1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The iodine Thread!!!

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by August, Apr 17, 2012.

1. August

August ~

Iodine supplementation is very controversial . . . espeically in higher doses . . but around here we don't seem to shy away from something just because something is controversial . . . :)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. Pardus

Pardus New Member

Hi August,

Personally, I don't notice anything from iodine, but I figure that I should be taking it anyways because I also take selenium (one without the other is no good, so I've heard). I take it in the lower-mid range (1-6 mg per day), though I have gone as high as 200 mg per day for a good month or so without noticing anything.
  3. shilohman

shilohman New Member

If you eat plenty of fish you shouldn't need supplementation of iodine. A good way to get the iodine your body needs is to buy the topical iodine from the drug store and apply it on your stomach. Supposedly your body will only absorb what it needs. If it absorbs all of the iodine, then the orange color will be almost completely gone.
  4. IceBarbie

IceBarbie New Member

If I was the type to shy away from controversy, I wouldn't be in THIS forum!!

I started taking Iodoral over 2 months ago after learning a lot more things about iodine on the Iodine Thread at MDA. I am now at 100 mg's dose per day of Iodoral. This contains both Iodine AND Iodide. Iodine is used by your female organs (or prostate for men) while iodide is needed for thyroid function. I used to take only iodine for 5 years (3000 mcg's of Standard Process Prolamine) and had few female issues. However, my thyroid has been in the tank since high school. I could never get a doctor to treat it cuz they only went by TSH tests and my hypothyroidism didn't show up on that particular test which is useless overall anyway.

Bromides are a Halide which is a class of cancer-causing substances that replace iodine in you cells (fluoride & chlorine as halides as well). Iodine is needed by every cell in your body. Bromides are everywhere--hair dyes, flame-retardants, hot tubs, most baked goods etc. They are banned in many countries but NOT here in the good ol' USA. Doctors are very ignorant about iodine and generally know little about nutrition. Meanwhile, there are doctors such as Brownstein who are successfully treating breast cancers, PCOS, endometriosis, thyroid nodules etc using high doses of Iodoral (up to 200-300 mg's for some patients).

If I thought Kruse's CT would magically reverse an iodine deficiency, I wouldn't use the Iodoral. But in my research, I discovered that iodine deficiency contributes to Estrogen Dominance & Thyroid problems. These are the underlying issues that affect ME so I have decided to address this trying the Iodoral and hoping to prevent future cancers. I plan to continue at this level for awhile then back down to a maintenance dose as well as include plenty of seafood in my diet.

If you decide to add Iodoral to your supplements, you do need to add a few others for this to work well and leave you with fewer bromine detox symptoms. ATP Cofactors was made just for this protocol. It is made of higher doses of B2 & B3 which helps the body flush out toxins better. You would also need to start using Selenium (200-400 mgs) or eat a Brazil Nut or 2 each day if you prefer. And it's recommended to take higher amounts of Vita C (I take 3000 mg's each night) plus Magnesium (4-500 mg's) which I also take at night. For severe detox reactions, you would take 1/2 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt, mix it in water & drink it down for up to 3 days. If you don't feel better, then back your Iodoral dose back down. Thankfully, I had few detox issues so far which is probably because I had already been using higher amounts of iodine previously. Your detox symptoms will depend upon how many bromides are in your system.

Edited to Add: Iodoral contains 5000 mcg (5 mg) of Iodine and 7500 mcg (7.5 mg) of Iodide. So you need both to be at optimal health. Lugol's Iodine also contains both components and is the way many start using iodine. Put a drop or 2 in a glass of water each day and drink it down. Slowly increase the number of drops as you tolerate it. If the Lugol's 5% is too much at first, buy the Lugol's 2% and start there. You can also use the Lugols to paint a 2 inch spot on your inner arm to see how long it takes to soak in. It's not as effective as a 24-Hour Urine Loading Test but it'll give you an idea for a lot less. If the iodine soaks in within just a few hours, then you probably are deficient. Your body will simply pee out any excess iodine that it can't use. If your thyroid swells, it means your body is soaking up the iodide that's it's been lacking and it will usually resolve by itself. Some will increase their dose to push through that symptom while others back off the dose awhile until it balances out again in the thyroid.
  5. GigiPatata

GigiPatata New Member

Hi - I will likely be joining this thread. I want to try supplementing with iodine. I have been doing the leptin reset for 3 months (with a few lapses) and have experienced a lot of LS symptoms but am unable to lose weight (50lb overweight). I expect to be doing a lot of testing - mostly hormones- but since I will have to pay out of pocket, I still want to experiment with some lower cost options.

One thing that struck me on an iodine-deficient symptoms list (and that list covered just about any symptom known to man lol) was chronic itching in the ear canal. That is a wierd symptom that I have had for several years.

I have been taking kelp pills for about 2 months, but they only have 750mcg of iodine/iodide (I can't exactly remember). I am going to look for iodoral - may have to order from U.S. since I'm not sure where to buy it here in Canada.
  6. IceBarbie

IceBarbie New Member

GigiPatata,

Chronic itching in the ear can also be Candida related. And I was just thinking about how I forgot to mention that iodine deficiency also paves the way for Candida overgrowth. And that is another reason why I am doing this iodine protocol. I've struggled with candida since junior high school.

I'm not sure about Iodoral's availability in Canada but any combination of iodine and iodide similar to Iodoral should work. You may have to take them separately if you can't find them combined like in Iodoral.

I've had ear canal issues too and my chiro told me she thought it was yeast. She gave me Colloidal Silver to put in my ears. I got scared about using it and then forgot about in my fridge for many years. Even forgot it was mine so I kept moving it around thinking it was hubby's! Then I finally read how effective CS is for candida so I started drinking a shotglass worth of CS each day for 2+ weeks. I suddenly realized that my Candida symptoms had abated. This is was the best improvement I've had in years. But it was a homemade version of it and I've had trouble finding CS that is as effective as that one was. I'm not sure if a few drops of 2% iodine in your ear would be too strong for your ear or not. I know it would be messier than Colloidal Silver though!

I buy my Iodoral at either iherb.com or amazon.com here in the States. If you order it, buy the ATP Cofactors at the same time as that's hard to find too. I know both sites carry the ATP Cofactors too. I've bought the Lugol's at amazon and also here: http://www.jcrowsmarketplace.com/

I like having the liquid Lugol's on hand because I use it for lots of things: zits (2 days on a budding zit and it disappears!), cysts or lumps on the dog, cuts & scrapes plus it works as to purify water. You can only buy the 5% Lugols 1 ounce at a time because it's been found to be an ingredient used to make Meth. Or so they say. I wonder if they are really trying to make it harder to buy because it's so amazing on cancer.
  7. IceBarbie

IceBarbie New Member

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I got up to almost 50 mg's dose of Iodoral, I got up one day and my neck felt hot (in the back where I had a bad whiplash injury years ago) and it was breaking out in zits. Hubby put liquid Lugols on the zits and they cleared up in less than 2 days. Then 1 ear started acting up--making popping mushy sounds even though I hadn't done anything to cause it. I'd had issues with my inner ears too for a few years. Then it went away. The next day, it started in the OTHER ear--same thing. Stopped after a day. It was as though the iodine was reaching previously injured areas of my body where toxins had built up in the surrounding tissues from inflammation at the time--from injury or infection. I really think iodine is amazing stuff. I live in an area of the country that is commonly known as the "goiter belt" due to lack of iodine in the soil.
  8. Coriander

Coriander Silver

Could you please clarify what you mean here, because I don't think this is right.
  9. IceBarbie

IceBarbie New Member

You are correct! I fixed the previous post to read: Iodoral contains 5000 mcg (5 mg's) or Iodine and 7500 mcg (7.5 mg) of Iodide. Thanks for catching that! mcg=micrograms mg=milligrams
  10. GigiPatata

GigiPatata New Member

That's interesting. I've never thought much about the ear canal issue because my doctor told me a long time ago that it was excema and recommended cortisone. I don't know if I have candida, but another reason I want to try iodine is the muscle cramps I've been getting for the past year. I thought magnesium would help but it hasn't seemed to.
  11. 2bls

2bls New Member

Subscribing to this thread
  12. Jim

Jim New Member

Me too.

FYI another way to subscribe to a thread would be to simply select "Subscribe to this Thread" under the "Thread Tools" pull down menu above. :)
  13. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I have been taking kelp tablets. The ingredients are: Kelp and dicalcium phosphate. The supplement facts say Iodine (as kelp)...150mcg. 100% DV.

I usually take 5 or 6 a day. I also eat lots of salmon and sardines.

Am I getting any iodide?
  14. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Dr kruse posted an iodide twitter repost a couple days back. I started taking it and am wondering where its been all my life. I can stay up without fighting sleep as soon as I eat.

http://m.circ.ahajournals.org/content/5/5/647

© 1952 American Heart Association, Inc.

Mechanism of Iodide Action on Cholesterol Metabolism

HELEN B. BROWN PH.D.1 IRVINE H. PAGE M.D.1

1 From the Research Division of the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, and the Frank E. Bunts Educational Institute, Cleveland, Ohio.

Iodide retards or prevents hypercholesterolemia and the development of experimental atherosclerosis in rabbits. "Protection" is estimated from reduction of plasma and/or hepatic cholesterol. Small doses of iodide do not "protect." Iodide in large doses prevents the hypercholesterolemia resulting from exogenous cholesterol and reduces hepatic cholesterol. This effect is independent of the thyroid gland and is not related to "thyroxin-like" plasma iodine. The influence of iodide on cholesterol metabolism seems to be related to the presence of a butanol-insoluble protein-bound iodine compound in the plasma.

I was reading an article on the transition period from potassium iodide and penicillin and the diarrhea that was caused, along with the extended hospital stays, versus the potassium iodide. Anyway, some of my facebook friends remember it being used as a cough suppressant and mouth rinse.
  15. AKMan

AKMan New Member

In what form do you take iodide and how much?
  16. chocolate

chocolate Silver

Its just potassium iodide... Its supposed to stop hyperthyroid, you start with a loading dose and maintain. I gave my kid the bottle and just realized I didn't transfer the information to my half. I'll edit the post when I find out. I'm trying to figure out what it does to yeast. I am trying to find the loading dose.
  17. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Please do post this info, and where you got it!
  18. Melinda

Melinda New Member

I think you might be getting enough from your diet. I take one drop of Iosol (=1830mcg) per day. I slowly worked up to 5 drops b/c my thyroid was enlarged. It's seems pretty normal now so I use the one drop. I started down the kelp route but quit eating it since it has rather a lot of iron. One serving, 4 sheets, has 32% of USDA.
  19. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://order-carnivora.blogspot.com/2008/06/candida-shivers-at-iodine.html
  20. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1391575/?page=2

Ann Surg. 1932 April; 95(4): 517–524.

PMCID: PMC1391575

The Use of Potassium Iodide in Hyperthyroidism*
    Altholugh the results obtainied by l oewy and Zon(lek followed the adIministration

of potassiumii iodide, clinicianis in general have used Lugol's solution

as suggested by Plummer and Boothby. Recently Lerman and MIeans20

have slhown that ethyl iodide by inihalation or iodide by mouth gave clinical

implrovemenet sinmilar to that to be exl)ected fromi the use of Lugol's solution.

During the past year, Cohn,' in the Laboratory of Research Surgery at

the University of Pennisylvania, has given us additional infornmation on this

very importanit subject. He has, I think, conclusively proven that free iodine

must le converte(l into an iodide before it is absorbed from the gastro-intestinal

tract. The conversion in isolated gut segments takes place with exceedinlg

rapi(lity. These latter observations we have recently confirmed in that we

canl find( no free iodine in our solutioin fiftein minutes after it is placed in

the gut.

Cohni stu(lied the al)sorption of solutions of free iodine, iodides andl Lugol's

solutioni froml (i fTerent gut segmenits and found that on the whole the iodine

is al)sorl)e(l more rapidly when it is introduced as an iodlide.

If the observations are applicable to the human, as they undoubtedly are,

there is no reason why Lugol's solution should be continued in use. It is not

l)leasanit to taste and( frequently causes some gastro-initestinal discomfort. It

only remainie(d to be seen whether ILoewy ancd Zondek's observations on the

redluctioni of the basal rate could be confirmed in a study of a large series of

cases. Since Lermani and Mleans' investigations were published this summer,

the significanice of Cohnl's work has taken on a new aspect.