1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The arc of the mitochondrial universe is long, but it bends toward optimization

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Foxglove, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Novah

Novah New Member

Hi Foxglove!

Great journal, really interesting read.

Have you had your omega 3 levels tested?
    Ferritin?
    B12?
    RBC magnesium?
    Vitamin D recently?

You mention anemia so I'm guessing you likely have a low ferritin level? Low ferritin can cause DIZZINESS, LOW BLOOD PRESSURE, rapid heart rate, fatigue, dry mouth, headaches, anxiety, depression, insomnia and a host of other symptoms, so something to consider. My doc likes her menstruating female patients ferritin levels to be around 80-90.

The PMS/ boob pain/ anxiety sounds like it could be due to low magnesium or/and low vitamin D levels.

I don't know if falling asleep is still an issue, but this article might be of interest; low omega 3 levels can result in a hard time falling asleep. https://thesleepdoctor.com/2018/03/20/better-sleep-with-omega-3-fatty-acids/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Foxglove likes this.
  2. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Did I say I had anemia? I don’t think I’ve had anemia since I was in college and wasn’t eating red meat.

But no, my RBC count and hematocrit have always been great. (Unlike most other blood tests.)

I’ve had an iron panel twice and neither time was it low. Actually I’ve inherited at least one hemochromatosis gene, which makes me think I need to get those tested. I don’t know what I got from the other parent. I can pull out my iron tests and dates and post them later today.

Last vitamin D was *EDIT - correction* 43 in the fall of 2017, without supplements. That could be higher.

Magnesium makes my heart palpitations worse, so I had to stop taking it last week. I took it semi regularly for years and since I’ve been paleo 4 years, that’s shouldn’t be low. I read that a high dose can make your blood pressure low and cause dizziness. That’s why I stopped.

Omega 3 I haven’t done. I do have a rheumatologist appointment coming up, so I can ask for another vitamin D. B-12 they would say yes. I’ll probably have to convince them of any others, like magnesium.

I’ve wondered if I should get a hormone panel from the gyno or order a DUTCH test or organic acids test. Adapting to CT will make that go crazy, though, so not a good baseline.

Now I’m thinking it was the DIM making me dizzy. I’m correlating my doses to the episodes. But that still begs the question whether it’s a dehydration problem or a hormone problem. Back when I was just getting off NuvaRing 3 years ago, I tried to take DIM to detoxify, but it gave me migraines and nausea. I tried multiple times but I got too sick. I was really (more) estrogen dominant then.

I’m having someone send me their automatic blood pressure cuff so I can be sure if the high rate is actually with low BP. Getting numbers may tell us more.

3. Danny

Danny New Member

I used to get dizzy when doing CT, including head under water, in the ocean (55-60F). I would have vertigo / low BP and have to lay down on the beach. It doesn't happen anymore. I think w/ my improvement in redox this ceased to be a problem....takes time. Like Jack says..."the arc of the mitochondrial universe is long". I would imagine you just need more sun considering the season. FYI, I took lugol's and felt great for a few months. I think I over did it and started having extreme low blood pressure espisodes. This was over 4 years ago. My redox was terrible. Try shorter durations of CT or up your seafood omega 3 content...I read what you said about salmon :) Thanks for sharing! Keep it up

Foxglove likes this.
  4. Danny

Danny New Member

Oh yeah...add rosemary in your diet and smell it for your low bp moments

Foxglove likes this.
  5. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Those are some good tips, thank you!

I started having low BP episodes a long time ago, way before I went paleo, so I don't think it is being caused by iodine. However it may well be exacerbating it, and I've considered this as well. I'm going to reduce the dose and hope my CT improves the redox. I'm also going to get some oysters, since that's the main diet area I need to improve. I already got dried kelp powder for soups, etc. It seems like ever since starting CT, my body just doesn't like my supplements as much!

6. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Time to post my weight. In the past two years I've gained 15-20 lbs. Is this what I should expect??

Date............Weight.....Fat.....Fat lbs.....Muscle.....Lean lbs
    1/22/2017.....122
    2/13/2017.....122.........23%......28.06
    3/24/2017.....120
    5/13/2018.....137.........25%......34.25.....33% .....44.80
    6/17/2018.....143.........27%......38.61.....33% .....47.19
    8/02/2018.....143.........27%......38.61.....32% .....45.76
    1/19/2019.....149.........28%......41.72.....31% .....46.19

Waist to hip ratio (early cycle) = 0.73. Waist to height ratio = 0.45. I'm 5'4". My BMI based on this would be 25. (Borderline overweight. Stupid.)

This was done using the same electronic scale. It could be inaccurate, but it's consistent.

I used to be way too skinny, and I lost a lot of weight when doing intermittent fasting. Actually when I was a teenager I thought I looked like a boy, and I hated it. I didn't even have real boobs til I was 20. Now I am shaped more like a woman and I don't lose all my fat in the winter. This summer I had to go up a cup size in my bra, and my size 4 pants don't fit my thighs anymore. Size 6 fits, but sometimes I have to use a belt.

All this seems very good, and I'm happy with my body. I actually thought I had lost weight, but I stepped on the scale and saw 149 and 28% fat!! This would have been unacceptable to me a few years ago. Is it ok?

7. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

July 2018 Blood panel

RBC..............4.45
    Hemoglobin....13.8
    Hematocrit.....41.1

Iron
    Iron Binding capacity (TIBC).......241..... LOW [Range 250-450]
    UIBC...................................166
    Iron.....................................75
    Iron Saturation.......................31%

Ferritin, serum .....................115

PS I think "Iron saturation" here is also called Transferrin saturation, equal to serum iron divided by TIBC, 0.31. Normal value acc to LabTestsOnline is one third saturated.

From what I understand, low TIBC usually means high iron, but I don't know where that is coming from. Does that mean my iron could have been higher, before Jan 2018 when I removed my IUD and started having periods again? Something else? I got one copy of H63D from a homozygous parent, other iron gene status unknown. It looks fine to my untrained eyes.

T3......... 2.8

TSH, CBC, CMP part 1  7.31.18.PNG
    CMP, IRON, FERRITIN, T3  7.31.18.PNG

Followed by graph, my RHR across hormone cycle, May-Sept 2018

RHR and hormone cycle graph.PNG

8. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

One more lab to add. June 1, before I figure out my high heart rate, I went to a walk-in clinic from work, where my HR was 95 while sitting at my desk doing nothing; just finished my work, feeling good and about to go home for the week. (This would have been the day after ovulation, one of the days where my HR peaks.) I was hoping to "catch" something on the test. I know I skipped lunch that day for intermittent fasting, and it was the summer, so I probably was really dehydrated. Anywho, it took them a whole hour to get to me, and the dumb doc told me "Oh, it's probably just anxiety." Bitch fight me. I had a list of things I was told to get tested and I made her run it anyway.

Nothing really jumps out at me, but BUN/Creat at 19.4 could be the dehydration. CBC, CMP, electrolytes look normal.
    Also tested: TSH was 2.1, T4 was 0.76 (a little low but not flagged), and Hba1C was 5.1%

CBC 6.1.18.png
    CMP 6.1.18.png

9. Novah

Novah New Member

You got the IUD out a year ago, Jan 2018 right?

Were you getting your monthly period with the IUD in?

And were you getting a monthly period after the IUD came out?

What did your doc say about the low TIBC?

And what DIM product/brand were you using? Are you still getting the dizziness after you stopped the DIM?

Just because you're paleo and were supplementing, doesn't necessarily mean your magnesium levels are fine; it would be interesting to know what your rbc (not serum) magnesium levels are.

I know testing is just a moment in time, but sometimes it leaves some really interesting breadcrumbs.

Foxglove likes this.
  10. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I had the Mirena for about two years, Feb 2016 - Jan 2018. It took over a year for me to stop getting a period, 14 mos, and even then, I had spotting. I still had a regular 28 day cycle but I had developed PMDD, so it was easy to track. I guess I didn’t have a real period for 9 mos. I took it out during what would be my period. Then about two days later I had a huge bleed for a day, like a whole period in a few hours. Then I had regular periods as usual. Within a week my rage issue was gone. (I had already read about levonorgestrel having androgen activity and making natural progesterone and DHEA go down, that’s why I removed it. So I was right that it was causing my PMDD.)

My cycle has been almost exactly 28 days for years.

When I spoke to my rheumy about it, and how I felt better, he said that it seemed like a small portion of his patients have inflammatory reactions to IUDs. (He tries to put all his patients on gluten-, dairy-, and sugar-free diets, so he’s very good.)

A few months later I found out about my mom being homozygous for H63D. We both had a history of heavy periods so I said, well crap, maybe I had hemochromatosis or high iron because I wasn’t having a period, and that’s one reason I felt bad on it. And maybe that’s why I still had my period for a year. I went back to the dr and got the iron panel. I spoke to the NP, not the doctor, but she is almost as knowledgeable as he is and agreed it was a good idea. No one mentioned anything about the test or called me to say the result was significant. I always download my test results off the patient portal, and that’s why I have it.

The conventional wisdom around H63D is that it rarely if ever causes high iron, even with two copies. But research says it may alter the course of Alzheimer’s and T2D. My concern was that I could have gotten the other hemo gene from my dad and I’d never know it, thus giving me two different hemo genes that could interact.

I think the dizziness is from the cold. Yesterday I didn’t take DIM but I still had some bouts of dizziness within an hour of taking my walks in a t shirt, on my breaks. It was very cold here yesterday, so about 35-45 degree walks for 15 minutes. Since I tend to take DIM with my CT sessions, I just wanted to be sure what was causing it. I think I really need to take it so I’ll probably wait another day to confirm, then start it back.

I was taking Jarrow DIM + CDG but I ran out a week ago (had it for a while). Now I’m on a bottle of Xymogen DIMension3 that has turmeric and piperine in it.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  11. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

By the way, thanks for helping me walk through this step by step.

12. Novah

Novah New Member

Hey, congrats on the eye improvement - that's cool.

You probably know this, but in case you don't - it's not uncommon for the body to take up to a year or so to come back into balance after being on contraception. Have you heard of the Mirena crash? If not, google it :)

Yea that's chilly for a t-shirt! If you think it's the cold that's making you dizzy, why not back off what you're doing until you don't react, stay there and then slowly increase? Try mixing it up too - maybe your body prefers shorts over a t-shirt in the cold. Or maybe if you like the t-shirt thing, try wearing a tuque and a scarf and see if that helps. "Low and slow" is the term I've heard that I think sums the process up beautifully.

Re: the DIM - you might need to be off it at least a week to see if it's a contributing factor to the dizziness issue; a day or two off might not be long enough. Your call though. And something else to keep in mind - sometimes one thing is fine on it's own but you add something else in and things go sideways.

Just for ease sake,
    1. What supplements and/or meds are you on currently? (aside from the DIM and Iodine)

2. What are your current symptoms (aside from the dizziness & low BP)?

I know you may think I'm off in left field re: the iron stuff but keep an eye on it, including the ferritin reading - likely worth having it all re-tested now that you've had solid periods for a year.
    http://www.ndhealthfacts.org/wiki/Total_Iron_Binding_Capacity_(TIBC)

Are you a member of Jack's tribe? If not, consider it - he does a great monthly Q&A where you can call in and chat with him about your questions.

13. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Thanks. I actually really like walks in the cold air. In Alabama we don’t get a lot of cold weather. Some days I don’t feel like it, so I wear a light sweater, as I did today. But I still took a walk! And I always wear gloves. Some days I like cold showers and some days I just want to do lukewarm. Some days I put an ice pack on the back of my neck. I try to go with what my body says, but slightly extend my comfort zone over time.

I am not on any medications. I’ve managed to put all my chronic conditions in remission. I’ve been doing Kruse-style stuff for going on three years, and before that I was on the Wahls protocol. The only supplements I take are for whatever hack I’m currently trying.

Really my health goals right now are:

1. Continuing the vision improvement (since I see this as a decent benchmark of light exposure to my eyes, and generally healing)
    2. Fixing my hormones
    3. Figuring out the heart palpitations
    4. Don’t have any more PMLE eruptions.

5. Sleeping better. It’s decent these days, I usually don’t lay there for an hour waiting to sleep, like I used to some years. I’ve always been a light sleeper. I wake at the slightest thing. I’m not an insomniac, but it’s not great either. I sleep much worse during ovulation and PMS, continual waking and thrashing. I have also noticed that sometimes I go to bed early because my body is tired, however my brain does better on a 10-6 type of sleep schedule. If I go to bed at 9, I might sleep great for 6ish hours and then I’m up at 3:30am. That’s no good, especially during the winter. At least at 5:30 during the summer I can get ready to go outside.

When I was a teenager I had a lot of chronic stress, so I actually suffered from sleep paralysis and constant nightmares about drowning and being eaten by wild animals. I’ve probably had sleep paralysis at least 20-30 times, mostly in ages 15-25. I had to stop sleeping on my back because it was a reliable trigger. (This has been noted in research.) Sometimes I wonder if I have slightly traumatized sleep because of all that. I do try to sleep on my back sometimes now, because it feels more physically relaxing and slows my breathing and heart rate more efficiently, however there’s still a part of my body that panics when I wake up and I’m on my back.

I never use an alarm clock. In fact, all through college I got by on sleeping 11-6 every night and never used an alarm. :)

6. Keep on my reading list!! So much to learn, always.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  14. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Forgot your other question: I also take selenium with the iodine, and a B complex weekly. Sometimes B12.

I’ll hold off on the DIM for a while.

15. Danny

Danny New Member

BUN : Creatinine of 19.4 is super high.

Foxglove likes this.
  16. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Yeah... The highest I've ever seen it, ever, was **EDIT - correction** 21, in Jan 2018, which is still in range according to this test. But usually it's lower than that. And I actually have an interesting backstory to that test, which kinda brings up more questions. I had been taking 1000mg of Vitamin C in late Dec 2017 and stopped because I figured out I might have an oxalates problem. I was eating leafy greens almost every day. I developed sharp joint pain and my sweat smelled like ammonia after using the sauna. When I stopped the vitamin C, my joint pain vanished and I had cloudy urine for a day.
    Greens + Vitamin C + sauna sweating + dehydration = no bueno.

What's ideal?

Date......... BUN / Creat .... Ratio
    Range [6-20] / [0.57-1] [9-23]

July 2018......11 / 0.8 ........ 13.8
    June 2018.... 12 / 0.62 .......19.4
    Jan 2018......14 / 0.67 ........21

Oct 2017......11 / 0.74........ 14.8
    April 2017......8 / 0.65 ....... 12.3

My creatinine is usually at the bottom of the range, which would cause a high ratio. The BUN itself is never very high.
    Sometimes I wonder if I'm eating enough? I do well on a medium-high protein template. But I eat according to my appetite.

17. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Haplogroup D1. Posting this to my journal, so I have a reference for the research I've collected on my haplogroup and ancestry.

D1, subclade of D4. L3 > M > D > D4 > D1

L3: Africa
    M: Sister group with N. Asia - India, China, SE Asia, Oceania, Russia
    D: pan-Asia, pan-America
    D4: 25 kya, mostly East Asia. Central Asia, Mongolia, China, Japan, Korea, Chukchi, Eskimos from Siberia to Greenland
    D1: 15-20 kya. New world only. Beringian founder group, sister to D2. Alaska to Chile

My mthap sequence results run in June 2017 indicated an imperfect match with D1 - all markers present, except one that was not tested, and it's not necessary. Both 2092T and 16325C are present to distinguish it from Siberian sequences. There are no perfect D1 subgroup alignments (such as D1a etc), but that's partly because my mtDNA test wasn't a full sequence, and Native reference populations aren't great, having been largely wiped out. I have found other D1 sequences in public databases that share some or all of my SNPS, but none of them have been assigned to a subgroup. A full sequence test is on my future to-do list, so I can find mitochondrial cousins in North America.

I'm pretty confident in my group assignment at this point, because thanks to genealogy message boards, I found a mitochondrial cousin who also descends from my last known matrilineal ancestor (8 generations back, my great-great-grandmother's great-great-grandmother named Sarah, born in 1725), who posted that her mt assignment was also D1. My mitochondrial line spent at least 200 years in central Carolina. Granny was told that her people were Scots-Irish or "Black Irish," which doesn't mean anything, but in this context might be significant. By 1725 the Native American social structure had been destroyed by the Tuscarora War, Yamasee War, smallpox, etc. My relatives moved to the area near Scotland County and Robeson County, NC, home of the modern Lumbee Tribe. Sarah had a brother marked on one census as "M" for mulatto. (This term used to be applied to anyone who wasn't white, especially since the census didn't even include "Chinese" and "American Indian" as options until 1870. You were either white, black, or mulatto on paper.) We don't know her mother's name. Her father William owned property, but for some reason, Sarah's husband Isaac became guardian of William's estate and executed his will. Sarah's four brothers all left for Marlboro, South Carolina without any of their father's property after his death. This may be our "smoking gun" of legal troubles, as the Native Americans were losing their legal rights and mixed marriages were illegal in NC during that time. Isaac and his father were both merchants who traveled between North and South Carolina, lending substance to a possible "Indian trader family" theory. He was born in Uhwarrie, which is not far from a ceremonial Pee Dee site. The Pee Dee covered North and South Carolina, and they still have a tribal office in Marlboro, SC, where part of the family went after 1740. The Pee Dee were neighbors along the river with the Cheraw, who are said to form the foundation of the modern Lumbee tribe. I don't know if I have any relatives in the modern Lumbee tribe, but Sarah's surname is listed on their database of known historical surnames. The Pee Dee were a southeastern Mississippian culture who spoke Siouan, most of whom claimed to have migrated from Ohio. It's possible they were forced to flee from the coast and from Charleston (1670), where the slave trade first became a major industry, and went inland and upriver to Robeson. European settlements tended to spread from the coasts, upriver to the Fall Line, and inland from there.

The Lumbee tribe is mixed, the legacy of refugees, both native and free blacks, who fled the Carolinas and established their own communities in the backwoods where they didn't need land deeds. Early in Robeson County history it was referred to as a Cheraw Settlement (another Siouan-speaking tribe of indigenous people of the Southeastern Woodlands), but that's an oversimplification. Tribal remnants had already fled from Virginia and the Northeast by that time, or fled from Carolina TO the Northeast, and many of them including the local Tuscarora spoke Iriquoian languages. They could also include Catawba, Wacamaw or Algonquian-speaking people. Some people claim that the Lumbee are just black people trying to be Native, but mitochondrial testing isn't that common, and recognizable autosomal DNA segments from one ancestor only "last" about 6-7 generations. This may put you back far enough to connect to a named First Nations ancestor if you live on the west coast of the US, but not on the East Coast, where Europeans first started trading (and taking native wives) in the 1500s. I have no recognizable Native autosomal DNA. My grandmother had <1% native DNA on analysis, putting my full native ancestor, statistically, about 7 generations back from her, which would be Sarah's mother. This matches the era when the wars would have made her family into refugees, so this haplogroup assignment is a good fit for my personal data. I feel that anyone whose haplogroup assignment is suspect or controversial should do their best to include genealogical evidence that it is correct. Since my assignment touches some buttons, I want to include all this info up front.

So back to mitochondria. D1 differentiated from D4 within Beringia in North America, after the first known wave of migrations from Siberia roughly 30k ya. D1 is believed to have spent a significant stretch of time in Beringia before spreading out along the coast from Alaska to Chile. Here is the "mainstream" archeological viewpoint of the differentiation timeline. D1 is more common today in Mexico and South America than North America, and testing has found that mitochondrial DNA in Mexico has a higher than expected rate of native haplogroups when compared to autosomal DNA, probably the legacy of colonization where European men took native women and their children got native mitochondria. Also remember that autosomal DNA from one ancestor only lasts 7 generations. I'm of the Graham Hancock mindset that people spread early along the coasts and had advanced civilizations established during the ice age. A 12k year old skeleton in the Yucatan tested as D1. The last ice age ended around 9600 BC, which would have flooded any established coastal settlements.

Heat map of entire Haplogroup D
    Haplogroup D heat map.png

Heat map of subclade D1
    D1 heat map.png

The D1 map, if the reference population was good enough, seems to support a Southeastern tribe rather than Iroquois, who covered the northeast. Geographically, my ancestors were likely to be in Siouan-speaking tribes allied with the Catawba. Y-DNA groups also show some continuity between the southeast Gulf coast and Central America.

Genetic genealogy site where I got pretty good native DNA research information: DNA Explained.

The Phylogeny of the Four Pan-American MtDNA Haplogroups: Implications for Evolutionary and Disease Studies
    "The phylogenies of haplogroups A2, B2, C1, and D1 reveal a large number of sub-haplogroups but suggest that the ancestral Beringian population(s) contributed only six (successful) founder haplotypes to these haplogroups. The derived clades are overall starlike with coalescence times ranging from 18,000 to 21,000 years."
    "Our estimate indicates a human entry and spread of the pan-American haplogroups into the Americas right after the peak of the Last Glacial Maximum."
    "The pathogenic status proposed for various mtDNA mutations, which actually define branches of Native American haplogroups, was based on insufficient grounds."

If the Younger Dryas comet hypothesis is true, which there's a huge pile of evidence for, then a catastrophic comet hit the North American ice sheet around 12,800 yrs ago and caused a 1,000-2,000 year cold period before the Ice Age ended, an age called the Younger Dryas. The comet disintegrated into buckshot and scattered across the northern hemisphere. There would have been instant glacial meltwater flooding, forest fires, ocean circulation disruption, and water in the upper atmosphere which changed the climate of the whole planet. Also, starvation, and massive population drops which caused a genetic bottleneck. This is the period when the American megafauna died out (mammoths and more) and the Clovis culture disappeared. Anyone who is interested in the science, controversy, and human "impact" of the Impact Hypothesis can start with *this article* and *this interview*.

All this is to say, my mitochondrial ancestors could have been on the East Coast between Florida and Maine by then, or in Canada or Ohio. I just know where they were in Alaska about 30,000 years ago, and in North Carolina 200 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Sergio Valadez likes this.
  18. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Thanks! There's no BUN/Creat on this document, though.

I'm working on a master spreadsheet of my labs so they won't be in a binder on my desk anymore. That will help, when I'm done!

19. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Today I did a Cooper 12-minute run test to assess VO2 max. My score was 29, which is better than I feared it would be. I had assigned myself to the 25-29 bracket based on past running experience, but I needed to prove that I was 25+ for doing CT. I'm proud that I finished, because it was not easy.

Running and I don't get along, because of my history of asthma and inflammatory arthritis. I chose not to do this test on a treadmill because I wanted to be outside in nature. However, I used a trail with gravel, and that slows me down. I also didn't eat enough for breakfast, AND I spent three hours last night waiting for AAA to come start my dead-as-a-doornail car, wondering if it was finally gone for good, and then going to buy a new battery. Let's just say my sleep could have been more restful. On the bright side, the mechanic was impressed that my 19 year old Mercedes has a perfectly good starter and alternator. :cool:

All that's to say, if I had done it under ideal conditions it could have easily been 30-32. I'll keep this number for now and reassess at another date.