was that I had to wean myself off meds very slowly because just trying to stop caused withdrawal effects so maybe it might be a smilar effect for you as far as feeling the fatigue and brain deadness when quitting... I don't know if you were trying weaning or just cold turkey...

Glad you're feeling better !

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Cpt.Tired likes this.
  3. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I did wean a bit with the stimulant but I had a chronic headache that would not go away so I just got so fed up with it, but I think this vortioxetine is helping with the withdrawal since it does stimulate dopamine a bit. My energy levels are feeling more consistent now.
    Keep that med on your radar just in case you need something acutely. I have a good feeling about this one.(Trade name is 'Brintellix')
    How is your success with the UV/IR light biohack lately? I got a little bit of sun in today for about 15 minutes and I did feel an improved mood and energy for a couple of hours. But nothing close to what I felt in November. That was just unbelievable.. I sure hope I can get that effect again later this year when we get more sunshine. It was like I was in a dream that I could control, as crazy as that seems.
    I hope you get to experience that so you can tell me that I'm not 'crazy' (LOL!)
    Melanie Procter has had similar experiences to what I felt:)

4. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

I used to have that experience before I got sick :) I was out and about a lot too...

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  5. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

When did you get sick? You mean just recently?

6. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

No it was 3 years ago when I started getting my EMF sensitivity ...

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  7. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I remember you talking a bit about that sensitivity issue. Wow. I found it so bizarre that you could actually 'feel' the EMF from the airplane above you :eek:.
    So that makes me think 'what the hell is this shit doing to all of us that CAN'T feel it?'
    When I first came down with debilitating depression way back in 1991, I was going to school to be an avionics technician (aircraft electronics) out at Vancouver International Airport. Now it all starts to make sense. It was strange. Like I didn't even feel human anymore.
    Well, I hope we can both get our charge up good this year. Having the people here for support alone helps us to accomplish that!;):)

8. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

:) I charged up today!

I remember you writing somewhere that you were doing the Wim Hof breathing on the days you were feeling great... I just did it today and it helped my mood energy go Way better during the day... What if it was a big part of what was helping you? It is so fast to do it too!

This is one of the videos I followed along with. Deep breath in pushing out with the diaphragm, smaller breath out (just let the diaphragm drop)

I noticed after my breathing was way softer and relaxed, like the Buteyko method (another breathing method that says it will get more oxygen to your tissues) recommends...

I'm also going to try taping my mouth closed overnight tonight (Buteyko practice) http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...thing-technique-a-cure-for-asthma-411996.html
    and see how that affects my energy levels... I understand it should make a big difference... and I've noticed I'm waking up breathing through my mouth ever since I was on the sleep meds, which I don't remember doing before when I was sleeping more profoundly...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Cpt.Tired likes this.
  9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Awesome! I'm so glad that it helped you!

I actually used it last night when I was playing a gig at a pub with my band. I started getting really bored during our first set (normally a stimulant would help me with that).

At the end of the set I was thinking 'God..I'm so bored playing these same old classic rock songs. This just sucks but people are dancing and having a good time so I have to put on this brutally fake smile so people don't notice. It's so much work being fake like this!'

I went out to my car and meditated a bit while doing a couple of those exercises.

The second and third set went MUCH better. Now I'm more thinking "this is not too bad...I'm tired but I'm not entirely fake now. I am enjoying it a bit now. My smile is more genuine."

I think having that tool can really help us in 'on the spot' situations when you need that extra push. You don't have to do it intensely either. I will just breath out and try to hold it for a bit then breath in really deep but slowly and gradually try to take in more and more air. I imagine that the air is filling up my tissues and that is why I can breath in a bit more every ten seconds or so. I think we may be able to even get more oxygen in if we move our bodies a bit.
    I'm going to check out that Buteyko practice that you mentioned. the more tools the better...:):):)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  10. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Thanks for that video! I learned a lot from that one..:):)
    It makes sense that all these techniques will work even better while charging up in the sun (maybe even while jumping in and out of cold water creek!)

11. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

I have been completely off of stimulant medication now for a whole week and I don't even have the temptation to go back on because I really don't feel that bad at all. I've been doing a fair amount of meditation and deep breathing exercises like Wim Hof, getting a bit of exercise outside and trying to get as much sunlight as I can whenever I see the sun pop out of the clouds. I definitely notice an energy boost after sun gazing as well as the deep breathing exercises. Whenever I feel depressive symptoms coming on I start doing some deep breathing and holding my breath. It really seems to help, at least for a little while. Combined with sunlight, cold showers and deep breathing there is a significant effect. I was afraid that going off of the stimulant would make me lose interest in Jack's stuff since it really helps make things that are normally 'boring' more interesting but I am finding that I am still quite interested.
    Still taking Vorioxetine but kind of on and off because I'm thinking that I might not even really need it now. I was taking 10mg a day but last Monday I felt absolutely terrible so I skipped a couple of doses and felt MUCH better.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  12. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Have you been following the methylene blue discussion in the heteroplasmy thread?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  13. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

No but I will head there right now...Thanks Lahelada:)

14. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Been off of all medication for one week! No depressive episodes at all. Energy level 'ok'.
    Every time I have tried getting off of medication in the past I would start feeling crappy within a day or two. I've been on medication for 23 years so something good is happening right now! The Wim Hof breathing exercises seem to be making the biggest difference. I'm hoping that this effect will get magnified when we start getting some sun.

I was going to buy the Quantlet yesterday but my wife talked me out of it for the time being because the Canadian dollar is terrible right now.

But I WILL be getting one eventually!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    caroline likes this.
  15. Arclite

Arclite New Member

Congratulations on getting off those medications. They truly are horrible for you. I'm curious, what does your depression feel like? How would you characterize the feelings and sensations it brings? I know that it must be a highly subjective experience that defies or resists articulation, but could you try to relate it to us?

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  16. shah78

shah78 Gold

Reality check. You've been doing this and other "withdrawal hacks" all winter in Canada. Let me repeat: ALL Fucking Winter in Fucking Canada! :) I can barely keep myself alive here in South Florida.I spend six to eight hours outside most days. You will be outrageous come early Canadian Springtime, (around June 1) . :)

Cpt.Tired likes this.
  17. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Its like a general lack of interest, low motivation, energy, apathy..all the symptoms pretty much of low dopamine. But also symptoms of low serotonin and others too.

18. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Yeah, I know the heat can be just AWFUL when you are sick. Hangovers are just terrible in the heat:). So are headaches, any inflammation really.
    Jack talks about the photonic of his environment and how good it is for you but keeping yourself cool is huge too.

19. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

So BIG changes in my life coming up-:eek::eek::eek:

The company that I have been working for for the last 23 years will be shutting down Apr 1st/16.
    That means a change in careers will be coming up because my particular job was highly specialized. Great company, great money, benefits, etc. But a blue light nightmare.
    I got a good severance package and my house is almost paid off so I have an opportunity to have a bunch of time coming up where I can really focus on FIXING MYSELF.
    I really feel that the typical 8 hr workday was not allowing me to recuperate enough. I'm going to take some time to really focus on GETTING IN THE SUN and CT. Maybe start thinking about a part time job that is OUTDOORS.
    That would probably be huge.
    Maybe I will have time to read this stack of books I got that Dr. Kruse recommended!:)

shah78, Sue-UK and Lahelada like this.
  20. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

Man. Getting off of these medications has been a nightmare. I will feel good for a little while. Sometimes a long while. But then I start feeling kind of shitty again.Still not as bad as I used to.
    That vorioxetine stuff was working. But it just KILLED my sex drive. Like it was just non existent.
    I wish I would get that 'desire to be social' feeling back. I feel quite isolated right now partially because all I talk about is 'Jack Kruse' stuff.
    No sunlight at all right now. Man I need it!!