1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The 5th most important thing you need to know about Diet and Exercise

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

I’ll continue in the same vain. These blogs are going somewhere, I’m not 100% sure yet, but it’s a journey with a purpose.

This blog is inspired by another ted talk – Synthesize your own Happiness. All of my blogs are linked; everything is tied together, just like the levees. Before I start, I’m a chemist by trade. I’m now a sports nutritionist for elite athletes. Up until quite recently, I believed that everything related to health was dictated by nutrition. My passion is nutrition and my expertise if you like lies there. However, I’ve barely talked much about nutrition specifics in these blogs so far, I think that’s worth mentioning.

Again, these thoughts are from a disease free, healthy, fit, young person. I say this not to brag but simply to remind people that my understanding and perception can and will differ from others based on these facts. However, I am trying to take a helicopter view here and hopefully make people really look inside themselves and separate the woods from the trees.

I think Jack and his followers are facing a major paradox. The information and theory is quality. The research, interpretation and intuition are excellent (despite it still being questionable, everything is questionable, nothing is definite). However, this is continuously pushing the boundaries to happiness. Happiness is essentially what people are chasing. The more we uncover, the more we learn and disseminate, the bigger the boundaries become. This makes it more difficult to achieve one’s goals and ultimately it can result in failure. If the choices increase in number, the fish bowl becomes bigger and the expectations rise. Is this a good thing?? I think not

Let me put this in context. You have a Vit D level of 60ng/ml but you know it’s better to have it closer to 100. Your keto sticks are pink instead of deep purple. Your o3/06 ration is 4:1 instead of 2:1. Your total cholesterol is low but your alpha LDL is high. All this causes you stress and stress as everyone knows is the assassin. Now I know the instant response will be “you need to measure, without measures you’re guessing etc etcâ€￾. I measure based on feel. If I don’t feel right, I do something to change it and improve that feel. I don’t look at lab numbers and make the decision. I’ve looked at lots of lab data, and all I will say is that it very rarely reflects the true state of the individuals health. I;ve seen ridiculously high CK levels and then the athlete goes and puts in their best performance. That’s just one example. This is where the cross-over possibly occurs in this context i.e. you need to be healthy to go on feel. However, I still think the principle applies in general.

Humans have the ability to synthesize their own happiness yet choice, expectation, comparisons and greater scope means that this becomes impossible for most. I think this creates a mismatch within a mismatch. The aim is to live, feed, exercise and behave according to our natural genome. Do you think our ancestors were looking at their hormonal panel and blood chemistries and sending labs to 23andme?? I think this inhibits the very pathway you want to keep lit on the road to optimal. Epigenetics. It all comes back to this. Your thoughts govern you, not the numbers on a lab sheet.

Create your own happiness and let your genes express themselves accordingly.

“Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is definedâ€￾

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

But what if the quality food we eat changes our perceptions? What if rediscovering circadian rhythms and the cold end up changing our personalities? I've found myself much calmer, less stressed, and happier in the months since I changed to a seafood-based diet. Instead of being happy that the scale is moving in the right direction, or that my vitamin D is rising, or instead of being concerned if my fasting blood glucose jumps up, I find myself growing joyful. I feel like I've leaned a fabulous secret, and the world is becoming my oyster.

I know for a fact that I am moving in the right direction, and I'm becoming less concerned about the minutea. I'm dropping supplements as the bottles empty, and i find myself spending more time finding new seafoods to discover, or figuring out how to spend more time outside. I definitely don't feel more stress. I am feeling younger and younger, and I'm delighted with life.

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

"I think Jack and his followers are facing a major paradox."

I love paradox. But I embrace chaos.

"Create your own happiness and let your genes express themselves accordingly."

Your genes are your first copy......your life is defined by the the future editions.

"If I don’t feel right, I do something to change it and improve that feel. I don’t look at lab numbers and make the decision."

True health is defined by your sensations.......and your sensory organ is the brain. My protocols fine tune your instrument.

"Your thoughts govern you, not the numbers on a lab sheet."

I coined the phrase, 'you can change your DNA with a thought.'

“Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is defined”

There are no walls in biology, unless you erect them. I understand that randomness, yet you are not able to feel it.

4. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Barry, I still love your posts even though my starting point with this forum is so different from yours. I relate to what you are saying. And what Nonchalant says too. For me, it's about having more in my life than just physiology as a focus. And it's about knowing that there will always be things I cannot control (as well as things I can learn to exercise more control over). I think you can be lab-savvy AND intuitive... and that there should be a match. And I agree that we all want to be happy. But I don't think you can chase happiness. For me, I have to realign myself to the world (internal and external) so I can be happy in any moment, regardless of what my labs say or if my children are having a melt down or if we're struggling financially. But - at its core - finding this sort of happiness means not fighting against yourself. And I think that's what you're pointing to - mismatches occur when we fight against ourselves and our essential natures.

5. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Barry you dont get the process.........Inger got it intuitively. Most of the people here are modern humans afraid of their intuition. I tell them to embrace it as Inger did in the Heart Disease thread started by Michael..........I do what I do here because the modern human brain is diseased and needs someone to hold its hand to overcome its fears to get to the freedom of intuition. I gave you more credit than you deserve, I see now.

You dont see what I am doing at all..............

Love the posts..........but I am sad to say, I clearly failed you because your are blind to the flashlight.

6. jib

jib New Member

Oh, he sees what you are doing, he just has a different perspective of the "view" so to speak...

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

interesting........ ;)

8. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

I don't think ignorance is bliss yet that seems akin to your point. We each need to find our own optimal. Knowledge and application are a fine path in my fish bowl. I'm a learner by personality and learning is its own reward not a stressor. Others have their own way. One mantra here is "scales are for fish" (yum fish, had sashimi for lunch and made scallops for the first time. That wasn't part of my happy fish blow 2 months ago). I weigh my self nearly every morning. It causes me no stress. I look forward to it. If it did cause stress I would ditch it in a heart beat like some do. My favorite scale is my belt. It seems to feed my intuition information on body composition and inflamation from poor food choices. Not bad for something that keeps my pants from falling off. Of course it really is my intuition or my primal sense reading my body.

Labs have been very instructive as well as has an education consult. I have 2 concrete things to address with my doctor that would have been guess work without them. At 46 I'm starting andropause and have to decide what optimal means to me. I could BHRT my way to a 17 year olds hormones and maybe live longer and healthier for the rest of my days. Is that optimal in my fish bowl? Excellent question. I don't have that answer and this doesn't stress me in the least. Today I made my life better by applying what I have learned. The sun came up. I have never loved my wife more. I don't see growing a bigger fish bowl as an obstacle to happiness.

9. Barry

Barry New Member

Jack, this is not an attack, it's a challenge , accept it, don't dismiss it

I'm on your side and I can see what you're doing, I'm just trying to look past it

There are patterns emerging here.. There are those that refuse to disagree with you and stay on the bandwagon , there are those that are doing it right and using your info on feel, then there are those that are looking at the big picture and coming to the realisation that I am trying to lay out

As I've said before, I'm not trying to be right and my aim is to constructive.. I'm just telling it how it is from my perspective

I'm not blind to the flashlight, I just don't need one anymore , all my lights are on ... And I'm just trying to share what I can see with everyone , including yourself

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I see what youre saying......I need to focus less on illness and more on health and performance. I think in due time that will come. I do not look at any of your posts as an attack. I am not sure why you think that. I think I understand what youre trying to say.

11. I really enjoy reading these posts and differing views. I think we all approach this from the building we are currently standing on which includes everything up to this point. Our building may include illness or not, childhood issues or not, performance based, etc but we each are unique and different and our "views" may be different but nonetheless valid. Fun stuff!

12. Barry

Barry New Member

No, just more on health with the floodlights on, not just the flashlight.

Health is not about numbers and data. It's also not about theory and facts. I wish it was but its not. It's also not about individual interpretation.

That's what I'm saying ..,

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well in the ask Jack forum I post something about dairy.......I gave the bad side first......then I just added the Barry side of the equation. I think this is what youre driving at.

Health is totally about individual context......that I disagree with.

14. Linz

Linz Gold

Barry, your observations are interesting and we certainly live in a world of too much choice but knowledge allows us to make the right choice and take control of our own lives. To me Jack is not increasing choice at all but increasing knowledge. I live a happy life but a health problem lurks in the shadows and the knowledge I have gained here gives me a positive way forward - get the background right, and then yes I think a few magic bullets may actually repair damage that could never be repaired in the wrong environment.

You appear to suggest most should not have this knowledge because it will cause too much anxiety. There is a great deal more anxiety in an ever downward spiral of health and an increasing sense that the professionals employed to help can do less and less. Reverse disease, live well, push performance to the limit - it's all part of a spectrum, and how amazing to begin to understand the science that links it all. I don't think there is a reason to limit the information to either end of the spectrum.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

this thread shows you how our reality is colored by our perception.

16. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Alex, very nice to hear from you again. That is outstanding news about your sister. Not just that she is knocking their socks off athletically, but because you have showed someone else the secret to healthy living. She is lucky to have you as her brother.

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Nice point, Linz. It would be like dumbing-down Jack's book, when it comes out. Sure, it would be an easier read, but why publish it in the first place, if all you are going to do is make gentle suggestions with no background info?

18. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Barry you may have answered this in another thread, but a serious question for you. How do you know you are disease-free and healthy? It is via testing? Intuition? Something else?

19. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Maybe the same way a transitional ape knew it's healthy and disease free? Live, eat, reproduce, and be happy. Animals know when they are not healthy..... they retreat. They rest. They refuse food.

20. Inger

Inger Silver

I am going to be brutally honest with you now Soul because it looks you do not really want to get it.

Refuse food. Are you talking about you. Your right to not eat, your sick brain telling you not to eat and you say it is the right thing to do.

I very much doubt so. I just saw my own brother with mental illness do so much better on seafood-diet.. but then he got the idea through a vegetarian "friend" he needs to fast and there it went. FAST downhill. After he ate only crap, total crap. He is very bad off now.

The worst thing you can do when you have a brain that is in desperate needs of certain nutrients to heal. Why, Soul.. why?