1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

THE BLUE LIGHT THREAD........

Discussion in 'Educating Doctors' started by Jack Kruse, Oct 26, 2018.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Perfect is only sunlight.
    Actually, perfect is sunlight that reaches us when it went thru (perfect atmosphere).
    In some places on earth atmosphere is already degraded.

2. mjau

mjau New Member

I guess that's the next thing I have to research; Atmosphere..

3. Some helpful information:

Those who own UVB dependent reptile and do good research will only use Zoo Med ReptiSun tube lights. The T5 lights are the most powerful, and need to be replaced after a year. Acadia is another good brand for a tube UVB light. The bulbs are considered junk. They only put out UBV for about 6 months, and the quality is poor.

4. mjau

mjau New Member

So, the bulbs (exo-terra and maybe osram vitalux?) have a different spectrum after 6 months?

Do you have a spectrum of the tubes?

5. My knowledge comes from being in the bearded dragon community, and thus isnt super exact and scientific, but is still relevent. Those who have measured found the UVB gone after 6 months with bulbs and 1 year with tubes. Its actually recommended you replace after 5 months for bulbs and 11 months for tubes just to be safe because UVB is so important for a bearded dragons health (who would have guessed?). People who use the bulbs and/or dont follow the guidelines for new bulbs frequently end up with unhealthy dragons who are not absorbing calcium -- they end up with dragon osteoporosis essentially.

6. Also, they are by no means a full, natural spectrum. They are indoor lights after all. I'm just speaking on the UVB rays -- sun is still and always your best option.

7. mjau

mjau New Member

Yes.. I'll replace my bulb, or check out the tubes, to be sure it has UVB. I think I knew this before, but I just forgot. Thanks. And yes, the lights are no replacement for the sun.

8. mjau

mjau New Member

I don't protect my eyes in sunlight, but do I need to protect my eyes when using exo terra solar glo? I know it's got just a little bit of UV, but I'm asking because of the differences between the sun and lightbulbs (the spikes for instance).

I'm basically using it all the time when indoors. I'm asking just to be sure.

JanSz likes this.
  9. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

You need to update your avatar mjau. If you continue to skate the rules you won't be here long.

10. mjau

mjau New Member

Yea, I'll fix it.

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator