1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The arc of the mitochondrial universe is long, but it bends toward optimization

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Foxglove, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I haven't posted an update in a while. I can do a more detailed journal later....

There has been a 500% improvement in my mood! My outlook is more positive and I'm getting a handle on my anxiety responses. Instead of flipping out, I figure it out.

I have so much energy! I've been swimming nearly every day. I have random impulses to skip down the hall or go hiking or learn how to do a handstand. I just went running and my knee didn't hurt! I had to give up my 5k running program last year because of my joints.

My skin looks great. I'm more productive and organized at work. I'm quicker to smile and laugh... I feel like a miracle. I haven't felt this good in years.

Imma keep eating my seafood and getting my morning sunlight, see how far I can go!! :D

Danny, Sheddie, Inger and 4 others like this.
  2. caroline

caroline Moderator

go girl!!!

Have you noticed people's attitudes toward you have changed? They want to be around you?

are dogs following you home????

3. Inger

Inger Silver

Lol Caroline....
    Dogs and kids love me....haha.... I wonder what it is that draws kids to me like a magnet! My landlords 4 yo daughter is crazy about me too..her parents have a tough time to make her not run into my home all the time! I do not mind tho.... ;) Kids relaxes me... :love:

4. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Haha! No, I haven't noticed that yet...

caroline likes this.
  5. Danny

Danny New Member

Babies are calm and happy in my arms.

6. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I'm still here! Not dead. Just had a busy September.

I got a little bit of extra income this month and I'm working overtime for a few days. October will be the month of debt freedom. The schedule is not good for my skin but I needed something!

I had a period where I wasn't making sun time a priority, and then the hurricane remnants blew through. We had a couple days of 55 degree weather! It quickly went back to 100 but the pool was cold enough to be good for CT. :) Because I slipped, some of my symptoms relapsed. But I buckled down and now I'm doing ever better than I was before.

I definitely have a tan. It's not perfect (tan lines) but I never thought I would have skin this color! I can almost stay out all day, but 12-2 is tricky. I'm still dealing with a little bit of the immune reaction after being in the sun for a few hours, but it's mild enough I can just ignore it and it goes away quickly. I'm still trying to figure out if it's better or worse to stay in the sun afterward. The only symptom that really bothers me is that my lips get a little puffy and feel burned, then get sensitive to spicy food. Not the worst problem, all things considered. I'm thinking about using a tanning bed over the winter so I don't lose my solar callus.

I'm finally taking iodine and selenium. I think it's helping but I haven't figured out how much to take yet. I have more energy, more hair in my eyebrows and on my body generally.

Ok, now the bad. Hormones. The one thing I really struggled with last month was my PMDD. (Crappy feeling right after ovulation, eventually descending into anxiety attacks, angry outbursts, mood swings, and generally being out of control for a week until my period starts.) I had it horribly over the winter but it improved over the summer, so this relapse was disappointing. I know it was because I had started slacking on my sun time and seafood. At least now I know... The hurricane remnants and work stress certainly didn't help! Now I'm on ashwaghanda (which I had taken before and saw good results re: mood swings) and Vitex for the PMS. In the past I had tried taking both Vitex and DIM a couple times before, since they are supposed to overcome estrogen dominance and improve progesterone. They always made me sick. The DIM gave me migraines and nausea after just one dose, and the Vitex gave me depression and crying fits (known effect of progesterone). Well, since I've straightened out my circadian rhythm and started getting up early to walk in the sun, both of those side effects went away! I'm taking both the Vitex and the DIM with no trouble. I think the Vitex has really made a big difference in my mood so far, but I will have to give it more than one cycle to see the full effect. I seem to have a lot more *patience*!! I can wait in line. I can wait to eat. I can deal with crap at work, take a deep breath and think, withoutut losing my sanity.

Actually I really accomplished something recently! A few things! In my department we were dealing with ~certain people~ and ~certain communication deficits~ that were causing essential tasks to not get done on timet, and it was affecting the rest of us who depend on those tasks to be able to do our jobs well. None of my polite requests or pleading seemed to do any good, and in fact the delays got worse over the last year, until I had just decided to look for a new job. Suffering isn't worth it. Luckily we got a meeting with a manager and worked up the courage to be direct. Long story short, I got the department manager's attention during a face to face, and a co-worker got permission to collect suggestions from our employees on what to improve for next year. She collected suggestions from 15 people regarding our top problems, and I formatted/edited the suggestions into categories and proposals that we could give to the upper management. They were really impressed! They weren't expecting such a long and well-thought out document from us. They talked to our boss about it *that day* and he immediately started addressing our most major complaint. I am really feeling hopeful now. know Rome wasn't built in a day, but I can't even compare the negative outlook I had with the energized mood I have now. After I had written up our proposals and sent them back for editing, I was so proud of what I did that when I went back to work, I reorganized and redecorated my whole cubicle. Vacuumed, shredded old paper, dusted. I brought some houseplants from home, including a future bonsai that needs work. I printed out some of my favorite poems and quotations, bought some abstract prints to hang on the wall. Now it feels like MY work space where I can relax and get things done, instead of a box. Even working 10-hour days on someone else's grant project hasn't seemed too bad!

Ever forward....

7. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Oh! I forgot to mention!

I have noticed that random people will look me in the eye and start talking to me! I've also noticed that my cat wants to be snuggly every day. I think she really likes my infrared basking light that I turn on in the morning. She wants to be in my lap on the couch and she wants to eat when I eat. You know how standoffish cats are! :love:

8. ScottishEmma

ScottishEmma Silver

OH MY GOD. You just completely spelled out my entire experience every single month and I'm so happy to read that I'm not alone with this. I too am taking DIM and also Calcium Gluconate to help with estrogen dominance. My cycle is definitely shorter and lighter since taking these and I suppose the rage is a little less (only a little) but my hope is that the sun in Spain will help with the anxiety, mood swings and generally being crazy.

I hadn't heard of ashwaganda helping. I'm going to give that a try, thanks!

But yeah, I am literally your cycle sister!!!

Foxglove, Mystic Rose60 and caroline like this.
  9. shiran

shiran Curious

Great job ! Keep on the good work
    I've noticed that grounding in am sun light 6-10 was the best cure to balance my hormones .. more than taking herbs

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

great update!

Foxglove likes this.
  11. Mystic Rose60

Mystic Rose60 Let the sun shine on you :))

Me too and this has been my main focus on a daily basis and nothing has ever done more for my n=1. It's all about the light that I have allowed in my life.

caroline, shiran and Foxglove like this.
  12. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Yeah I believe that. I'm just concerned about 1) my shortened morning sun time on work days, and 2) the encroaching winter. If I had started earlier in the year, I would be in a better position. But I feel like I didn't get enough exposure over the summer to get me all the way through January and February. Plus, even though my PMDD has improved, I still get flustered when I'm stressed, and there are always some things I can't control (people at work, extra bills).

My goal is to do the best I can this year, and do better next year starting in the early spring. I think herbs are going to be part of my pharmacopoeia this winter, so that I can get through and function well at my inside job without medication.

But the sun exposure on mucus membranes was a game changer! I also didn't mention that part. Huge difference! I like it.

13. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I'm also taking the DIM + CDG. I take Vitex agnus-castis in the am with breakfast (after my morning walks), then ashwaghanda at 3pm (you might play around with the timing, I tried in the morning but it made me drowsy), and DIM with dinner.

I tried to read as much research on it as I could it's really confusing and controversial, but this is the summary I ended up with:

- PMDD has something to do with GABA receptor activity in response to progesterone metabolites. They can't figure out if it's too little, too much, paradoxical reaction, etc.

- Vitex helps more with the physical symptoms of PMS like breast pain and headaches, but it can also help mood symptoms. They know it increases dopamine activity and alters hormones like LH and FSH. So it promotes ovulation and increases progesterone and makes you feel good! This is why I think the sun exposure is better, but Vitex can give you a boost (especially if you want to get pregnant I guess).

- Ashwaghanda has a ton of research behind it. You can look up both of those herbs on Examine . com if you want a list of research references. It increases GABA activity, increases the amount of stress you can handle before cortisol goes up, levels out blood sugar and improves cholesterol profile. I started taking it when I found out about my thyroid antibodies. This is the adaptogenic herb that works best for me, but other people like Rhodiola, ginseng, holy basil, Gymnostemma (Jiaogulan)....

ScottishEmma and shiran like this.
  14. shiran

shiran Curious

I totally agree and think that herbs have a place, I've learned about herbs for 3 years as part of my naturopathic education. In the last 10 months I've used the sun as a tool for healing I'd say it's my best n=1 as well so far....
    It's pure magic. Keep on your in a great path consistency is the key

Foxglove and caroline like this.
  15. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I had my 6-month rheumatology appointment this morning. Since my symptom scores improved so much while off the medication, they are moving me to yearly blood tests! I did ask them to run my Vitamin D and fasting blood sugar today. My next check up is in January, so they can see how I'm doing with the SAD and cold this winter. I have a feeling I'm going to be fine. ;)

Danny, Mystic Rose60 and shiran like this.
  16. Danny

Danny New Member

Don't do the tanning bed in the winter to tan or keep your sun callous. Do the tanning bed for shorter time periods than required for tanning. Sun callous is no good when light levels are lower for winter

17. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I don’t know what that means. I’ve never used a tanning bed before in my life. (Redhead!) My half Native American friend told me I would be fried at 12 minutes, so I’m guessing a lot shorter than that? She suggested 5-7. Im not trying to be “tan.” I’m trying to keep my vitamin D as high as I can, and I don’t want to have the autoimmune light eruption when the sun comes back. I honestly don’t know where to start.

18. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

A lot happened last week.

Firstly I was getting coffee and my coworker said, “You’re so tan!” I wasn’t able to sunbathe this weekend, though, because of the hurricane. I’ve got to get that leaking sun roof fixed...

2. They took me off of a big project at work, one which I honestly wanted to opt out of. It’s not that I disliked the project, it just wasn’t workable with my schedule. I had said numerous times that it was a big stress on me. I’m glad they took the hint. At first I disagreed that I needed to do something else, but then I realized how relieved I was. I just never thought of telling them directly that I didn’t want to do it, because 1) who wants to tell their boss that, and 2) it’s going to be hard to find someone else to do the work and train them. I was also given two completely incompatible projects whose schedules did not go together, and I was never asked if I wanted to or if I was okay with it; I was basically told that’s what I was going to do. I expressed concerns a year ago that I wouldn’t be able to do both of them because they would compete for my time and I couldn’t make both of these two complex and unpredictable projects my first priority. Of course, I was ignored, and no one worked with me to ensure I could do both without the time demands conflicting with each other. The downside of moving me off them is that now they are going to take this as an opportunity to blame me for a lack of organization and focus, instead of blaming the design and poor planning. They are free to pick someone else who they think can do it better without complaining, instead of fixing the problem. Oh well, I did my part. The upside is, I have so much more free time! This is going to be a good change for me. I can go back to another project that is more structured and makes less emotional and time demands on me. I’m excited.

3. I got my blood tests back.

I don’t have neutropenia anymore! My lymph went way down and my neutrophils went up, which is a rarity to see in my blood tests and only happens when I’m pretty healthy. This is the highest they’ve been in years. Yay!

Any time my WBC are over 5, I’m happy. (When I’ve been sick it gets as low as 3.)

Alkaline phosphatase normalized.

My platelets still aren’t great. I don’t think it’s ever been over 200 in my life.

My vitamin D only went up to 43. It’s the highest I’ve tested at, but I wanted better. This gives me a good baseline for the winter and lets me know how I was doing without any supplementation.

Only weird thing is, my bilirubin is still a bit high. This runs in the family and no one has ever explained it. Any ideas? Should I be giving blood? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LabOct2017-1.png LabOct2017-2.png

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

bilirubin stays high when your blue light toxic. It is yellow and that is the complementary color of blue. Get more serious about your choices.

20. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I see. That makes sense.

Well I'm not really sure where the holdup is because I've already changed my light bulbs at my cubicle, and my home lights are definitely under control. I don't have the TV or computer on after dark. Those are the only places I spend a significant amount of time. I'll have to look into every detail and find what is going on. And maybe my most recent changes haven't had time to kick in fully.

Actually I do know that I need to spend more time outside in the morning, because I'm only getting bare minimum. I will start there.

caroline likes this.