1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

THE MTHFR TEST FOR YOU TO CARRY

Discussion in 'Biohacking 101' started by Jack Kruse, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY DOCTOR CAN TREAT MTHFR WELL?

Dear All: I have had several recent requests for a doctor knowledgeable about MTHFR in or near a certain town. As I have done for all my beloved patients and friends in the past....here's the 411!:

MTHFR or Methylation has become an industry buzz word....and everyone wants on the bandwagon! Often, patents are tested only for MTHFR (C677T and/or A1298C) and uninformed, inexperienced physicians are prescribing Deplin, 5MTHF, or the like with no knowledge or consideration of the other pathways. Frequently, patients react negatively to the aforementioned and I get the above stated request.

Treating MTHFR without investigation of the other single nucleotide polymorphisms (snps) is a "crap shoot" at best. At a minimum investigation of the Detox pathways, methylation/transufuration pathways, Kreb's/ATP pathways, as well as COMT, MAO etc. together with a good history and consideration of other lab tests is necessary to properly perform nutrigenomics (the optimization of biochemical pathways with nutrients). I think you get the idea....so, let me make this light and amusing with your kind indulgence my friends! Presenting the Top Ten (five, really) reasons to not treat with a health care provider who claims to "do MTHFR/Methylation":

5. Keeps calling MTHFR the "Mother Father" gene or worse.
    4.. Cannot explain what MTHFR does and how it leads to certain symptoms
    3. Has a bewildered look on his face when you show him the pathways that you copied from Dr. Yasko
    2. Conversationally mentions other pathways but breaks sweat when you ask him which of your snps are involved (since he hasn't tested them)
    1. You produce a list of snps and mention a few and watch him turn different colors when you ask him what they mean (FYI ladies, there is nothing more frightening to a doctor than a woman with a list---Tip: position yourself between him and the door. If his office is higher than the 2nd floor....he's trapped!)

DRUMROLL.........The quickest phrase that will set you screaming into the night and out of his office....

"There is no scientific evidence that these other snps have anything to do with you health, dear. Besides, it's all in your head"

cantweight, fitness@home and caroline like this.
  2. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

HAHAHAHA so true about the List things. the VA Docs really hated that when I came in with those, or current Journal articles.....

cantweight likes this.
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

My DH had a cardiologist that would turn green when I came along with my lists .... he became very unresponsive and sullen ... not conducive to a good appointment let alone being of some help.

The first appointment we ever had with him - I took along a bag of supplements that Doug was on from our GP.... like vit D and VitC etc .. all the usual suspects .... I thought he would want to know.

The cardiologist said if we wanted him to treat Doug we had to toss the supps. he said it was him or them......

we had waited 12 weeks for that appointment....

Josh (Paleo Osteo) likes this.
  4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

5. Hope2Learn

Hope2Learn We are all connected.

Or in my own experience it goes like this....

*conversationally mentions DNA testing and SNPs and is surprised and encouraged when doctor asks for a link to the Promethease results*

*doctor takes a week to reply to your email containing the link, and when she does reply she says "that looks very interesting but I think you have to be a geneticist to understand it" and then never mentions any of it again*

(only slightly less disturbing than the alternative reply... "MTHFR is only important if you have fertility issues".)

6. kovita

kovita Gold

from my esperience the best MTHFR doc is epipaleo lifestyle combined with patience

Inger and Shijin13 like this.
  7. Marie

Marie New Member

LOL, how did I miss this?

One more: "Oh, we have electronic medical systems, what do you expect me to do with all that paperwork?"
    Dismissive, much?

Shijin13 likes this.
  8. cantweight

cantweight Gold

Realizing now why I like my doc so much....he loves my lists! Gets excited to research answers he doesn't know.....admits what he doesn't know and consults colleagues <---- I love that!

Told me my snps were no where near as bad as I thought....the one that concerned him VDR/Taq....and it seems rightfully so.

Sometimes I think...Oh if only he had been my doc from the beginning may be things would have been easier.....but he had to have his own problems before he became the doc he is now....maybe that is how we should look for docs; find those that have been in a sick state and learned to truly find wellness. Hmmmmm.....

9. Cpt.Tired

Cpt.Tired New Member

My MD told me "There is no evidence that vitamin D does anything".
    I wanted to smack him.