1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The arc of the mitochondrial universe is long, but it bends toward optimization

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by Foxglove, Jul 20, 2017.

1. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Your have to help you skin to get there.
    Even with MT-2 be careful and do not get burned.

google:

Buy MT2 - Melanotan II - Melanotan 2 Tanning Injections Online

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

well
    well said Jan!!!

Brent Patrick likes this.
  3. caroline

caroline Moderator

baby steps Foxglove........

did you say you have read Health and Light by John Ott? it is a quick read and inexpensive.

Foxglove likes this.
  4. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Update... Another long one... I hit a road bump on my way to building a solar callus. Why is my life so dramatic??

Turns out I don't have a sunburn, I had a photosensitivity or allergy reaction of some kind.

I had these last summer, I just didn't know what they were. I started calling it "sun sickness". Earlier in my journal I mentioned getting a rash while I was in the sun last year, and feeling sick afterwards. (This didn't happen often because I was indoctrinated on the evils of sun exposure and wasn't in it much.) I thought it was the Plaquenil, but now I think it might be a photoallergic reaction or an inflammation called PMLE. (I called my rheumatologist and left a message, so I'm not in need of immediate medical care or anything.)

Here's what happened. I sat in the sun Friday evening, Saturday morning, afternoon-evening, and Sunday morning. Then again at Sunday midday. Despite being careful to build up my tolerance, yesterday I went inside at 12 with some small spots of burned-feeling skin on my shoulders and tummy. I put aloe on them. About 3 or 4 hours later, I walked by the mirror and shocked to see I had a bright pink color covering about 60% of my body around my bathing suit lines. My stomach, thighs and inner leg down to the ankle, and 100% of my back from my shoulders to hips. It spared my arms and face and feet, which were already slightly tan. It looked like an epic burn out of nowhere, so I immediately treated it with a cold shower, aloe, and some homemade herbal skin balm (calendula, self-heal, and tea tree oil).

I should have gotten a picture but I was more concerned with DNA damage at the time.

This was not like any sunburn I've ever had. Firstly it doesn't burn or sting. It's slightly itchy. The shower didn't irritate it. My skin looks normal, just slightly dry and warmer. No hives. It's pink skin with dilated blood vessels, and a couple tiny broken vessels. Even my 25-year old scar had turned pink. Another thing, my lips didn't burn. But they were swollen and puffy like an allergic reaction.

This morning it looked a lot better, reinforcing my suspicion that this wasn't a burn. I blasted the car AC on it... and when the vessels contracted the pink faded to normal peach. Hmmmm, sunburns don't do that. I also noticed if I rub my leg quickly with my hand, the color returns to normal. After a minute, it turns pink again when the blood comes back. Erythema. It's even faded since this morning; my entire lower back is clear and the rest are just diffuse pink patches.

I was on Plaquenil for a year, Mar 2016-2017. That was the first summer at my apartment with a pool. I stayed in the sun at the pool, I got little bumps on my arms that looked like bug bites. In the evening, I'd get body aches and feel sick, then I would go to bed early. (This happened again on Saturday night - the day before the skin reaction.) Since I had so many other side effects from the drug, I blamed it on that. Now I think differently.

After reading, I actually think it looks like a condition called PMLE, polymorphous light eruption, which is an immune response to sunlight exposure. It usually happens on the first big exposure of the year (check), in young women (check), on parts of the body that aren't used to sun exposure (check!!). It can recur every year. It also causes skin bumps and flu-like symptoms, aches and dizziness. It's associated with autoimmune and thyroid diseases (!!). It fades without scarring. If you go back in the sun, it gets worse. This really sounds like what I have. At least, it's my best lead.

I wouldn't know if I already had this reaction before starting the drug, because I didn't live anywhere with a pool and I was never in the sun.

Information online says PMLE is usually treated with topical steroid and goes away quickly. Some cases can be prevented by taking beta-carotene and slowly building up your sun exposure every year in the spring. It is usually due to UVA more than UVB, but you can get phototherapy treatments with UVA lamps to build your tolerance.

Basically I need to continue building my solar callus the usual way; but I'm going to be more cautious and stop after short exposure periods.

Unless my doctor tells me otherwise, I'm going to eat a bunch of Vitamin A and ramp up my B-6 to degrade any histamine. I'll see what my skin looks like. If it doesn't peel after making half of my body red, then I know it wasn't a sunburn.

In the meantime, I have to stay out of the sun until the inflammation dies down. To be continued...

5. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  6. drezy

drezy New Member

Whoa, take it easy on us shady males dude!

Brent Patrick, JanSz and Foxglove like this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Why do not you listen to dr Wunch.
    Except double your time and add more MT-2 than usually.

We cannot be sun allergic in any way.
    We are made by sunlight.

Now, we may find someone allergic to
    Lugols
    and
    just after
    allergic to Remount unrefined salt.

drezy likes this.
  8. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Stop being so negative Jan! All you say is NO NO NO. To everything I do. I'm tired of it. I said I was just hitting a road bump and I'm working on the improvements. Seriously, stop talking down to me like I'm a child. Just because you don't have any autoimmune issues doesn't mean you can dismiss my experiences. You can sit in the sun without getting a rash. GOOD FOR YOU. I have a LOT of problems with my body and a LOT to overcome and I've done a good job so far!! I've fixed food allergies and I'm going to fix this. I'm figuring it out and moving on. I'm proud of what I've done and I won't stop just because you said something snarky. Why don't you say something positive and encouraging for once?

I listened to the Wunsch lecture more than once. I've got it.

This journal is for my experiences and to document my improvements. Not for people to crap on everything I do. I make my own choices. Rome wasn't built in a day.

caroline, Phosphene and JanSz like this.
  9. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Since my last post, I talked to my family about this. I found out that a couple of my female relatives also get "hives" when they first go out in the sun after not being in it. So now I'm educating them. :)

This is a direct result of me being told to never go out in the sun. My body doesn't know what the heck it's supposed to do because it's nutrient-deprived and not prepared.

I'm really itchy and it gets worse when I go outside. Redness 80% gone. Powering through it.

This paper is informative...
    "Treatment of Polymorphic Light Eruption"
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/stor...bt&s=b9772c6f047dd2dc5240094c1b7109d7585e88fd

"Hydroxychloroquine was reported to have a mild benefit vs. placebo in PLE in a double- blind controlled trial of 28 matched patients (61). The dose of hydroxychloroquine used was 400mg daily for the first month and 200 mg thereafter for a total of 12 weeks. The severity of rash reduced by two points on the visual analogue scale (Po0.01), but PLE was not abolished in most patients. An earlier study by Corbett et al. (62) of 120 PLE patients taking
    chloroquine 400 mg daily for 12 weeks found only a modest reduction in skin irritation."

This explains why I had a rash on the Plaquenil. I was taking a very low dose, lower than this. It wasn't causing it, but it masking the symptoms just enough so I didn't know what was wrong.

The other interventions are gradually building up UVA exposure in the spring, beta carotene, nicotinamide, and steroids. I'm going to reproduce this naturally and let my body create these compounds for itself. So I'm sticking to my anti-inflammatory diet, doing the IR-A bulbs and UVA bulbs, make sure I've got my histidine (seafood) and vitamin A sun protection, and keep up with my Vitamin and mineral levels (more oysters). I'm just at a disadvantage because it's already late summer. If I keep up my protocol, I know I can prevent this from happening next year.

Anita, caroline and JanSz like this.
  10. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I could find plenty of people to say the exact same things about blue light and nnEMF. "You can't be allergic to wifi. Now you're going to tell me that you have chronic Lyme disease."

Throwing out a dismissive statement doesn't make it correct. A dysfunctional body can be allergic to pretty much anything.

JanSz likes this.
  11. drezy

drezy New Member

Has zest and feistiness (check).
    LOL
    That's just Jan being Jan.

I like your approach of building up slowly and paying attention.

Brent Patrick, caroline and JanSz like this.
  12. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Sorry if I went overboard. I've had a LIFETIME of men telling me that all my shit is in my head. I don't react well to it. It doesn't make a difference to me whether it's meant well or not. It's not helpful.

caroline, JanSz and ScottishEmma like this.
  13. drezy

drezy New Member

Like you I kinda use intuition and my senses often to tell me what's working or not. I can tell from my blood pressure/cold hands, focus, and other minor issues whether I'm in the zone or not. Jan has a different approach.

IMO fight Jan all you want. I've thought this out. Sure, he's 78+ so maybe in some societal sense I'm supposed to treat him with some deference and hyper-respect as though we'll be pine boxing him up any day now. Nah, that's not for me. He's got more energy than most 30 year olds I've worked with. In a guy sense he's still a viable competitor and I'll treat him as such even if he balks at my lack of care of high DHA numbers and accuses me of being like Genova Diagnostics (I suspect in Jan-ese this is a severely derogatory term).

I've been very fortunate with health even given my SNPS. I've worked in groups of 80+ people where almost everyone but me got a cold or flu. I went 8 years in between any cold or flu. I really should have been worse off, but dodged the bullet somehow... Useful SNPS? Rural upbringing?

Whatever the case, everyone's issue on here could have been me. It's why I tune in, in case I can help in some way. I strongly suspect Jan tunes in because your a vivacious and feisty redhead....

Jackass_Presents_Bad_Grandpa.jpg

Foxglove and caroline like this.
  14. shiran

shiran Curious

Try kiniki

Foxglove likes this.
  15. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I had some time to deal with my feelings. I feel bad that I blew up. I hate setbacks. I am not patient. But new information is a good thing. You have to take the good with the bad and go where the truth takes you. My skin gets very itchy every time I go outside, which is like torture, but it's subsiding. I've braved a few minutes in the sun every day. When I go home, I close my blackout curtains and use the IR bulb.

On a positive note. I've been eating a couple servings of salmon or shrimp religiously every day.

My rosacea has taken a miraculous turn. In 15 years I have not been able to figure out how to control it or what makes it go into remission. I know the triggers, but that doesn't help me. Right now the skin on my face looks and feels amazing! That makes me very happy.

I've also gained more melanin, despite the photo reaction. As the rash fades I can tell that I'm not nearly as pale. Hybrid tanning for the win!

I talked to someone who has had PMLE. She said she used a combination UVA/UVB tanning bed over the winter so as not to lose her tolerance. She admitted it took a couple years of ketogenic diet along with light exposure to control the skin reactions.

Since the standard UVA treatment requires a toxic drug and increases skin cancer rates, I'm going for the natural IR/UVA/UVB method.

I also spoke to someone else who has used IR bulbs for a different skin problem. We came up with some ideas I am going to try, such as lymph drainage through massage/dry brushing and increasing doses of niacin. I am also suspicious that my rash isn't from the UV radiation per se, but from the radiation breaking down some crap in my skin, causing an immune response. UVA and UVB have so many positive effects on autoimmune skin conditions and the immune system in general. I think I just have to let it do what it's going to do, and deal with the itching.

I'm starting to think more and more that I need real CT. I am not sure how this face in the bowl thing works. I tried to put cool water in my tub to treat my sun rash, and I discovered a new problem: my water heater is in a utility room on an external wall that gets the hot afternoon sun. So when I keep the faucet on full cold, the water is actually just warm. Ugh. That's going to require putting more ice in it to melt and cool down all the water.

Now that I've been dramatic, I can go back to figuring out this problem and smashing it with a hammer.

Anita and caroline like this.
  16. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I don't have a problem with debating anyone, or arguing if necessary. No hard feelings. I think we all get fiesty about what's important to us. That's okay.

I have been fortunate in some ways, too. I had the flu once, when I was a toddler. I had the chicken pox. Aaaaaand, that's it. I rarely if ever get a cold these days. All my illness is inflammatory, never infectious. I've never had pneumonia or strep throat. But one time I did pick up a stomach bug that was going around. So my immune system is doing something right!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  17. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

I understand why you think this is a good idea, but I don't want to inject anything into my body as long as I have an overactive immune system. Any foreign protein is a recipe for disaster. I could be the first person to induce anti-MSH antibodies and create a new disease.

And besides that, redheads have mutated MC1 receptors. I could inject it, have an allergic reaction, and then pee it out.

18. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

Speaking of redheads, I found this interesting paper, the implications of which I have not quite figured out..... But I believe this could be pointing toward an evolutionary advantage in redheads. Current thinking holds that red hair holds no advantages, except for the pale skin that allows more vitamin D production at higher latitudes. I don't think this is a complete theory, given that red hair is also found in other places, like Papua New Guinea. This might help answer the question.... I hope someone follows this up.

Redheads have higher levels of a pituitary hormone called Cthrc1
    http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0100449

"Examining Cthrc1 plasma levels in healthy human subjects we made the unexpected discovery that all subjects with red hair had elevated Cthrc1 levels, some with levels several hundred fold higher than subjects with hair color other than red. Valverde et al. [17] have demonstrated previously that variants of the MC1R gene are responsible for pigmentation and red hair color in humans. Signaling via MC1R is responsible for the production of eumelanin (black pigmentation) and three variant alleles account for 60% of all red hair cases in humans [18]. Among Europeans approximately 4% of the population has red hair with the highest percentage of approximately 13% found in Scotland [21]. While MC1R variants are under selective pressure in Africa, Harding et al. [22] found no evidence for selection in European populations despite the increased risk of skin cancer [23], [24]. Our study is the first to identify a hormonal factor, Cthrc1, to be elevated in subjects with red hair. We have demonstrated that deletion of the Cthrc1 gene leads to fatty liver (steatosis) formation in mice [14] while others showed that inactivation of this gene also results in low bone mass [25]. The relationship between impaired MC1R signaling and elevated Cthrc1 levels with potential consequences for bone and liver requires further investigation. Ligands for the melanocortin receptors, such as alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone (α-MSH) are derived from the POMC precursor protein through processing by prohormone convertases. Originally discovered in the pituitary gland, α-MSH plays an important role in energy balance as well as inhibition of inflammation mediated predominantly via inhibition of NF-κB activation [26], [27], [28]. MC1R is not only expressed on melanocytes but also on non-melanocytic cutaneous cells as well as on cells regulating immune responses and inflammation, e.g. gut mucosa, dendritic cells, macrophages, mast cells and neutrophils (for review [29]). Furthermore, MC1R is also expressed on chondrocytes [30]suggesting a role in bone formation. Currently no information is available for humans carrying variant alleles of MC1R with regards to inflammatory status, and any potential link between melanocortin receptor signaling and Cthrc1 expression requires further investigations."

"Cthrc1 plasma levels were also significantly elevated during pregnancy, in diabetes, in inflammatory and infectious conditions, acute myeloid leukemia but not solid cancers."

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  19. drezy

drezy New Member

Don't over analyze your reaction. I think the feisty female may have the best shot at long term optimized surviva. It's not the feistiness per se but the more rapid expulsion of actions that do not suit her on the surface and also as judged by intuition.

That said, I encourage you to fight... and fight for your life. If I get scratched in the process I'd gladly wear the ego scar. I'll boldly speak for Jan too. A 78 year old man, with the focus better than most 28 year olds I've worked with, got barked at by a 31 year old firebrand. I think you likely energized the man. I share some culture with Jan and arguments are different in some cultures. A female arguing with us is like a butcher throwing bacon at a dog they want to scare away. Bottom line there's no chance you get rid of him now.

Seriously though, any guy that has done the homework Jack assigns knows what females are up against. We are on your side.

20. Foxglove

Foxglove New Member

If I didn't, I wouldn't be here! :)

caroline and drezy like this.