1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The Journal of an Outlier

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Outlier, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Outlier

Outlier Gold

I've been trying to start my journal for literally weeks now and have finally sat down to put it together. I will try to break things up into small chunks so folks don't have to read a book for just one post. Hopefully this will give an idea of my history as well as where I'm at now and then I can continue to document the journey.

⦁ Basic Info
    ⦁ 53 yr old female
    ⦁ 5'8 245lbs
    ⦁ 2 girls, 35 and 34 yrs old​
    ⦁ Location
    ⦁ Colorado Springs, CO past 40 years​
    ⦁ From
    ⦁ Originally from Virginia
    ⦁ All family relatives, maternal and paternal from VA​
    ⦁ Family History
    ⦁ Maternal Grandmother (deceased)
    ⦁ Diabetes
    ⦁ Parkinson's​
    ⦁ Maternal Grandfather (deceased)
    ⦁ Emphysema​
    ⦁ Mother (deceased)
    ⦁ Lifelong smoker (even during chemo)
    ⦁ Breast cancer​
    ⦁ Father (deceased)
    ⦁ High blood pressure
    ⦁ COPD​
    ⦁ Sister
    ⦁ Lifelong smoker/drugs/alcohol
    ⦁ COPD​
    ⦁ Brother
    ⦁ Significant weight gain in recent years
    ⦁ Has been generally healthy all of his life​

2. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Brief History
    ⦁ Always 'bigger' than peers in height and weight since a child
    ⦁ At 14 years old, was 5'8 and 180lbs​
    ⦁ Have always been sensitive to the sun and heat
    ⦁ After moving to Colorado, realized what it was like to breathe through my nose (I have mold allergies)
    ⦁ First pregnancy at 18 yrs old
    ⦁ Gained 10lbs during the pregnancy
    ⦁ Regularly walked 9 miles a day during the entire pregnancy
    ⦁ No complications
    ⦁ Birth took over 2 hours due to cord around the baby's neck (not a full loop)
    ⦁ Natural childbirth; zero drugs
    ⦁ Healthy baby girl
    ⦁ She developed buldging disks in early 20s
    ⦁ She developed fibromyalgia shortly after​
    ⦁ Nursed for about a month but had no milk production and had to bottle feed there after​
    ⦁ Second pregnancy 19 years old
    ⦁ Body did not have time to recover from first pregnancy
    ⦁ Did not have ability to eat well if at all
    ⦁ Was not able to walk as I did during the first pregnancy
    ⦁ Gained 40lbs during pregnancy
    ⦁ Did not lose any of it after
    ⦁ No complications
    ⦁ Birth was fast (10 minutes after arriving at the hospital)
    ⦁ Natural childbirth; zero drugs
    ⦁ Healthy baby girl
    ⦁ Born with hearing issues - completely deaf now ( father had/has degenerative nerve damage)
    ⦁ She has struggled with weight issues all her life
    ⦁ Nursed baby for about 4 months until her lower teeth came in. This girl was a biter!!​
    ⦁ This pregnancy completely bankrupted my health
    ⦁ Struggled with weight my entire adult life
    ⦁ Atkins (i.e. dietary ketosis) was the only thing that helped with weight loss
    ⦁ Lost 70 lbs twice with Atkins
    ⦁ Became ineffective after that​
    ⦁ Had gall bladder removed at 23 yrs old
    ⦁ Hysterectomy at 48 due to fibroids and exteremely heavy bleeding leading to anemia
    ⦁ Ovaries and cervix were not removed​
    ⦁ Outside of weight issues and the events leading to gall bladder and uterine surgeries, I've been otherwise 'healthy'

3. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Current Health Concerns
    ⦁ Developed sleep apnea during the past 3 years
    ⦁ AHI of 98 (for those that do not have an understanding of sleep apnea, that means that I was having 98 events per hour. An event must last for at least 10 seconds and be accompanied by a decrease in the saturation of blood oxygen.) An event means that I either wasn't breathing or was breathing extremely shallow. These events are caused by obstruction (which most people know about) or because the person 'forgets' to breathe (central apeneas) and I have both (known as mixed apnea). Sometimes I try to breath and can't and other times I just don't even try (my brain 'forgets' to breathe).
    ⦁ Oxygen sats during the original sleep study were in the 60% range and I have measured them in the 50s at home. Again for those without a reference range, generally, oxygen sats in the 90s are good. There is concern when it drops below 88% and under 80% can cause tissue damage to any and all major organs. Therefore, oxygen sats in the 60% range for 8-10 hours a night are really not good.
    ⦁ Sleep apnea as severe as mine (untreated) prevents the ability to have any healing sleep. You cannot rest at all when your brain is awakened twice per minute every minute you are sleeping
    ⦁ Of course one of the WONDERFUL benefits of sleep apnea is weight gain. Like I didn't struggle enough with this before
    ⦁ Let's throw menapause in here because I'm on the cusp of it and it is influencing labs
    ⦁ Somewhere in the past few years I developed sciatic pain. This is what truly prevents me from being outside and enjoying Colorado

4. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Previous Leptin RX/ CT Results circa 2013
    ⦁ As mentioned before, Atkins had previously worked for me twice then didn't really help
    ⦁ In July of 2013, I decided to 'get healthy'. I started to read about paleo and found Jack Kruse at that time. I did not understand how his teachings were different, but liked them, got his book and dove in
    ⦁ I knew I was leptin resistance so I started the Leptin RX
    ⦁ I was fascinated by CT and had to try it!!
    ⦁ Within 6-8 weeks, I lost 45lbs (without effort) and got my HS-CRP to 0.4
    ⦁ All other labs looked well
    ⦁ An important note is that I really didn't understand the key components that contributed to my well being or what I was really doing right
    ⦁ I heard one thing from all my readings from JK: inflammation is the enemy and eridiate it at all costs. That was my goal and intent and it worked!
    ⦁ I was not making like the Sphinx nor was I grounding
    ⦁ I did not have a Magnetico
    ⦁ I also did NOT HAVE A JOB (significant because I was not surrounded by a cube farm full of computers)
    ⦁ I walked at least 2 hours a day during the week and 4 hours a day on the weekends
    ⦁ I ate in the morning and evening when I was supposed to
    ⦁ I am not into seafood - back then or now. I couldn't bring myself to eat from JK's Tier 1 or 2. But I did do Tier 3. Salmon? I CAN eat that and lots of it without getting tired of it. It was my staple food.
    ⦁ I was happy, healthy and my battery worked and I had the energy to prove it
    ⦁ I was enthusiastic enough that I decided to take kung fu lessons - something I always wanted to do but never did because it's very challenging and out of my comfort zone - I dove right in
    ⦁ My avatar pic is from this timeframe
    ⦁ I went off track after about 6 or 7 months. Specifically, I was hanging out with a friend that exposed me to blue light and nnEMF 24x7 - literally. Not to mention that I was hardly getting any sleep at all . . . 3 or 4 hours a night if I was lucky.

5. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Current Labs - Sept 2017
    Supplements at time of Labs
    ⦁ Betaine HCL with Pepsin, 600 mg - approximately 8 pills per meal
    ⦁ D3 - 5000 IU, 2-4 per day
    ⦁ Iron - 65 mg, 1 per day
    ⦁ B50 - 2 per day
    ⦁ Multi vitamin - 1 per day
    ⦁ Vit A - 8000 IU - 1 per day
    ⦁ Fish Oil - 1000-1200 mg, 5 to 10 per day​
    Lab Results - 12 hours fasting but with supplements per above
    ⦁ HS-CRP : 2.2 : mg/L
    ⦁ D3 : 52 : 30-100 ng/mL
    ⦁ DHEA : 38 : 102-1185 ng/dL
    ⦁ HDL : 59 : >= 46 mg/dL
    ⦁ LDL : 123 : <130 mg/dL
    ⦁ Total Cholesterol : 203 : 125-200 mg/dL
    ⦁ Triglycerides : 106 : <150 mg/dL
    ⦁ Glucose : 93 : 65-99 mg/dL
    ⦁ Insulin : 27.5 : 2.0-19.6 uUI/mL
    ⦁ Sex Hormone Binding Globuline : 30 : 17-124 nmol/L
    ⦁ Estradiol : 29 : pg/mL
    ⦁ IGF 1 : 119 : 50-317 ng/mL
    ⦁ CO2 : 21 : 18-29 mmol/L
    ⦁ Leptin : 45.5 : 8.0-38.9 ng/mL
    ⦁ Free T3 : 3.0 : 2.3-4.2 pg/mL
    ⦁ Free T4 : 1.9 : 1.4-3.8
    ⦁ Reverse T3 : 14 : 8-25 ng/dL
    ⦁ TSH : 1.54 : mIU/L
    ⦁ Testosterone (total) : 37 : 2-45ng/dL
    ⦁ BUN : 9 : 7-25 mg/dL
    ⦁ Creatinine : .85 : 0.50-1.05 mg/dL
    ⦁ BUN/Creatinine Ratio : 10.59
    ⦁ Hemoglobin : 14.2 : 12.0-16.3 g/dL
    ⦁ A1C : 5.2 : <5.7 % of Hgb
    ⦁ Hemotocrit : 41.9 : 36.8-49.5 %
    ⦁ Homocysteine : 6.3 : <10.4 umol/L​

6. Outlier

Outlier Gold

What I'm doing now
    ⦁ Goals
    ⦁ The first order is to improve/heal the sleep apnea; I don't plan on sleeping with that damn machine all my life even though that's what the sleep experts tell me the plan is.
    ⦁ Second is the sciatic pain - this one is preventing me from enjoying the outside as I hurt badly if I stand or walk for more than just a few minutes
    ⦁ CT baths are not helping this (that I can reasonably tell anyway0; maybe they are and I just don't know it yet)
    ⦁ I cannot resume kung fu until this is resolved enough that I can practice without pain​
    ⦁ Once those 2 major issues are resolved, I should be much further on the journey to optimal and I think solving those issues means getting my battery working
    ⦁ My ultimate goal is to be optimal for me. The best me that I can be​
    ⦁ Activities/RXs
    ⦁ Reading everything JK wrote
    ⦁ I have downloaded all blog posts to my Kindle
    ⦁ Reading everything twice - once for general understanding and a second time to drive home ideas I find important
    ⦁ Working through all the webinars​
    ⦁ Leptin RX . . . still can't bring myself to eat the raw oysters but my diet is almost entirely salmon, eggs and butter
    ⦁ Making like the Sphinx, grounding and looking at the morning sun
    ⦁ Sleep on a Magnetico
    ⦁ I have been getting 20-30 minutes of UVB around 11am-12pm daily for the past month. Now that it's getting cold, I'm still out in there wearing next to nothing soaking up my sunlight in the cold!
    ⦁ About to switch to Krill Oil
    ⦁ With @drezy and @Scompy's help, got a trimeter and learned how to use it
    ⦁ Microwave is unplugged and completely unused
    ⦁ Sleep apena patients BEWARE!!! A major source of nnEMF was coming from the hose of my ASV. It had a heater coil to maintain the humdity and temp of the air in the hose to prevent rain-out. This hose attached to my mask ON THE TOP OF MY HEAD and provided toxic levels of EMF directly to my brain for 8-10 hours every night. I was most unhappy when I discovered this after 3 months of use. I use a plain plastic hose now.
    ⦁ I've found my other major sources of nnEMF and eliminated them (mostly unplugging things when not in use.)​
    ⦁ I have blue blocking glasses for my eyes but I will be ordering screen covers for every electronic device I have (because blue light penetrates skin . . . and your thyroid . . . thanks @drezy!)
    ⦁ I use red light and/or fire light after sunset
    ⦁ I am doing CT but the water isn't cold enough. You know you've cold adapted when the water comes out of the spigot at 64 degress and you're pissed because you didn't want a 'warm bath' tonight!! I have been adding ice to get it around 55 degrees but that's all the ice my ice maker puts out
    ⦁ When I did CT a few years back, my deep freeze in the garage had room for lots of 10lb bags of ice. I don't have that space right now so am making do until I do
    ⦁ Currently water is 55-60 degrees; however, within 15 min, my body raises the temp by 5 degress minimum (I think my tub holds about 100 gallons) and this is the same tub I used with success before​
    ⦁ I'm using NIR at about 850nm for 30-60 min a day aimed at my sciatic hip or directly on my chest and neck
    ⦁ Despite all the changes I've made over the past month, I have only lost 5 lbs and have been in a homostasis for the past 2 - 3 weeks
    ⦁ I am additionally having a mid-day crash around noon where I just can't stay awake and have to lay down
    ⦁ The most glaring issue in my labs was my DHEA where I didn't even register on the minimal reference range
    ⦁ I've been supplementing at 75mg/day for the past 3 weeks and the pharmacy is re-evaluating to see if that is appropriate given the latest results
    ⦁ I had asked my doctor about pregnenolone instead of DHEA and he thought given my values, DHEA was the right thing. I'm still not sure​
    ⦁ Obviously my battery is not working right
    ⦁ This is evidenced by my labs and my sleep apnea
    ⦁ I don't see improvements right now and wonder if I need time to heal or if I'm missing something altogether
    ⦁ Maybe everything is helping and I'm just not over the critical mass to put me on the positive side yet?​

Scompy likes this.
  7. Scompy

Scompy Gold

Yep, now you know why people become dependent on their sleep apnea machines trading a little more O2, while being bathed in nnEMFs for oxidative stress.

8. Outlier

Outlier Gold

One of the reasons that people become attached to those machines is that it IS better than the alternative. That alternative being a life with no healing sleep where your battery is about to die any minute. That is a horrible way to live and these machines can be literally life changing when you're coming from that perspective. However, the sleep industry does not do well on educating folks about alternatives or risks. I was never really asked or told about my future, yet the 'system' and the insurance company had it all planned out. When I asked what the plan was AFTER the machine, there was a big pause then I was told (like I was 5) that this IS the treatment and I'd have to do it the rest of my life. NO IT'S NOT!!! In my case, I had the advantage of knowing what Dr. K teaches and I knew that's where I needed to be and here I am!!

I don't know exactly how to heal sleep apnea, but I do know JK said do not concentrate on curing sickness, but instead focus on light, water and magnetism. So that's where my effort is and hopefully I can prove that by doing so, my issues will be reversed.

drezy likes this.
  9. Billybats

Billybats New Member

I totally agree with you.

I was never diagnosed for apnea but when you wake from trying to catch your breath as well as snoring, you know you have it. Mine comes and goes, but has become less noticeable but like you said following Dr. K I have noticed I haven't had an episode for a while and sleeping better, along with other changes. . So keep following your gut like you have.

10. Sufoto

Sufoto New Member

I think the work you have been doing is awesome. I am new to the work and learning so much. One things we have in common is sciatica. Mine has come and now gone. Now gone. The biggest help was work with a great Feldenkrais practitioner. The Feldenkrais work is predicated on movement that helps the brain/body connection. Look it up to find out more. There may be someone practicing her is a link with info feldenkraislearningcenter.com

11. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Thank you for the support, Billybats!! I don't see how CT can possibly fail to make things better. The protocols on this site DO work! I just need to figure out the best thing for my N=1.

12. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Sufoto, I'm happy to hear that your sciatica went away. I would not wish nerve pain on my worst enemy!! I have not heard of Feldenkrais and will have to look into it. Interesting that you said it's based on the mind/body connection because that is one of the reasons kung fu is hard for me: I've never felt that I have a stong mind/body connection. Thanks!!

13. Sufoto

Sufoto New Member

Moishe Feldenkrais was a martial arts person, too. Read up on this method and you may find some wonderful connection of the quantum kind. "Moshé Feldenkrais, D.Sc., an internationally-known engineer and physicist, developed this innovative approach to movement re-education when he was incapacitated by a sports-related injury and given little chance of ever walking without pain. Dr. Feldenkrais applied his extensive knowledge of anatomy, physiology, physics, and engineering, as well as his mastery of martial arts, to restore his own functioning and, later, the functioning of many others." Sounds a bit like the journey Jack Kruse took.

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

welcome

15. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Aaaah yeeesssss good old CT..lol I am not consistent at all with it but except when I get my headaches/migraines I have an ice pack on just about all day even while sleeping. That usually is every other week for some odd reason. But yeah working on doing it more, but consistent with the sun and try to ground as much as I can while in the sun. Now winter is coming and I wonder how the sun is going to affect me so I going to have to do CT like eating and breathing..lol..

16. Outlier

Outlier Gold

So what do your labs look like? You meantioned sleep apnea and now migraines. In my readings on sleep apnea, I came across a neurosurgeon named Stasha Gominak. She had a number of migraine sufferers and a college suggested she send them in for sleep studies. For everyone she sent, the had a finding of sleep disturbances. She evolved to the next level of by passing sleep studies and going straight for labs. Unsurprising, she found all these patients were Vit D deficient. Her experiences were that you needed at least a Vit D level of 60, but no more than 80 to sleep soundly.

Are you doing the Leptin RX and other protocols recommended by JK? While you will never hear me say CT is a bad thing (I'm personally infatuated with it!), CT cannot fix everything and Vit D levels are one of them. You have to get direct sunlight at the right times of the day. Are you doing any of that?

17. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Thank you, Dr. Kruse! After many years of your website being my 'go to' reference, it's great to finally be a member!!

I appreciate you taking the time to read over my posts. Did anything stand out to you as an area of change that should be addressed? After my initial experience with CT, I'm rather perplexed why I'm not seeing more improvement with it. Do you have any thoughts?

18. Billybats

Billybats New Member

Before using Dr. K protocol I was having way more migraines and sleep apnea symptoms but have reduced ALOT . The things I don't do as of now is focus on food. As for CT I actually did it last night to help me sleep. I had a cold gel eye pack on and an ice pack on my stomach most of the night. I put these on in the middle of the night. Can't do labs now but before I started Dr. K stuff I came across some labs from 2 yrs ago and my vit D was 40 then a few months from those labs it was 60. I sleep way better now too. Overall I have made many improvements.

19. Outlier

Outlier Gold

I think you're OK not focusing on food per se. If you do, eat more seafood to boost DHA. For cold thermogenesis, are you actually immersing in cold water and augmenting with ice/gel packs or are the packs your primary means of getting cold?

I wouldn't go by labs a few years back because so much changes in your life. You would serve yourself well by looking into changes you can make in your environment.

20. Outlier

Outlier Gold

Today was a remarkable day. First, since I began my journal, Ive lost 10lbs. Very happy about that. But what made this so great is that I have had sciatic pain for about 3 years that has prevented me from participating in any physical activities. If I stand or walk for more than 20 minutes, I want to cry. But today, I went for a walk - was OUTSIDE for 90 minutes without pain!! I so miss the Colorado sunshine!! I'm also sporting a very nice tan. Probably not noticable to the average observer because I'm so fair skinned, but unmistakable where the bikini lines are. I think the CT has a lot to do with these improvements but I am working with someone in physical therapy as well as a clinical massage therapist. It was a thrill to be outside, see Pikes Peak, all the colors of the fall leaves and feel the brisk air - without pain. Yay!!