1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The most important thing you need to know about Diet and Exercise

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

If I had a dollar or a euro (would rather the euro ;-)) for every time I got asked "whats the best" tip/advice/strategy to can give to keto adapt, increase fat burning, improve endurance, etc etc... I would be a very rich man !

The best tip I can give is this... "there ain't no"... by that I mean there is no single thing that will improve your health or fitness. Everything related to how you function optimally is down to the accumulation of marginal gains from every aspect of well-being from food to sleep to thoughts to exercise. Further more, and arguably more important to realise is this - there is no priority list. You are as strong as your weakest link.

Let me put this into perspective. You might be the most paleo individual known to man. You hunt your prey, grow your own vegetables and climb tree's and lift rocks. However, you don't sleep well and work causes a lot of stress. So what happens then is that you have raised cortisol, poor GH secretion and suppressed immunity i.e. your not that healthy. To anyone else though, you are super fit and healthy. You are ticking practically every paleo box. Then you ask someone what the best supplement is for improving ketosis. They tell you to take high dose's of l-carnitine and omega 3's. But nothing happens. The reason nothing happens is that your sleep and stress problems completely override anything you try to improve related to food or exercise.

It might be the most minute detail that is not allowing you to achieve optimal health. It could be as simple as a "thought". It could be eliminating the grass fed unpastuerised yoghurt you are eating that is causing your leaky gut. It could be anything. The only person who is truly able to work that out is you.

People are forgetting the most important thing Jack has done here. Its not the cold. Its not sleep. Its not seafood. Its not PQQ or Krill Oil. The most important thing Jack has done in my opinion is in his words "connect the dots"... thats what its all about. I knew about Leptin, AMPk, Sirt-1, UCP's etc etc... what I didn't know is how all these things are intrinsically linked. Thats the key.

So the best advice I have for anyone trying to improve their health is this: do not look for magic bullets, they don't exist. Rather, look to improve every aspect of your life from nutrition to thoughts no matter how big or small they may seem. Everything counts. Nothing is more important than the other. You are as strong as your weakest link.

Finally, don't try to be perfect. There is no perfect. There is whats perfect for you, the individual. Thats what matters. Do whats right for you and don't listen to what the so called "experts" claim.

"Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined"

Barry

2. tercay@yahoo.com

tercay@yahoo.com New Member

Excellent advice, Barry. Thank you Dr Kruse for helping us "connect the dots". Your Quilt is an ingenious tapestry that with each thread that you weave gives us the big picture.

3. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I've never been one to chase the magic bullets, but I have come up with a very sustainable way of life involving eating right, exercising, and using cold to my benefit.

I take minimal supplements (green tea extract, resveratrol, Vit D3, krill oil, and kelp). I eat mainly grass-fed or wild animals/fish, lots of veggies, and 100% dark chocolate. I do body weight exercises and sprint on occasion. Since I live in a cold place, I get as cold as I can as often.

I'm a 46yo male, 5'11. 3 years ago I was 250lbs, had gout, high bp, high trigs, high ldl, low hdl, fatty liver disease, pre-diabetes, hypothyroid, sleep apnea, and a ravenous appetite. Now, I'm 164lbs, on no medicine, trigs and hdl both 60. Sleep great, eat great, no hint of gout in 2 years.

I could probably quit any number of the things I do and still be very healthy...but if it works, don't fix it, right?

4. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Barry I agree...I was having a conversation with someone about this, and I said that to me it does not necessarily matter where all the information originated from, and I have not seen an instance where Jack has not credited someone. Jack has a gift for synthesizing it all, and making it practical to apply...it may seem very complicated to people who first approach the blog, but really the principles are simple and all inclusive.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

This is where the Quilt idea came from........I think the critics want to frame my words with their thoughts........for them to understand. You need to just read it and connect your own dots......become your own inner guru. My goal is to teach you how to connect the dots until you realize what your doing for yourself. The plaoe dogma right now things you eat one way and everything rights the ship........go around to internet forums and look around.......is that what you see? I dont and that is why the paleo insurgents get pissed at me. I am pointing out that the diet is not the be all end all for everyone.......its more complicated than that.

6. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I do have an answer for people when they ask this. I tell them to not eat four hours before going to sleep. I say this because i believe it is very important but also because i think it may be the most accessible change. It costs absolutely zero and initially involves no extreme diet change. You want to eat crap? Fine eat crap, just don't do it for four hours before sleep. You will be better off. Then I tell them to do all of Jack's protocols!

7. Barry

Barry New Member

Dali Dula,

Ironically , that defeats the whole point I am trying to make !

There is no "best" tip. This is the antithesis of what achieving optimal health is all about. Being healthy is about creating a new normal , it's about finding out for yourself what makes you feel good , and ultimately it's about incorporating all the best health practices so that they become 2nd nature and sustainable .

This is where people go wrong. While the "4hr" last feed before sleep has its merits , it's only one of a zillion things that can improve your health . By singling it out and making someone believe that this is the best step for them to take is creating a subconscious distraction. They make the effort to change their eating habits around sleep, yet they neglect other important nutrition principles . Not only that , but the change requires them to make an effort and forced behavioural change because you told them to. This is another counter productive move. People make better changes when they decide for themselves . It means they are making the change based on their own free will. This makes the behavioural change easier and more importantly, it means that they will make it a long term change .

So to echo Jacks comment above, the best advice we can give to people is to point them in the right direction with a really good map . Let them then read the map as much and as quickly as they like. Let them choose their own route and let them enjoy the journey. They might fall off the track now and again, they might find a faster route or they might take the scenic route. But the key to it all is that they are finding their own way and will eventually get to their destination !

Nothing is more important than the other, everything matters.

8. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

I guess I see the 4 hr thing as a way to take the first of many baby steps towards the challenging practice of changing our lives. You are correct in that we all need to own our bodies and the quest to optimal is not one fix. I believe the 4 hr thing would let people feel better and get their bodies repairing with the least struggle. My motivation toward optimal began with my desire to treat/heal T2D without meds. Now I pursue this because I feel amazing and am in the best shape of my life and I continue to maximize that. So this to me is about accesibilty, simplicity and effectiveness. It introduces people to some circadian correctness while providing a +/- 12 hr fast and an opportunity for the body to autophagy. That's a lot of benefit from a simple change. Peace on. Keep chilling.

9. curves64

curves64 Silver

One of the best posts I've read. Thank you Barry.

10. Tita

Tita New Member

Great post Barry. Thank you!

11. Barry

Barry New Member

You're welcome curves64

12. Barry

Barry New Member

Thanks Tita

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Each one of us has a treasure map to optimal in us.......the real problem is optimal for humans is like a finger print or a retinal picture.......unique. Using the concepts will show the user which ones are more important for you and how your epigenetic switches are set.

14. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I think that is soooomthe key here, we are all different and will have a different journey depending on the state we begin in. What I have discovered here in the blog and the forum is, there is no easy answer, and my mileage may vary. What I have also discovered is a wealth of knowledge in connecting my own dots.... And why things have not worked in the past for me the same as for others. And now I see things working because of what I have put into action here. And there are so many moving parts!

I see what Dali Dula is saying though... You have to start somewhere. For me it was VLC. Then 'leptin rx' eating rules/timing...then cutting out wine. Then installing flux. Then getting orange glasses. Then WEARING them! Starting CT. Earthing during CT in the ocean. Celaning up my food sources... Finding Grassfed animals. Adding more seafood. Finding the supplements..... And the list goes on.

The more I read the more things I find to change. And inch by inch it's a cinch. If someone told me to do all this on Day 1, I'd have been waaay too daunted. but as I have discovered things....on my own, nobody with a gun to my head..... I have changed. I'm glad I found this blog before the book because honestly the book may overwhelm many!! I hope not. The thing is to start somewhere and keep adding the bricks that pave your personal road to optimal. I'm sure Jack has that message in there.

Discovering at my own pace and the way jack has forced us to process this ourselves, be curious, and ask questions, has given me OWNERSHIP of the process, which I have found extremely gratifying, and endlessly motivating, in a way that being spoon fed might never have done.

Weight loss is a side effect on the road to optimal, and that's the goal for me now. I thank God for Jack and for the community he has created - all of you. I'm learning so much from all of you who take your time to share....so unselfishly....thank you!!

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The more you find the more you change........sounds a bit like epigenetics no?

16. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Well after the factor x seminar I'm finding all sorts of things....that's for sure! The 'urgency' in making those changes has cranked up considerably for me!! N but so has my optimism that these changes will have a DRAMATIC effect on my future. If only I didn't spend the last 20 years morbidly obese....but... The future will be different indeed.

17. lusie

lusie New Member

Hey bary, this post is not only good for keeping our self healthy, but I think this post is inspiration for people who want to get good health using some false product which will not give them good result but give them some side effect's. This post will really helpful for making life healthy in natural way with believing in our self.

18. AKMan

AKMan New Member

This thread has haunted me ever since I read it a few weeks ago. While it is very true that there are no 'one-size-fits-all' answers, there are a lot of generalities you can make when people ask how the can get their health back.

Being a retired military man, I have a lot of middle-aged, overweight, male friends. They are all in shock when the see me, especially if it's been a while. First they ask if I am dying of something (since only deathly sick people lose weight anymore!), when I assure them I am not, they start asking what I did and what they can do. For me to tell them 'There ain't no...' would be a huge disservice.

I tell anyone who will listen that they need to do two simple things to get their life on track.

1. Quit eating crap, especially sugar, vegetable oil, and processed grains.

2. Start moving, walk every day and lift something heavy a couple times a week.

If they take the bait, it usually results in follow-up conversations where we talk about exercise routines, dietary advice, intermittant fasting, testing labs, great websites, sleep, supplements, leptin reset, cold thermogenesis, eating patterns, little tricks, and all that.

Sadly, most lose interest when you say 'quit eating sugar', but I have enlightened many people and have turned around at least a dozen people who were pretty bad off. In the end, it must be an individual journey to optimal, but a few well-placed words can make a huge difference.

19. kathylu

kathylu Gold

Thanks AkMan. I just had a disappointing exchange with my sister, who is thin but quite ill. I am overweight and much much healthier than she is. However, she thinks I am going to drop dead any day! I have told her the key to eliminating her IBS, gout, Sjogren's and RA may lie in eliminating grains and dairy and I suggested gently that she might want to start by reading "Wheatbelly" by William Davis. My goodness, you would have thought I suggested she drink cyanide! She literally yelled that there was no way she would ever give up oatmeal, healthy whole grains and dairy! How could I even suggest such a thing?

So, I like your gentle approach. Although sadly, I think these changes may never come to the people we love most. They seem to be the ones with the largest blinders on.

20. villjamur_stevenson

villjamur_stevenson New Member

I find the biggest thing we can do is to inspire curiosity. Once someone starts thinking, they research for ideas on how to change. Once they do the research - then we can guide them to the proper path. But without that initial spark, it ain't going nowhere.