1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The 5 Pillars of Performance

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

Through what I've studied, practiced and experienced ... I have identified 5 key factors that govern athletic performance. This excludes exercise. They are factors which have been discussed and mentioned in my threads and in jacks blogs. They are all interrelated. You must have all 5 on order to get optimal performance . And it relates more to endurance performance then strength or speed.

As primordial living is about having "fun" , let's have some ! Give your 5 , in no particular order and if someone gets it right , well, I'll give them a pat on the back.

You can guess too Jack ;-)

2. AKMan

AKMan New Member

1. Genetic potential

2. Proper nutrition

3. Functional endocrine system

4. Healthy guts

5. Good sleep

3. Barry

Barry New Member

Too general. The pillars are specifics . Think adaptations

4. AKMan

AKMan New Member

1. Fasted state training

2. CT

3. Ketogenic seafood diet

4. Darkness after sunset

5. Kerrygold butter in your Bailey's (Bulletproof shooters)

5. Barry

Barry New Member

Good work !

3 out of 5 !!

6. janagram

janagram New Member

Bailey's???!! Holy crap! I'll have one!!

7. earlyriser

earlyriser New Member

I am going to guess 1,2,3 are the ones he got right? Would that be correct?

8. Barry

Barry New Member

Correct ;-)

9. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Why not light cycles? (Obviously I don't know what you believe 4 & 5 are.) Light cycles/circadian rhythms directly impact not only our health/inflammation/insulin but they are a key hormonal pathway... which ties to optimal levels of T and growth hormone etc. So doesn't getting the melatonin-cortisol axis right directly and hugely impact optimal performance, at least the sort that doesn't kill you young?

10. Barry

Barry New Member

there is no doubt it is important but its not part of the 5... maybe number 6 ;-)

11. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

You gonna say what 4 and 5 are? :) (how does one beg in a keto-adapted, fasted-state sort of way?)

12. Barry

Barry New Member

all good things come to those that wait ;-)

13. AKMan

AKMan New Member

Another stab:

1. Fasted state training

2. CT

3. Ketogenic seafood diet

4. Adequate recovery between training sessions

5. Brain glycogen maintenance during endurance event

14. Barry

Barry New Member

nope, 4&5 are big time adaptation triggers.... and have been mentioned numerous times on Jacks blog and this forum

15. johnnyb

johnnyb Gold

How about positive mental attitude? A thought can change your DNA. I bet it can also keep one's elite butt moving.

16. Barry

Barry New Member

I'll give you that one. But lets call it Epigenetics !! And yes, its huge when it comes to athletes and adaptations. Where you train, how you train, who you train with... besides nutrition.... make a massive difference to training adaptations

1 left !

17. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

In your first post, you said these 5 key factors relate more to endurance performance than strength or speed. Could you elaborate on how the 4 identified so far are endurance-specific, especially #3 & #4? I've been asking myself what is different about endurance performance versus speed & strength and would like to understand your take on the specificity of these pillars to endurance. Thanks!

18. Barry

Barry New Member

Lyndra, its all to do with fat/keto adaptation. This is key for endurance, particularly ultra endurance. Read up on RER and how its measured and what it means. All of my pillars lower this.

Speed and Strength performance is not driven by RER. While my pillars still can help these athletes, they have more of an indirect relationship.

19. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I get how keto-adapting affects endurance performance, but I'm still not following how "where you train, how you train, who you train with" relates to endurance specifically and not speed/strength.

20. Barry

Barry New Member

I never said epigenetics doesn't relate to speed and strength .. Of course it does . What I'm saying is that the 5 pillars combined together apply more specifically to endurance performance.