1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The Darkness Rx: Question

Discussion in 'Mitochondrial Rx' started by AdamF, Jul 30, 2018.

1. AdamF

AdamF New Member

Jack,

I've really tried to understand and experiment with how sleeping in complete darkness is compatible with waking to the sunrise, but I don't see how the two are compatible.

If the sleeping quarters allow morning sunlight in to wake up, then they allow light throughout the night, and hence do not allow total darkness.

If the sleeping quarters are in total darkness, then they do not allow morning sunlight in.

Furthermore, I don't know of any circumstance in nature for which a human being would have ever slept in a place that was both completely dark during the night and then let morning sunlight in.

A cave would not do this, and neither would sleeping in shelter on the open land, however:

The only thing I can think of is that it's not actually sunlight which directly sets morning wake time, but it's the magnetic field coming from below, not above.

Is that more on the right track, or how does it actually work?

Thank you,

Adam

Sajid Mahmood likes this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

melanopsin in your skin is capable of waking you up with as little as 1-5 photons. It is your third eye that is more attuned to light than you cna imagine when your circadian mechanism is intact. Today few humans have an intact one.

SunnyDay likes this.
  3. AdamF

AdamF New Member

So is sleeping in pitch black actually just a "hack" for how fucked up modern circadian rhythms are?

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

no. you need to red more

5. ElaineLS

ElaineLS New Member

Just for the record ... I lived in a location where there was NO light - on a cloudy night. The prairie (South Dakota, USA) went on for miles no matter which way you looked. No light. Just sayin’. When it wasn’t cloudy the only light was starlight or moonlight.