1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The ORP and pH of water - drinking oxidizing vs. anti-oxidant water

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by sjoshua, Apr 29, 2015.

1. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

This site has a great description of both pH and ORP (Oxidation Reduction Potential), for gathering a basic understanding.

http://www.aquahealthproducts.com/understanding-ph-and-orp

In summary,

'oxidizing' = electron steal
    'anti-oxidizing' = electron giving

As with anything, balance is the key: which is why consuming too many 'anti-oxidant' foods (i.e. electron giving foods) can be as problematic as not consuming enough. Overloading a battery is no good...

But, what if we could be drinking an anti-oxidant solution?

I plan to explore this further.

Here is one using an ionizer to create it, but that could be quite pricey...
    http://www.health-science-spirit.com/highorp.html

Whenever there is an 'expensive' (read: complex) way to do something, there is bound to be a simple way.

2. sjoshua

sjoshua New Member

::chirp chirp:: <- the crickets that took over since I took so long to post :)

Anywho, I've been running a some experiments with water and wanted to share some results. First, let's calibrate our meters:
    ORP meter in 225mV solution:
    [​IMG]

pH meter in 7.0 solution:
    [​IMG]

Tap water (San Jose):
    [​IMG]

RO water (tap water ran through 5-stage RO system): You'll notice the ORP is slightly better than tap but not by much :\ still 'stealing'. (Starting values: ORP: 248; pH: 9.0)
    [​IMG]

Now, let's add some stuff to RO water!

First, we will add ~1g of vitamin C (it was one of these ground up: http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Vitamin-Sustained-Release-Tablets/dp/B0013P1GD6/): You'll notice a nice drop in ORP, and also a sharp drop in pH. (running tally adjustments: ORP: -160 pH: -4.0)
    [​IMG]

Next, we will add in a 1-2g baking soda: You'll notice the pH corrects somewhat, and ORP also decreases a little more - yay no longer 'stealing'! (running tally adjustments: ORP: -254 pH: -1.8)
    [​IMG]

And now for the finale, we will add in a VERY small amount of Sodium Borohydride (10-15mg - one of these spoons worth, which is like a pinch with infant fingers): Boom shaka-locka, HUGE drop in ORP :) (running tally adjustments: ORP: -730 pH: -1.8)
    [​IMG]

I neither support or suggest anyone else consume things they are not comfortable with, but I wanted to share these results from my own N=1. I have been drinking my morning bottle of water with this amount of Sodium Borohydride in it for a couple of weeks now (I rarely add the vit C and baking soda, but did so for the demo) and it gives me a little mental 'buzz'. I have no other 'case studies' to share on the results side.

dantothep and fitness@home like this.
  3. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

Thanks for posting the pics to go along with your story. Visual person here!

Interesting, very interesting...