1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The more DHA you eat the more gets into your tissues

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Jack Kruse, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Ben777

Ben777 New Member

Reg. DHA fish/supplementation intake. I did read this, and other related threads. I understand the “qualitative” take-aways”. I did not see a reference to “quantitative”, except that it’s “never too much”. From what I read, for example 1 kg of fresh salmon per week, moderately cooked gives only 500mg/day. (1) Any ballpark number/range that one should aspire to? (2) if “cannot” be suffice by food, still better take supplements to complement, I guess? How much? (I did read what you wrote that it’s a poor alternative and I do understand that dependent also on UV, nnEMF, and other factors, yet I seek a guide-line-number/s). Thank you!

2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

supplement? Not smart

3. Ben777

Ben777 New Member

OK, no DHA supplements - I will follow that. Still, I ask: Any ballpark number/range that one should aspire to, for daily or weekly mcg intake of DHA from sea-food? (I do understand the qualitative issues that it’s dependent also on UV, nnEMF, and other factors, yet I seek a guide-line-number). Thanks.

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Don't survive, thrive. Do life soaring. Our cells read and react to our environment; it shapes us and we are shaped by it.
    1. Look at the sun every morning and get 30-90 minutes outside every day
    2. Be grounded.........100% of the time
    3. Drink good water.
    4. Avoid blue light and nnEMF.
    5. eat seasonally for your latitude longitude and altitude, add seafood based upon how much you disconnect from nature.

How hard is that?

Sean Waters, Brent Patrick and Danny like this.
  5. To answer this question will be a little difficult, Ben....you never know exactly how much DHA the fish in question has.
    Also you have to consider that DHA is paramagnetic. So in order to get into cell membranes etc. it needs a good magnetic field provided by the mitochondria. As this varies in every person due to individual context, redox potential, environment etc, the amount of ingested DHA reaching the target tissue will also differ.

Danny and lohd2015 like this.
  6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

TIME 9 answers it clearly if you read it

7. Penny

Penny New Member

All I know is when I eat a can of oysters at dinnertime - hell a few days ago I ate one at 10:30 due to a screw-up of eating too many strawberries that day - I was starving, knew the night would be screwed so I remembered somewhere that Dr. K ate a crap-ton of oysters one night and slept like a log - worked like a charm... in fact, it works so well, I have been eating a can of them at dinnertime for the last week - I think it has tons of bioavailable zinc plus electrons (maybe cause the oyster doesn't move so it keeps more electrons?) plus DHA - I would *so* love to know how an oyster works - like its mito transport chain and its photosynthesis - and why does it have more zinc than anything in the ocean? Like, what's the diff between a clam and an oyster? Except an oyster looks more prehistoric... :) It has so much more zinc - how does an oyster use zinc - yet another transition metal - does it use it like magnesium in plants? I read the blogs over and over and I still don't get this part... maybe if I could fathom how an oyster worked I could fathom how we do...

8. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Penny, can you tell us what brand of canned oysters do you eat? The ones we get here in Texas are all from China. I've tried 'fresh' oysters in see through containers in the refrigerated section from Washington State. My system doesn't like them. I nearly fainted after eating some a few months ago. (I had no carbs/protein that day, only coconut oil) Nutrients too dense and body can't handle it?
    Then again, I have had no trouble eating raw oysters with no carbs/protein in the system. Really can't figure that one out.

Same thing happened to me in a restaurant two weeks ago. I had fried frogs legs which were previously frozen. Almost passed out on the floor. (And I even had pickled herrings several hours prior to that meal). I knew better and asked for some table sugar. Solved the problem instantly. Something about processed 'fresh' seafood my body can't handle. I can eat canned sardines, canned mackerel without problems.
    Wonder if there are chemicals involved in the processing of fresh seafood.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  9. Penny

Penny New Member

I get the canned oysters at Trader Joes - here they are on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Prince-...e=UTF8&qid=1458608137&sr=1-1&keywords=oysters

They are in a BPA can... maybe that's part of it? BPA - I think - are estrogenic - if that means they bind to the receptors preventing estrogen from doing so or giving you more estrogen - beats the hell out of me:)

Oysters are a weird bird - they have to be harvested at the correct time of year or they can be contaminated and make you ill - I talked at length to a raw oyster farmer at our local beach and I forget when they harvest them but they said they have a very low likelihood of being contaminated - so, maybe your "bottled oysters" were simply picked at the wrong time:
    http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2010/10/florida-warns-residents-of-eating-raw-oysters/

Not sure it's wise to just eat coconut oil all day?

As far as frogs go, there are a lot fewer of them and thus they may harbor more toxins:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/07/frogs-legs-extinction

"But those days are long gone. As elsewhere in the world, the amphibians' habitat in France – where frogs' legs have been a recognised and much remarked-upon part of the national diet for the best part of 1,000 years – is increasingly at risk, from pollution, pesticides and other man-made ills. Ponds have been drained and replaced with crops and cattle-troughs. Diseases have taken their toll, and the insects that frogs feed on are disappearing too. Alarmed by a rapid and dramatic fall in frog numbers, the French ministry of agriculture and fisheries began taking measures to protect the country's species in 1976; by 1980, commercial frog harvesting was banned.

These days, a few regional authorities in France still allow the capture of limited numbers of frogs, strictly for personal consumption and provided they are broiled, fried or barbecued and consumed on the spot (a heresy not even Boeuf is prepared to contemplate). There are poachers who defy the ban; two years ago a court in Vesoul in the Haute-Saone convicted four men of harvesting vast numbers of frogs from the Mille-Etangs or Thousand Lakes area of the Vosges. The ringleader admitted to personally catching at least 10,000, which he sold to restaurants for 32 cents apiece."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    lohd2015 likes this.
  10. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Penny, thank you sincerely for your thoughts, link to oysters and the fascinating and informative article on frogs.

You are absolutely correct to be concerned about eating coconut oil all day. For that, I must apologize for not explaining in detail. Several months ago (before I knew better) I was doing keto plus IF. I would eat about 3 tablespoons of coconut oil around hour 15, then have my main meal 2 hours later. The oysters was the main meal that day. I don't think they were contaminated because my husband ate even more oysters from the same jar, and the oysters were cooked in organic heavy cream. So right now, the only thing I can come up with is both the oysters and frog's legs had some mild toxins that the body can normally handle but with my trashed mitochondria, I needed extra glucose to deal with it. The frog's legs were probably more toxic because I had eaten a healthy portion of pickled herrings about 2 hours before the meal, and should have enough glucose to deal with the situation.

I am post menopause, and actually don't know how BPA and the estrogenic effects you described may affect me. Normally, I don't feel anything from eating canned foods that has BPA (not that I eat canned foods regularly). There is just so much to learn! Life is just a miracle.

I am truly grateful for Doc and his patient guidance and endless supply of INCREDIBLE knowledge, and the support, encouragement and help from Forum members like yourself. Thank you again.

11. Penny

Penny New Member

Remember to ground... yesterday I was in the sun all day barefoot and forgot to eat lunch - wasn't hungry and didn't even eat that much breakfast -

lohd2015 likes this.
  12. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

I ate 17 raw Bluepoint oysters (at this great restaurant called Foreign & Domestic in Austin), followed by an appetizer of sweetbreads, then three exquisitely prepared scallops as main course. I thought life could not get better until I came home and read Doc's post in Endless' journal.

April 19th, 2016. A truly special day for me.

So, my question remains: what on earth can be in processed 'fresh' oysters and other seafood like frogs legs that caused me to almost pass out like that?

Danny likes this.
  13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Filter feeders also provide us another benefit few here realize........viruses to alter our flora and bio films.

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

That is the clean up crew in the gut for humans. It is akin to a fecal transplant.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

There are two reason oysters and bi valves are at the top of the list. We have focused on DHA but people forgot the viral marketing post from Brain gut 2. Caroline asked me what were the two post that were most important: BG 2 and EMF2. Anyone who heard the April 2016 webinar should really appreciate EMF2. BG2 is massively important.......as the quantum change agent of evolutionary design that gave us our UV repair mechanisms.

Brent Patrick, Penny and lohd2015 like this.
  16. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

Yesterday, in one of the oysters I ate, there was a partially digested piece of something that looked like the head of a small shrimp. I looked at it for a long time after I took it out of my mouth. Didn't have enough dopamine to swallow it. It has been rainy and cloudy here for the past week.
    Is that unusual to be found inside an oyster?

17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Oysters are filter feeders only

18. lohd2015

lohd2015 New Member

That's what I thought. Most curious indeed.

19. NeilBB

NeilBB New Member

Little sea creatures can get trapped in the shells. No big deal.

Brent Patrick, digital and lohd2015 like this.
  20. Jenelle

Jenelle Evolving

Reading the gut benefits of oysters Jack is posting + better dopamine lately, for sure = I am about ready to give oysters a shot again!

I also just wanted to say, in case it helps you or anyone here ~ I got a bunch of BPA-free oysters on Amazon... Subscribe & Save option. I believe they are called Crown Prince Naturals.

lohd2015 likes this.