1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The 5th most important thing you need to know about Diet and Exercise

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

You see what you see in yourself and it might have nothing to do with me.

What I was pointing out is that Barry has none of that going on. Good reason to assume that he is healthy. One way or another.

2. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Transitional Apes don't post on message boards. We're the kind of creatures we are for good or bad.

Besides our environment is not like that of the Rift Valley hundreds of thousands of years ago. (And we need to know that.)

Taubes reports an interesting experiment in Good Calories, Bad Calories. (He really is very good, and too bad he's been ignorantly turned into an object of semi-ridicule on paleo boards by the actions of far lesser men.) So anyway he says that reseachers deliberately made rats diabetic. Then they put them in cages where there was a wide choice of food. What happened? The rats ate only protein and fat ignoring all carbohydrate until their blood glucose stabilized. The rat does the right thing. A human being, of course, would do the wrong thing. He'd listen to his doctor's advice. And because some, not all, doctors are working with broken theories, the advice would probably be bad.

Yes, logos
    - speech or reason - can lead us astray. But it can also enable us to help ourselves in situations where a cat or a dog just couldn't. And at the end of the day, would you rather lead the life of a more limited being or the life of a human? "The unexamined life is not worth living," said Socrates. There's a bit at the beginning of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
    where someone observes that the cows are contentedly chewing the cud because they don't about death, whereas humans do. Well, that's part of the human condition, too. We know about things, and we seek to know about things.

Does Jack's site cause me anxiety? Not at all. It intrigues me and stimulates my mind. It tells me about the world I inhabit and my place in it.

3. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Really the answer to that is within yourself, most likely. You just need to learn how to access it again. We're still animals. Use your brain gone off road instead to find that answer. No doctor will ever give you the answer to what is right for you. How DOES an animal know that it is sick?

4. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

You're making assumptions and I think there also is a language barrier involved.

But I'm going to say anyways that calling someone "your sick brain" is an insult no matter how sick or healthy the brain of the person in question and no matter how big the language barrier. I would appreciate if you stopped assuming that your brain is so much healthier than mine. Thanks.

5. shah78

shah78 Gold

Can you find that study with the diabetic rats curing themselves. That is outstanding! That's a "smoking gun" type of evidence, on the level of Nixon's "secret" tapes!

6. Inger

Inger Silver

Soul. Me too have a sick brain. I never said my brain is healthier, I wonder where you read that.. I need to follow my heart just because of that my brain is still sick! This is what I am talking about, don't you see Soul, please try.. I am not trying to be mean here, why? What would that bring. I am a former bulemic and I am feeling strong when reading your journal about throwing up repeatedly.. you write about it as it were almost fine.. it hurts you Soul.. It is a fallacy that you feel better after, maybe you do know it.. I know this too well, I had the same. I felt better after purging too. But it hurted me. Like a drug addict. They feel better from drugs but is it good, no.

Soul I so want to apologise if you feel I ment it in a bad way because that was not what I ment. I need you to know this. Now.. it is kind of weird to me you are complaining often and still you want it your way... even if it clearly do not work that well when you listen to your brain.. but maybe I am weird..

I am in Scandinavia and here we say things pretty stright. Not much need to make it pretty if it is not.. that is our culture it is like that. That might be a language barrier for sure too.. or cultural barrier.. I just want you to know I never mean to be mean.

And Soul.. I would not compare us to animals in this matter.. we are broken in todays world in a way animals could never be. They have a very different brain as we have as well. I am sure you know that already but in case you forgot it in your reasoning.

But sure I could have used a better word, not sick brain. You are very right about that Soul. It does sound pretty mean when I think about it at least out of the context. I just do not now what word to use instead..

I apologize.

7. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

That doesn't really address anything I said. It more-or-less repeats what you already said.

8. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Disagree. A human growing up in the U.S. possibly would.

9. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Thanks for the apology.

10. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

Yes, it's interesting, isn't it?

I suggest that it doesn't, of course, prove that animals are always "wiser" than humans, or that instinct is always superior to reason. It's just an illustration that sometimes our ability to be able to have concepts at all can lead us astray.

Instinct doesn't, of course, always come up with the right answer to a problem. Don't ask a hedgehog how to cross a road.

Nor do animals always instinctively know what to eat and what to avoid. Charles Dickens's pet raven died because it ate lead paint -- something it's master would not have done.

And the notion that Dr. Kruse should not work on the basis of lab tests and carefully controlled procedures perplexes me.

Anyway, the rat story does tend to suggest that rats are more sensible when it comes to a diet for diabetics than, say, the ADA. It's referred to in Good Calories, Bad Calories. I don't know which page. It might be quite a task to find it even though the book is indexed.

11. shah78

shah78 Gold

I've avoided reading GC,BC because he's preaching to the choir(ME) and it is 500 pages. However, finding"your"rat study will be my impetus for wading through the mighty tome,the "paleo" WAR and PEACE.

12. maggie

maggie New Member

Here's a random factoid that I've always found fascinating. I found the info years ago when I was writing a little piece on Dr. Rodriguez for a textbook I worked on and it stuck in my mind--the primal sense of animals! Just had to insert (from Wikipedia):

Zoopharmacognosy refers to the process by which non-Human animals self-medicate, by selecting and using plants, soils, and insects to treat and prevent disease. Coined by Dr. Eloy Rodriguez, a biochemist and professor at Cornell University, the word is derived from roots zoo ("animal"), pharma ("drug"), and gnosy ("knowing").[1]

Observers have noticed that some species ingest non-foods, such as toxic plants, clay or charcoal, to ward off parasitic infestation or poisoning.[2] Jane Goodall witnessed chimpanzees eating certain bushes to make themselves sick, and substantial evidence indicates that they swallow whole the leaves of certain rough-leaved plants, such as Aneilema aequinoctiale, in order to remove parasitic worms from their intestines.[3] Some Brazilian parrots eat kaolin (a form of clay).

Illustrating the medicinal knowledge of some species, apes have been observed selecting a particular part of a medicinal plant by taking off leaves, then breaking the stem to suck out the juice.[4] In an interview with Neil Campbell, Rodriguez describes the importance of biodiversity to medicine:

Some of the compounds we've identified by zoopharmacognosy kill parasitic worms, and some of these chemicals may be useful against tumors. There is no question that the templates for most drugs are in the natural world.[4]

William Astor has observed self-medicative behavior in captive estrildid finches.[5] The finches, of several different species, were observed to correctly target appropriate antibiotics out of a range made available to them, through which they were able to cure themselves of life threatening diseases (as opposed to relatively minor ailments like indigestion). These finches did not learn this self-medicative behavior from their parents or others in the flock through social learning like apes and chimpanzees are suspected of doing. This ability of estrildid finches seems to be innate

13. Inger

Inger Silver

Anna.. how strange how different we can feel...

To me all of this you write above do not even cross my mind really. I read something.. I instinctively know it is better then I did before.. and I do it. I am thinking very little of food actually, and I am very strict one could say. It is not stressing me one bit. I want to feel great. Great!!! Then I know what I have to do. It is so easy, just do.

I must admit I have hard time to see why some great information could be a burden..? Espesially when it makes life easier.. cheap and easy? I never felt that way.. why? Then I would only stay in my way to better health?

If I am not ready to give something up I wait. I do it when i feel like it but it does not stress me. Step by step.. the road is fun.. you never know what comes around the next corner.. it is soo exiting..:) Because it is always something better... and better.. wow!

14. Barry

Barry New Member

My posts are to encourage people to look further afield and to get people to think about the big picture. They are not here to stimulate bickering and pettiness. That's not part of the big picture.

I'm also not looking to create an "us" and "them". There's no slander or insult intended. Say what you have to say if it has a valid point and if it is constructive. If not, leave it be.

Some get where I'm coming from, some don't, fine. We're all on different paths. The important thing to realise is that there is no "best" path to be on. I'm not saying my path is the best. Just be happy with the one you're on, make the most of it and enjoy the scenery as you go along..

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Barry you are doing it right. Question everyone and everything no matter what. I love your posts.

16. It's on page 430 of Taubes' GCBC (location 8613 in the Kindle edition)

The study was by Carl Richter of John Hopkins way back in the 1930s.

I once saw a documentary about a tribe somewhere in Africa. Pretty much a stone age type culture. The interesting thing was that the pregnant women of that tribe regularly walked quite a long distance to a particular hill where they ate the soil or clay. They had apparently done so for countless generations. One western antropologist or biologist got interested and analyzed samples of this soil and found that it was very high in certain minerals that were lacking in the ordinary diet of the tribe! When asked why they ate the soil, the pregnant women answered something along the lines of "We just crave it". Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

(Unfortunately, I don't remember the names of the tribe, the country or the minerals..)

17. shah78

shah78 Gold

Thanks a lot.

18. Rodney

Rodney New Member

Hi Barry,

Informative post on 5th most important thing we need to know about diet and exercise and thanks for sharing with others also. Diet and exercise both are must to lose weight and increase health so we must exercise regularly and watch what we eat.

19. Inger

Inger Silver

Anna.. I see you. You ask, what would I do with the oysters? Hmm.. I would search and do the best I can. To me searching is fun. It is like playing games.. or exploring. I learn a bunch. Then I do the best I can. I test too. I test on myself (but only on myself.. never feed anything you are nor sure is safe to anybody else!!! If I make a wormy MHS and my bro wants too, I warn him.. there might be worms in here.. that could be dangerous.. I drink it but maýbe you should not). It is fun too. If I get no answer no where I just test it out, then I know for sure. I never test anything deadly dangerous but close..lol. Just kidding. I always research well before I test anything that I make sure there will be no irreversible damage. I read about others experiense.

Anna.. I enjoy my food very much. No, not the mackerel heads.. not yet.. lol and the rotten meat is just a little and occasional, it is not a meal or anything close.

Taste is very much conditioning too. You will start to like oysters after you ate them a few times, but maybe not the first time. At least that was how it went for me. You just need to have a open mind and let your body adjust.. in the beginning it do need some dicipline and will to outstand some uncomfortableness. If I eat something yucky I always give myself something I very much enjoy after. Like salmon tartar.

If I feel not so well.. I know to eat more yucky food..lol that is when I go very strict and forget about enjoyment totally. I need to feel well that is my first priority. When I do that I feel well again very fast! And I need less yucky stuff..lol.

What enjoyment is a life feeling unwell? Wasted to me. It is a wasted life.

Anna.. think about it not like you were failing.. you are learning! :)That is fun! Learning is fun! And to learning mistakes are tied. That is how it is..lol. Nothing to stress about. Baby steps. The direction matters.. not how fast it goes. I go very slow!

Oh.. and about the frying.. I do not fry anything actually.. maybe some mushrooms in coconut oil.. I cook stuff in a little water or fishbroth and pour olive oil on it after ready. Tastes great! It is just about to learn some new cooking skills. Frying creates AGEs too and cooking always is better. Or eating plain.. or raw.. I can tell you one can make increadible delicious food with just raw seafood too!:)

I look at Jacks protocol like a goal I am coming closer, like the direction where I am hiding. I am so very thankful to him because he opened my eyes big time. Without him I would never have realized it is bad to sit in front of the computer late at night.. or having all these fake lights on. Or how bad stress actually is! Or that it is good to have it on the cool side.. to embrace the cold. I always thought.. the warmer the better!!! How wrong was I! I am not sitting one hour in a ice bath. Not even close. I just dip into the river instead of showering and do some minor other stuff like facedunks. Just a few. I am not pushing me. But I am not scared of the cold anymore at all.. and that makes all the difference. I have it cooler now in my appartement. A little less clothes. I take baby steps and I enjoy it so much. I concentrate on seafood now instead of meat. I like it.

I like ALL about this trip. I am hiding in the right direction and that is what counts, not how fast I walk! I know where to go. That itself is beautiful. And the trip needs to be joyful because every day is so much worth. What if I were to die tomorrow? We never know. I need to embrace life fully, to enjoy the moment. I do not want to spend one single day in negative moods.. self pity.. feeling bad.. If detox goes too bad that I suffer I cut back. That is how I am. I need to enjoy every day. Others takes the suffering and go faster. I am not like that..lol..

20. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

Inger, we have a very similar approach. I am on this path, not running, but walking steadily, not doing anything dangerous, but always moving forward. Not caring what others think, they have no idea how empowering it is to treat yourself right. I feel better everyday and I am enjoying the journey even with all it's trials. As one thing changes it opens the door for another change. It doesn't happen all at once. Adaptation does not have to be an emergency. I measure stress in my life. Is a certain thing important enough to stress about? More and more I say no and I leave it behind. Everytime I do this I increase my ability to let go. Letting go is freedom. You continue to be an inspiration.