1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The 5th most important thing you need to know about Diet and Exercise

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

autophagy does.......and we covered that in BG 11 and many other blogs.

2. Barry

Barry New Member

Reptilian Brain Chemistry

3. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-7/

4. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

That tripped something off for me later.

I suddenly remembered the way people have used fasting - it would be involved in a Native American vision quest, for example - and isn't fasting ketosis?

Like many people interested in prehistory I've got David Lewis-Willisms' book The Mind in the Cave.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mind-Cave-Consciousness-Origins/dp/0500284652/

Lewis-Williams, Professor Emeritus at the University of the Witwatersrand, believes that the cave paintings were done in a state of trance. This is partly based upon features of the paintings - for example the superimposed geometric designs, which are what one would see going into trance (phosphenes) - but also draws on accounts of the few people yet making these in last few centuries, specifically Native Americans and Bushmen.

Lewis-Williams gives a list of ways people have been known to use to get into altered states of consciousness: auditory driving, dancing, sensory deprivation, fasting, pain, cold, use of plant poisons, and on and on. I suppose I had been vaguely thinking of all these simply as disrupters of normal functioning, but it's interesting that fasting, when you think about it, has this connection with a quite special metabolic state.

Lewis-Williams believes that hominids other than Homo sapiens, such as Neanderthals, may not have been able to get into altered states of consciousness, and this may be one of the reasons why they seem to have left no art.

I think the Bradshaw Foundation for rock art now has some articles by him:

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com

5. Linz

Linz Gold

Perhaps these extremes are disrupters of normal function but in optimal health what is normal function of the senses?

Amazing artistic or musical abilities are obvious to everyone and seen as special but a super sense of smell like our dogs would probably be interpreted as eccentric, and sensing unseen electrical/magnetic forces as deeply suspicious.

Is a cat's purr involuntary like shivering when it needs to protect itself from danger, stress or pain, does it make a conscious effort to purr because it needs to or both? Strange that Western medical science (or even vet science) pays little attention to the self healing ability of cats.

6. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

IOW what is optimal normal function of the senses? Interesting question.

I think the point about the art is that people imagined an artist with a brush making some sort of artistic statement - like someone might in our society. But that's anachronistic.

If you look at any art - go wander around the Tate or the Prado or anywhere - almost everything pre about 1500 is likely to be "religious" in some sense of the word. Secular art took centuries to emerge.

Add to that the further back into the past you go, the less doctrinal "religion" is likely to be and the more concerned with direct experience (real or illusory as you like). Someone like Aquinas couldn't have existed in a hunter-gatherer society.

7. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Reading "Alive" 40th anniversary edition, as recommended on Jack's book list.

8. Michael

Michael Super Moderator