1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The goal for you in purchasing artificial lights:

Discussion in 'The EMF Rx' started by Jack Kruse, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

1. Color temperature of the light should be below 3000K
    2. Strict avoidance of Fluorescents and LED's
    3. If you use a black like CFL make sure you are not Mercury toxic.
    4. We need to measure color temperature using the physics standards of black box techniques and stop using the CIE 1931 Standards. (hard for the general public to do now)
    5. Use no frequency modulation of the device. This is dimmers and controls. This causes more complicated electric and magnetic fields and introduces flicker effect.
    6. A 12 volt DC reflector lamp meets all these requirements for todays market.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Thanks Dr. K. For that ^^^^**

Brent Patrick likes this.
  3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Once again I will say it.........nothing replaces natural sunlight.

4. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Yay help and info!

Unfortunately even adding the crumbs I don't seem to = a whole cheese *fish* cake. Dr. K or those who 'get it' please help. caroline I see you commented, do you get it? Can you help clarify?

So here I am with my 'newbie-thought' questions:

1. Color temperature of the light should be below 3000K

• Solar Glo 160W which I just ordered and many people have mentioned using is described on Exo Terra site as 4000K color temperature :/ (hope it would come under 3000K using physics of black box techniques but... we don't know) So where does that leave us? Outside the winner's box?

2. Strict avoidance of Fluorescents and LED's

• What about RED light LED's I was told that was good for night and healing, yes? (Or no?)
    I bet this is that obvious stuff that some who 'get it' just automatically get and some (like me) would totally miss

3. If you use a black light CFL make sure you are not Mercury toxic.

Right. I actually get the why of this part. For others who are new, it's because the blacklight bulbs (and reptile UV ones too) are mercury bulbs and Dr. K has laid out physics on other posts on how that could react with mercury in your body if you're already mercury toxic. https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/are-the-mercury-vapour-reptile-sun-lamps-safe.17233/

But if you're like me, you're not in the know on how to actully accurately test this (googled: are 'hair tests' the way to do it? it all seems so iffy ). What are accurate enough mercury tests for this hack?

Without a way to test I would be watchful if using the lamps makes us feel really, really bad (more than what a 'new UV detox effect' might be); vangirl noted feeling very badly in the linked thread above. (She also mentioned having had a hair test done in the past and not coming up mercury toxic... but being told the test might take years of detox to show actual mercury in the hair.) Edit: vangirl now has detected her reaction was Not to the Solar Glo 160W after all but to infrared lights lowering her already low blood pressure.

4. We need to measure color temperature using the physics standards of black box techniques and stop using the CIE 1931 Standards. (hard for the general public to do now)

This would be of interest to physics know how's. An idea of what Dr. K is thinking toward in the future...

5. Use no frequency modulation of the device. This is dimmers and controls. This causes more complicated electric and magnetic fields and introduces flicker effect.

An actionable what not-to-do step that I can understand. Where I live, I have lit up 'on-off' wall switches (I covered my bedroom ones with tape) for some of the power sockets, and I noticed that even that causes a residual flicker effect in 'off' mode when a bulb is plugged in to those sockets.

6. A 12 volt DC reflector lamp meets all these requirements for todays market.

What is a 12 Volt DC reflector lamp?

I'm still unclear: my search shows it to be a halogen bulb using lamp that is (often) under 3000K color temperature of light...but what I'm finding doing a google search are 'white light' ones (example: http://www.bulbs.com/product/20AR70FL)

We don't want white light do we? We are talking about UV lights, blacklights and possibly Red lights here, right? What is the 12 volt DC reflector lamp that Dr. K actually means?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Fairy, paul hess and seanb4 like this.
  5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Christina Gagnon and seanb4 like this.
  6. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

Lilredd, I was confused too about the LEDs but googled and found my answer. You are trying to get a list of do's and don'ts but this is very unlikely here. Make your questions less open. Example ". I have a solar glo. It shows 4000k . when should I use it?" We will NEVEr get it right. We can only approximate ,the only real thing is that fireball a couple of clicks above us. What is your plan,goal? What are your circumstances? If you are in an office all day,a commercial kitchen your blue light stress is enormous. If you are at home you have more control of your environment. The doc mentions that when he is at home all white fluorescents are off and only red and UV are on to retro supply the correct balance of blue purple and red light after hours in the OR.
    A tip for searches you may not have read : Use the Google search engine
    "Jack Kruse red LEDs " you get this.

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.p...ood-to-have-around-house-or-too-bright.17024/

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/understanding-black-light16985/page-3

Etc.

I have red Xmas LEDs at night they look perfectly red,during the day not so much. I took a photo during day and nighttime. There is a white halo so clearly they have a wider spectrum and I use them for reading. I hide some of the Leds so the blue exposure is minimal. Compare your photo to Yews profile photo. He uses a UFO light and it looks a deep red
    Hope this helps.

7. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/best-light-bulb-for-bedroom-at-night.17237

This should help too.

Translated it means that your solar glow at 7 pm would be a mismatch. You might get away with it if you use it at noon if you balance it with red and UV am and pm . If you think about it by adding more UV and red you are shifting the season a bit but you should never shift the visible frequency ranges that are dominant during a day. No blue or green when you get up but blue blockers until the sun comes up would be a good example.

CDawn15 and lilreddgirl like this.
  8. I don't know, this just confused myself, and some others, more.

By the above that Dr. Kruse posted, there is no real reason not to use old school incandescent bulbs. Most incandescent bulbs I find are 2700K. If you run a 120 volt bulb at 130 volts, it typically shifts the spectrum more towards red and infrared, and I've done this with DIY spectrometers. Then there are halogen lights which are almost exactly like sunlight, and have some UV. So why not just use incandescent bulbs and halogen light during the day, and red or orange incandescent bulbs, home made or purchased lanterns, and candles at night?

If the UV light in halogens aren't enough, there are bulbs such as this: http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/daytime_heat_lamp.php and http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/daylight_basking_spot.php

Also, are we trying to re-create the environment we live in if we were to be outside all or most of the day (for instance, I live in the midwest, so, make my lighting environment chronobiologically similar to there) OR, an optimal lighting condition, which would most definitely be longer days with increased visible light and UV light, and shorter periods of sun down (similar to Spring/Summer, or living closer to the equator)?

paul hess and seanb4 like this.
  9. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

The way I see it is this. We are all cacti,some more so than others. Blue light we all have plenty which in isolation and excess is poison to us. A cactus in UK is very homesick and yearning for UV and infrared. Only here would I use full spectrum light indoors as most days you need light until late in the morning and then very early in the afternoon UV and infrared and I would think that you need both UV A and B in those latitudes.
    Take my example. I am a skintype 1 female living almost in the same subtropical conditions as Dr K. I have healing to do,am 50 so my hormone system is sluggish (great euphemism that) and I am sitting here typing while the UV outside is passing me by. I will purchase a black light to move myself a bit nearer the equator in terms of UV exposure and to offset blue light insults to my body. My natural conditions throughout the year here in Buenos Aires is that I can make Vit D year round so not immediately necessary for me unless I plan to become a couchpotato ( I don't) UVA also becomes necessary for when I work all day and can only get limited exposure.

There is no one size fits all you need to understand the failings of your individual conditions and act upon them. UVA may be beneficial for people who cannot eliminate fluor from their conditions of existence as it supports thyroid function.

As far as incandescent are concerned they are way better but only for someone who spends their time barefoot in the sand working outside all day without EMF to speak of. They might be away with extending their natural day with incandescents by two hours every day when you or me for being optimal can only use them to see enough to prepare dinner and then switch off and live in the red.

Sum total : All of us can take more red or UVA,not all need UVB ,very few should add extra blue to their equation. ( talking g artificial lamps) Your natural morning blue light has its purpose and should not be avoided.

seanb4 likes this.
  10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Anyone who heard the Q & A last night will get exactly what I am saying here................

12. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Can some of you who heard the Q&A clarify the above please. Much appreciated by me and others trying to learn asking and searching forum info...

I wish Jack was kidding because my post already had a link to a 12 volt DC reflector lamp. Can anyone who understands clarify what the recommendation is here? These seem to be white lights.

Is Jack recommending the use of these White lights for daytime use?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    paul hess and jwhb77 like this.
  13. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

I think it is, if you are going to use artificial light indoors (for everyday use) what would be best to have? (Avoid fluorescent and LED..... etc). Best is to get natural light, but what would be the least harmful white light setup to use? That's the way I read this. UV and IR is a separate topic altogether.

14. lilreddgirl

lilreddgirl New Member

Thanks. I think you're right. I have been getting used to thinking about no blue lights at night, and indoor UV that it took me awhile to figure it out.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Key take aways from this paper: 1. Melanopsin responds to blue light 430-465 nm
    2. Second, observations have shown that circadian and many other behavioral and physiological responses can have a very distinct and specific spectral sensitivity. Consider that when you think "small changes" in the eye don't matter how big of an error that really is. Consider some of the comments made in the last few posts I've posted today about IOL's and the errors in judgement eye researchers and clinicians keep making. 3. When take point one and two together what does it imply? These data CLEARLY demonstrate that established photometric light measures that use the Vλ spectral weighting function, such as photopic lux, in the modern lighting industry are COMPLETELY inadequate for quantifying the BIOLOGIC light effects that SPECIFIC to the LIGHT FREQUENCIES to regulate non-visual control of growth and metabolism. 4. ANY ONE READING THIS PAPER CAN CLEARLY SEE LIGHT and not FOOD controls growth and metabolism via the central retinal pathways using blue light. 5. Still think buying your family and kids tech gadgets and new phones for the holidays is a good idea, or maybe it might be considered abusive in a decade? 6. The only reason its not considered criminal is because VERY FEW UNDERSTAND LIGHT. 7. The lighting industry uses a 1931 standard called the CIE standard. This standard is based upon mercury resonance. When people really understand what this implies they will really be concerned. Unfortunately, to date there is no established replacement. The one we should default to black box radiation standard that we used to study the sun back in the early 20th century. This one was felt to be "too complicated" by the lighting industry in 1931. So they decided to make one that was simple but missed the key frequencies of how the eye clock works. Because of this "slight" mistake take a look at how disease rates have zoomed since 1931. In fact, just look at cancer rates since that date. You might get wide eye'd. Instead of buying pink ribbons for cancer prevention maybe we will become a country who unscrews all their fake lights and goes back to the sun instead of listening to MD's who try to BURY the sun? 8. The fundamental problem in addressing this need has been the difficulty in determining a spectral weighting function (equivalent to Vλ) suitable for non-visual responses. Going back to the old standards should be done immediately by Congress. This is the best first step in the WAR on CANCER. 9. Color temperature of the light should be below 3000 K
    10. Strict avoidance of Fluorescents and LED's at ALL TIMES
    11. If you use a black like CFL make sure you are not Mercury toxic because of mercury fluorescent resonance. The modern lighting industry has created this nightmare with their CIE 1931 standard and with the use of mercury to generate electric light.
    12. We need to measure color temperature using the physics standards of black box techniques and stop using the CIE 1931 Standards. (hard for the general public to do now)
    13. Use no frequency modulation of the device. This means no use AT ALL EVER OF dimmers and controls. This causes more complicated electric and magnetic fields and introduces flicker effect in the brain that is very dangerous for those with any neurodegenerative disease of age related macular degeneration.
    14. IF you must use FAKE light the best choice, but no where near optimal choice is a simple A 12 volt DC reflector lamp. It is one of the FEW fake lights that meets all these requirements for today's market. Why wont you hear this from the lighting industry? Because they are DIRT CHEAP on the internet and their profits would crumble. More over if people really knew what the lights they are selling is really doing this would cause the entire industry to likely be more liable than the tobacco and asbestos industries were by a FACTOR of 100 in my humble opinion. Nothing cause disease light bad light frequencies through your eye. How is that for a Sunday of posting's on LIGHT. I expect to see at least 100 shares on this link. If I don't, I'll be taking a vacation from FB. What good it is if we cannot use this blue light platform to some how change our world for the better? The data backing up these claims is published........but no one is making the appropriate connections in biology therefore you must. This is the only way we will get change. http://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences/fulltext/S0166-2236(13)00197-5

16. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

In science, computing, and engineering, a black box is a device, system or object which can be viewed in terms of its inputs and outputs (or transfer characteristics), without any knowledge of its internal workings. Its implementation is "opaque" (black). Almost anything might be referred to as a black box: a pupil in the eye, transistor, algorithm, or even the human brain.

A black-body at room temperature appears black, as most of the energy it radiates is infra-red and cannot be perceived by the human eye. STOP. THE PUPIL IS ONE EXAMPLE OF A PERFECT BLACK BOX RADIATOR. Because it is perfect the lighting industry needs to really understand what this means at the most fundamental level.

Because the human eye cannot perceive color at very low light intensities, a black body, viewed in the dark at the lowest just faintly visible temperature, subjectively appears grey (but only because the human eye is sensitive only to black and white at very low intensities - in reality, the frequency of the light in the visible range would still be red, although the intensity would be too low to discern as red), even though its objective physical spectrum peaks in the infrared range. When it becomes a little hotter, it appears dull red. As its temperature increases further it eventually becomes blindingly brilliant blue-white.

Although humans, plants, planets and stars exist in thermal equilibrium with their surroundings nor can they be considered perfect black bodies. Humans have a perfect one however built into their own eye that everyone ignores. I don't. Even with an imperfect black box radiator, black-body radiation can be used as a first approximation for the energy they emit
    • In physics, a black box is a system whose internal structure is unknown, or need not be considered for a particular purpose. This is why we used this system to study the sun with spectroscopy.........and why we need to go back to it to study light that we allow into our eyes.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    jwhb77 likes this.
  17. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why?

Low dopamine = lack of UV via the eye. You'd be wise to look at all the links I posted today 12/20/2015 on my FB page about this issue.

jwhb77 likes this.
  18. Jan Christer

Jan Christer New Member

So if we have amalgam fillings and might be Mercury toxic, which type of black lights do we use then?

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Not a CFL. Use an LED

Phosphene and Jan Christer like this.
  20. Jan Christer

Jan Christer New Member

Thank you very much Jack for your reply!
    Do you have recommendations on which to get?