1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The PCOS Support Thread!

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by August, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Grizz

Grizz New Member

Dr. Michael B. Schachter says, “The treatment dose when a person is iodine insufficient is generally between 12.5 mg and 50 mg daily. Preliminary research indicates that if a person is iodine insufficient, it takes about 3 months to become iodine sufficient while ingesting a dosage of 50 mg of iodine and a year to become iodine sufficient while ingesting a dosage of 12.5 mg of iodine daily. However, the patient needs to be monitored closely with awareness of possible side effects and detoxification reactions.” This is quite a bit of iodine and if his statements can be substantiated then most people are using dosages which are much too low.

Rest of the article here:

http://iodine.imva.info/index.php/iodine-dosages/

Edit: The Iodine Doctors don't recommend Nascent Iodine, they only recommend Lugols or iodoral because they have both iodine & iodide in the correct ratios.

Grizz

2. indigogirl

indigogirl Silver

August, I got the 5% Lugols at Amazon. They also have the 2%. I think it was J. Crow's...

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Depends on your dosage... the 5% solution has 6.25mg of iodine per vertical drop.

4. Grizz

Grizz New Member

I just ran into this tip for PCOS in my travels: Since it is from the highly respected Dr. Dach, I thought it was worthwhile to post it here:

Has anyone tried this? Comments?

Grizz

5. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

I'm on progesterone cream but have no cycle, so I take daily, morning and night. I just bought a cream with progesterone, pregnelone and 7-Keto DHEA in it, so I will see how that goes.

On another note, those of you struggling with PCOS, how do you handle cravings? It seems for the longest time, BAB with lots of fat killed those cravings, then I had to do a glucose reading (i.e. ingest sugar) for my doc to diagnose LR and PCOS, and ever since, I have had horrible cravings and have had a hard time not binging, even though I eat a BAB each morning. This follows with restrictive eating, and I'm afraid is leading to an unhealthy cycle of an ED. Help? Thoughts?

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I just had a lengthy conversation with Dr Kalish today about neurotransmitters and eating behavior/EDs... you might want to check out his work. He actually works together with an ED therapist and her clients. He's convinced that much disordered eating is based in neurotransmitter dysfunctions.... especially bad if you've had problems for a long time and they're not resolving on a clean diet.

7. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Thank you! I will look into this.

8. Patty Cakes

Patty Cakes Silver

August, 152 for DHEA is a low result. At one time he said anything under 160 he considers as deficient. I'm thinking if ideal is 250-380 and he wants the hormones results in the top quartile then you (and me!) want to be at minimum 340-350 to be in the upper quartile. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong....

9. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I hope things have improved for you.

I almost want to curse about your friend...I'll refrain. I am in the SAME situation (re: people that can 'eat what they want and still stay skinny and these are MENOPAUSAL women too...thought you're supposed to gain weight...? I bet that will only be me :-() I always feel alone now. It sucks and I want to scream about un-fairness.

It's true that even not worrying about 'fat' that I would still want to eat healthy, b/c I DO feel way better. But to be honest, I feel like I am negatively impacted now (July)...where it is affecting my social life. For example, I declined TWO things b/c I was soooooo freaking afraid of having to eat **** (and not the ****...but getting fat from them). I HATE it....

Yes, I used to be stupidly afraid of the cold. I think CT has REALLY helped me there...so at least that's a good thing.

Sigh. I feel bad too right now. (But hopefully you're feeling better now).

10. PaleoCowgirl

PaleoCowgirl New Member

Doc wants to put me on metformin to regain my cycle, control insulin levels and help with pcos. Anybody use it with success?

11. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Haven't done that but PCP is considering it along w/cycloset based upon Jacks recommendation. She was ready to write the rx but when we started looking at my labs - she asked me to do another consult w/him b/c my labs were not what we expected. She wants verification we're on the right track!

I think for me we have to answer did PCOS drive the LR or was it something else???

12. Grizz

Grizz New Member

August,

You are correct. Dr. Brownstein recommends 50mg as our maintenance dose in order to overcome the amount of Halogen Toxins entering our body everyday. I am currently on 150mg a day & near the end of my detox cycle.

I plan to drop down to 25mg daily for maintenance because:

* My drinking water is filtered from a well and has no chlorine or Fluorides

* I use a fluoride free toothpaste

* We don't eat bread with bromides

* We are on a strict Paleo Diet and we read labels.

Not to Worry. Dr. Brownstein, the Yahoo Iodine Group, BreastCancerChoices, and Curezone have all proven 100++mg of iodine to be perfectly safe if taken with the required co-supplements:

- - ½ tsp Natural Celtic Salt, Himalayan Pink Salt, Redmonds Salt or Hawaiin black salt

- - - If the sea salt is pure white, it is unacceptable (minerals have been stripped out )

- - 200 mcg selenium (L-selenomethionine preferred)

- - 400 mg Magnesium - Glycinate preferred

- - 2,000mg Vitamin C - Ester-C preferred - do not take with iodine

- - ATP Cofactors caplet contains both 100mg B2 & 500mg B3 non-flushing in the correct ratio. Take 1/2 caplet with iodine up to 25mg, then one caplet for each 50 mg iodine,

Grizz

13. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So - today I pick up my cycloset (Like Jack predicted - my Pharmacy had to special order it!) so I'll be taking my 1st dose tomorrow morning when I wake up... getting my butt outside for some AM Light therapy, strapping on some Ice packs for some spot CT - and testing my FBG before sitting down to a BAB.

Hoping the cycloset will not only reset my circadian cycles, but that it will also lower my FBG - if not we'll be looking at adding Metaformin (Which my PCP doesn't like to use - b/c she hasn't had a lot of success w/it for her patients - not sure if that's b/c they're not eating a clean low carb diet or something else)

Still working on the T and E-Dominance, and Low Pg. I know I need more Pg as I had a migraine from Hell yesterday - cycle day 24 - like clock work - for the past 3 cycles day 24 migraine - and TOTM on day 26 - so I expect TOTM to show up tomorrow! after talking w/Colleen - I'm changing the application location of the Pg - b/c it seems like I'm not absorbing it.... Jack may be right that I need additional Pg in the form of 200mg of prometrium - PCP wants me to see how changing the application site works and stay w/Dzugan's recommendations for now - We'll retests in September - a full set of labs... and go from there....

14. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

what would be the best application sites. I am using my forearms and neck?

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Colleen recommended I try the area on the inside of the arm from the elbow to the armpit( but not in the armpit!!

16. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

17. freshveggies

freshveggies Silver

Thank you. Another place to try.

18. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

19. Jude

Jude Gold

Fascinating Gretchen, read each blog!...good to digest how you are employing Dr K's protocol .. shared real life experiences certainly help. Would like to send link to my friend-will have to explain the23andme thing--but think that's probably the only explanation necessary for a non geek........so hard to enthall folk with all the details but your diary is a beauty-thanks.

20. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Stat paging Jude... I sent you a PM. Lauren