1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The most important thing you need to know about Diet and Exercise

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I remember when I first read The Paleo Diet for Athletes. I threw the book down when I read I should eat 12 ounces of salmon and cantaloupe for breakfast. I was addicted to my healthy whole grain breakfast cereal with skim milk. How could I give that up!?! It took a few weeks for the ideas to sink in and for me to become receptive to making a major change. I admire both of you for bringing up the topic with people who are in need and willing to listen.

2. Stephen

Stephen New Member

I've got to wonder how anyone who says "I could never give up eating X" doesn't eventually stop for a minute and think..."hey wait that's not right, it's just food, why would I feel this way about any one particular food." I've seen the reaction kathylu describes and the resistance you're describing Lyndra too many times to count. I've had friends tell me explicitly that they've stopped eating bread and a few minutes later directly contradict themselves in passing or I've later seen stacks of pizza boxes in their house.

A theory that I've been kicking around in my head is this is (at least in part) the effect of grains messing with opiate receptors. If you were a plant (a grass, e.g. wheat) and you convinced a bunch of domesticated pack hunting apes with a penchant for tool making (technological prosthesis) to bulldoze the competition and plant you in their stead you would be self selecting through a symbiotic relationship for your survival over other plant species.

Stephen

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Stephen its not a stupid theory.......its what happens

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I think Jack's done a great job of leading us to this path to optimal. If he had just laid it all out, we would have focused on the unusual stuff (ice baths? oysters for breakfast? No watermelon in the winter? Turn off the TV at night?!?!) and dismissed it all outright.

5. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Here's a great article on the "cornification" of us....

http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/when-a-crop-becomes-king/

So it seems corn has indeed become king. We have given it more of our land than any other plant, an area more than twice the size of New York State. To keep it well fed and safe from predators we douse it with chemicals that poison our water and deepen our dependence on foreign oil. And then in order to dispose of all the corn this cracked system has produced, we eat it as fast as we can in as many ways as we can—turning the fat of the land into, well, fat. One has to wonder whether corn hasn’t at last succeeded in domesticating us.

6. seanbecs

seanbecs New Member

Nice advice Barry,I would love to consider this for myself and would also suggest it to all my friends and families...

7. seanbecs

seanbecs New Member

Nice advice Barry,I would love to consider this for myself and would also suggest it to all my friends and families... This would definitely benefit all of them considering me as well..Keep updating like this...

8. janagram

janagram New Member

(who's Barry?) lol

9. Jimmy82

Jimmy82 New Member

Yes Indeed is a very informative and productive post..

And i do really appreciate you for providing us with your thoughts and knowledge...

But i must say that at some time in some ones life He do need proper coach for him/her self because i have seen many patients living in old care centers where they do need to spend their lives like others but can't due to their diseases and other problems and stuff..

If a went a little bit irrelevant i do really apologize for that...

Basically the place where i work the admin and the citizens have decided so to hire an instructor for exercises who will guide the seniors in a proper manner so that they can become fit and healthy./.

10. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

I am starting training again in September (martial arts) and I feel so much better on seafood! It's quite amazing. I also feel that my memory is gradually improving. I felt that I was having some difficulties over the last year (LOL can't even say it's due to age...) but these symptoms are reversing for me now.

I am very grateful for the epi-paleo compared to regular Paleo...I feel it just addresses those 'extra details'.

11. Zorica Vuletic

Yes, I especially appreciate the circadian biology of this plan. I go to bed at 10 pm most nights. I feel that I still sleep a bit 'much' as I usually wake up around 7am. I would like to wake up earlier than that...but for now I just listen to my body and let it get the rest it wants. In time I will probably be able to wake up earlier without problem.

12. Zorica Vuletic

Plus my room situation is such that in order to block out excessive light from the street lights RIGHT OUTSIDE my window, I use dark towels to cover it, thus I get minimal sun in my room in the morning. Also, my room is west facing. This changes in September fortunately as my room will (most likely) be east facing. (If not it will be south). My room will also not have over exposure of lights since I'll be in a beautiful residential area---BUSY HIGHWAY BEGONE!! It will feel like a luxary!

13. james121wade

james121wade New Member

Great job barry...

essential nutrients in the diet will play an important role to live healthy and happy life.

As per health prospective, it is very necessary to eat healthy diet constntaly.