1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The Benefits of Cold Thermogenesis Thread!

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by August, Mar 14, 2012.

1. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

What kinds of fish? Do you cook oysters? I'm big into sashimi but haven't tried oysters, or sardines or herring etc .. I just eat yellowtail, salmon, mackerel, tuna (raw or cooked).. Tilapia, cod, snapper cooked... These aren't really cold fish except salmon so do they count? (ie move the needle to optimal?) And do lake fish like trout count?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Years ago I had those bumps on my upper arms and thighs. They went completely away when I took large amounts of flax seed oil at that time and never came back. Of course I wouldn't use flaxseed today but I would imagine that krill oil and eating lots of fatty fish would do the trick.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I wondered why when showering it is much harder to have cold water hit my back then my front, but I might have the answer now. My water runs at 59 and that is excruciating when it hits my back, but okay when hitting my tummy.

Could it be inflammation and CT is fixing it? Went to see my chiro yesterday and he was quite taken back because he couldn't find anything to adjust. I have had upper back problems for 20 years. Rolfing has helped, much, but never took the problem completely away. Then I talked to him about CT and how hard it was to have the cold hit my back. He said that possibly the reason it felt much colder was the inflammation I have dealt with for years and that it was probably why I didn't need an adjustment.

For me, this is just a small indication of what CT can do and gives me the courage to keep going. The first time I heard about CT I intuitively knew this was going to be the key to healing myself--finally. Though, I do feel that when CTing is working it's charm, that it's much like homeopathy and Rolfing and takes us back through emotional trauma while healing. Don't know where to go with this, except, that knowledge is power and I know there is much to presume with both physical and mental/spiritual healing.

4. ealachan

ealachan New Member

You CAN cook oysters, but they're really good raw with a little bit of hot sauce. You slurp 'em right out of the shell, juice and all. YUM! :D

5. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I think everything that comes from the ocean is good... I don't do lake fish currently. It's got to be wild caught.

I had to teach myself to eat oysters (gag reflex :eek:) so I'm still with the tiny little smoked ones that come in cans in olive oil. I've made progress though and actually like them now, or at least my body keeps asking for them :D I do go through 4-6 cans a week right now. Pretty sure it's the zinc but that has no scientific basis, lol. Zinc is known to help with acne and "chicken skin" is actually a form of acne.

Other than that I have 2 1/2lbs of a huge sockeye salmon fillet sitting in the fridge right now waiting to be chowed down on. I also eat 1-2lbs of shrimp a week. Every once in a while mahi mahi or sole fillets, canned sardines, kippered herring, When I went to visit my parents in Europe a few months ago I ate pounds of little smoked fish (Sprotten - anybody know what they're called in English? I love them and would like to find them in the U.S.). I went ahead and ate the whole thing head to tail to the horror of my mother.

All of that would be supplemented by offal. Not much muscle meat right now. I'm really doing this for mTBI recovery but it had this nice little side effect....

Lol, more of an answer than you really cared for :eek:

6. omlh@todmi.com

omlh@todmi.com New Member

Sprotten would be sprats in English, I think, Souldanzer - delicious little morsels they are, too! We used to eat them dredged in flour and deep-fried then covered in lemon juice.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks, Olivia, I'm going to look out for them. Yum.

More progress... dry, flaky skin on my scalp has gone byebye the last couple of weeks :) Was dealing with it since childhood.

8. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

This was a great testimonial. Thanks for sharing this!

So does this mean that people who are naturally more tolerant of the cold, less inflamed in general then?

9. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

No, exactly what I was looking for! Other than my normal sushi (sashimi now, w/no soy sauce of course!), and the usual kinds of cooked fish one might get in a restaurant, my seafood consumption is pretty pedestrian in terms of variety so I was looking for what you were eating that I wasn't... And now I am inspired to try more!!! And experience the CT/JK paleo benefit of bidding adieu to my chicken skin! I'll have to photograph my progress.... Thank you for the ideas!!

10. Destiny

Destiny New Member

Suhenna, I also noticed that my sciatica that was aggravated most of the time is non existent now. I believe the cold fixed it!

11. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

My dry heels are becoming soft and supple... Now I've got sexy feet! :p

12. Destiny

Destiny New Member

My husband was also bragging about his soft heels:)!

13. AKMan

AKMan New Member

I CT'd HARD from Feb - April, then quit as it got into spring. I've lately been doing strenuous sprints on a gravel road, jogging/sprinting 2 miles twice a week. My legs have really been stiff and sore the next few days.

Did a mammoth sprint session last night, legs very sore this morning. Didn't want to hobble all weekend, and thought, 'let's try CT'.

Filled the tub with 35 degree water, stood in it as it filled. Ankles screamed in protest! I ignored them as water got to mid-calf, then I knelt and quickly sat in the cold water. Even though it had been a full month, it was no problem. Breathing normal and pain in ankles quickly went away.

Spent 30 minutes in tub, splashing water on face and chest. Got out and was so stiff I could barely walk. Since I didn't want to shiver, I took a hot shower right away. Warmed up and dried off.

Immediately, upon drying off and getting dressed, I realized there was ZERO stiffness or soreness in my legs. I drove to town and did a massive search for building materials at Home Depot, Lowe's , Sam's, and WalMart--lots of walking, stooping, carrying, standing. Several hours later as I sit here typing, my legs feel better than ever. No hint of stiffness. I'm even trying to manipulate them into a position that should provoke a stiff/sore reaction but nada.

Another thread in the Fitness Section talked about CT blunting the effect of exercise--a bad thing--but the effect on recovery a full 12 hours after the exercise is astonishing. So if you exercise a lot, don't CT right away, wait til the next morning. Give it a try!

14. AKMan

AKMan New Member

15. TerrierMom

TerrierMom Gold

Interesting.... When I used to do half marathons (not any more of course!!) we used to ice our legs in the hotel tubs after the event, which killed the soreness etc,

. In this case we were no longer trying to train and get stronger but just aid recovery. The articles posted (and AKmans anecdote) suggests that icing after exercise blunts the adaptation (I.e. when exercise breaks down tissue and it rebuilds stronger as it repairs.... Which is why we lift heavy things)... But icing 12 hrs after the exercise allows adaptation to occur but still speeds recovery!

Adaptation sweet spot? Very interesting!!

16. rjconser@swbell.net

rjconser@swbell.net New Member

Don't see that anyone has yet mentioned another very simply benefit for CT - jet lag.

For 15 years I have travelled regularly from the US to northern Europe. No matter what I have tried, my regular experience is that I wake up at ~2am and stare at the ceiling most of the rest of the night. I usually get my first full night's sleep right before I come home.

From following Jack's posts on effect of CT on stimulating cortisol, it seemed reasonable to me that CT would give a strong 'wake up' shot of cortisol to my body that was stronger even than sunlight - i.e. telling me that 'now' is morning.

Last month, rather than going straight into the office upon arrival in the morning, I checked in at my hotel and took a 20 min bath with coldest tap water (which I guessed to be about 50 deg based on my CT experience at home). You guessed it - slept through the night that night. As an experiment, skipped CT bath the next morning and woke up in the middle of the night again. CT'd again and back to sleeping through the night.

Back again this week. Jumped in the tub first thing again when I arrived in the morning - and slept right on through that night. 20 min CT session every day and slept well each night. Of course, also important to note that daytime altertness was much improved as well.

Even though only 2 experiments in, overall, CT has so far had a truly profound impact on my ability to maintain best possible performance faced with too much long distance travel. By CT'ing first thing on the morning of arrival, I am more alert and sleep well at night and now largely immune to the effects of jet lag. I've shared this with all of my colleagues and the one who has already tried has already reported a similarly strong effect.

Might be hard to do conveniently if you travel to the tropics, but if there's cold water where you're going, I would suggest you might think about a cold bath upon arrival to reset your clock for a more productive trip.

Russ

17. LinD

LinD New Member

Russ, great job on experiment.

I find I go to sleep with no issues when I snuggle with an ice pack placed under my chin/neck area. My very fury kitty likes to lay close by, too, with his back against the cold pack.

When I don't have ice pack, I have trouble falling asleep.

Sprint Samsung Epic

18. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Back in my military days, I relied heavily on Tylenol for exercise induced muscle soreness. I would say that 30 minutes at 40 degrees has the same effect on me as 3-4 500mg Tylenol every 4 hours.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Tylenol is something I am trying to move away from

20. youthfuliz

youthfuliz New Member

Indeed interesting observation. I also just read somewhere that another way to avoid jet lag is to fast 12-16 hours then eat breakfast at the local time - you will have no problem falling asleep at night! All go well with our BAB first thing in the morning and CT!