1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

The 4th most important thing you need to know about diet and fitness

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by Barry, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Barry

Barry New Member

Before I start, I should emphasize that these posts are "in my opinion"... and I realize my opinion comes from the other side of the bridge. I just want to make that clear before people start complaining about me not seeing it from their perspective etc etc... this is not the debate. This is just my opinion, thats all.

No.4: Create your own orchestra with the best conductor.

To recap

1. There ain’t no… nothing is more important than the other, everything counts

2. Listen to your own body and go on feel

3. Optimal does not have to be extremism

This leads me on to no.4. What sparked me to write this was a recent ted talk I watched about the paradox of choice. You see most people think choice leads us to freedom and happiness. However, the opposite is often true. Too much choice can make us paralyzed and this results in us becoming dissatisfied.

It is this paradox of choice that I see happening everyday when it comes to health and fitness. You can go paleo, ketogenic, epi-paleo, VLC, LCHF, etc etc. You can do crossfit, movnat, tabatha, metcon, eccentric loading, high rep, low rep, run/walk, cycle/swim. These are all choices and they all have their merits. However, the amount of choice and the sheer number options is what can lead to paralysis. You simply cannot decide on what is right for you due to you not being able to figure out what is the best choice! The other problem that arises then is when you do actually make a choice and it doesn’t work, or more importantly, you think it doesn’t work as good as it should. This then leads to dissatisfaction and regret.

Let me put this into perspective for the people following this forum. You now have the choice of light cycles to follow, blue light glasses to wear, fish smoothies to make, veg to ferment, temperatures at which to CT, hours to intermittent fast, oils to cook with and tests to take. These are all choices. You might CT at 55F, eat salmon, use ghee and fast for 14hrs. But you don’t lose weight and your health doesn’t improve. You then look and read further and realise that shrimp is better, you should cook with avocado oil and not ghee, CT at 45F is better and so is fasting for 16hrs. If this keeps happening, and you are provided with even more choice as you go along, you are on the road to paralysis and dissatisfaction. This is obviously completely counterproductive and is the antithesis of what you are trying to achieve. Contentment, happiness, positivity and self satisfaction are what you want with the aim of reducing the very thing that is likely causing your problems in the first place i.e. stress !

An analogy that can be used is that all these choices can make up your own orchestra. You can’t have all the best musicians in the world in the same orchestra. So lets say you choose a certain number of them. Being content and satisfied that you have the best you can get is first base. However, regardless of how good these musicians are, they don’t play well together unless you have the best conductor. The conductor in this case is your thought process. As long as you have the right thought process, the choices will work well for you. More importantly, even the most average musicians can play well together if the conductor is top class. That’s the key. Everything relates back to the central command centre, Epigenetics.

So create your own orchestra. Don’t worry too much about how big or how talented your orchestra is, just make sure you’ve got the best conductor.

“Beyond the walls of intelligence, life is definedâ€￾

2. Spot On! I may become a fan of yours yet. . .

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Paradox of Choice is one book everyone should read. The more choices we have the less satisfied we become. You just are not aware of it until your choices are limited.

4. Barry

Barry New Member

yes, but essentially with each blog post, you increase the choice

5. prAna303

prAna303 New Member

The thing i like about your posts is that you are doing it from the "other" side of optimal. You don´t need to be ill to open your mind, just a working brain that question everything get´s you a long way on the road. We all have things to deal with but with really different perspectives. Keep your thoughts coming...

6. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

I thought this was covered under "and you still need to think for yourself". We aren't all dumb idiots following a new God. The problems I have been witnessing arising with some of this appear all to be related to the person's state of Self rather than what is being offered on this forum.

7. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I like it Barry.

8. Dali Dula

Dali Dula Moderator

My orchestra can barely handle Mary had a little lamb, but we're working it.

9. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

increasing the choice, or uncovering more of the alternate terrain we can choose to travel? in other words, it seems the act of multiple choicings can either be a resolve to choose to completely re-steer the ship with the best navigation numbers available, or it could be continually haphazard stabs in the dark hoping it all magically adds up to something better. many choices/changes happen in each case, but not the same mental state. and fwiw, i've been doing the haphazard thing for too long.

10. debbiemikus

debbiemikus New Member

My orchestra is waiting to learn until the conductor becomes optimal, hard road it is!

11. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Just placed a hold on it at my library.

12. Inger

Inger Silver

Good points Barry. To me Jack has limited my choises greatly..lol

Now I go shopping.. directly to the fishcounter.. I know what to pick. It is very easy.

I know.. minimal fake light 24 / 7.

As cold as possible, what I feel comfortable with.

The adaption occurs.. slowly but it is fun. I start to crave MHS, oysters (sadly I get them not too often).. cold..

I thought my cold adaption is sooo slow, it barely happends. I do baby steps, swim in the river 3 to 10 minutes every day. River is around 50-52 degree F. I do facedunks most mornings for 3 minutes. Thats it. Have it cool in my appartement.

Now, these babysteps must have done something because yesterday my brothers were here and we all got in the river together. One could barely do 20 seconds and the other that already have done some CT could do only 2 minutes. They said it hurts! I feel no pain. I could not understand. Then I realized I must have adapted to some degree! I can swim for 7 minutes before I start to feel stiff. Ok I thought it was nothing because others here do 1 hour in icebath.. but in comparison to my strong and fit brothers I still did very well. I guess we need to not compare with others, just do as good as we can and enjoy. We need to enjoy the trip otherwise it makes no sense. Our thoughts. Exactly as you says Barry. The toughts are so very important. I often wonder about why someone struggles so bad and have these negative thoughts. Jacks concept is not hard to do. It is very easy. It is much about to letting go. Letting go of choises. Everything becomes so much more simple.

My brothers have not read Jack sites at all.. but they do so well!!! 2 of them use only candlelight at nights so far, and go early to sleep.. and eat lots of seafood and MHS when I make them one.. I am so proud of them. They do not know ANY of the science behind, but they intuitively know it is the right thing to do. They still have the mind of a child in some way even if they are 22 and 26 yo. Like.. "if we do not become like children, we can not enter heaven.." I think I know what this is about. It is huge. It is so beautiful. It makes one so happy and free.

Life is so much about letting go... very paradoxical. Who tries to save ones life will loose it... You need to experience this to know what it is about. It is magic for sure. :)

13. Barry

Barry New Member

Apart from choice , the message I am trying to get across relates to the other point that the author of the book makes .. Life is about creating your own fish bowl.

What I see happening here is that people are taking the advice and recommendations to the extreme. Most then realise that modern life, family, work and just general hassle means that implementing properly everything is actually more trouble than it's worth.

This is the issue I have with chasing "optimal" . You are more likely to reach paralysis and dissatisfaction if you continue the chase. So create your own fishbowl and chase contentment not perfection.

Again , just my 2 cents...

14. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I dont see it as extreme.......i see it as looking at life through our biochemistry. When you do that, what you thought was extreme because of socialization and culture then become bizarre. How you feel trumps what you are taught to believe is true. Once you get in tune with that it becomes pretty easy. Just my two cents.

15. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I have to agree with Inger's post. I don't see "chasing optimal" as having given me MORE choices, but rather, as having simplified my life. I am one who truly used to get paralyzed by choice. Now, I have a few things I know to shoot for: fish, cold, sunlight, darkness. Everything else is just kinda...background noise, now. I know I'm not perfect, and frankly, I'm not worried about ever BEING perfect. I spent a whole lot of years feeling really effing ****ty, and starting to feel GOOD now is more than enough to keep me motivated to keep "chasing optimal".

Optimal, to me, is like nirvana - it's something you strive to acheive and you'll probably never actually GET it, but that's ok because it made you a better (or healthier) person through the striving. It's a life's work. It's not a quick fix.

16. Barry

Barry New Member

That's okay for people like you and me Jack but I'm talking about the majority .

You really need to have an in depth understanding of something before you consider it "normal" .

Besides, i'm not doing everything you advise yet I'm more "optimal" than most. I've looked at life through biochemistry but not everything fits or suits. So I've created my own fish bowl.

17. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

People like 'you and me.' Um, definition please? LOL. My 8 and 11 year old see all of this as totally normal. I have given them the '3rd grade' explanation for all of this and they get it. They ask great questions, they make their own decisions and pretty much create their own fishbowls. They are not you or Jack. Or smarter than their age. But I think it's 'normal' because it fits our biology and they can access that instinctive knowledge.

18. Barry

Barry New Member

Thats good to hear, keep it up, they are the "untrained".... ;-)

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I think I understand what Barry is alluding too......I agree with him that all of our present biochemistry is a puzzle......so everyone has their own fishbowl.......but where he and I dont agree.......there is an epistemologic basis of how the laws of biochemistry apply to our species.......and that is universal for our species. I am trying to show you how it works.......and not how we think it works. I guess that is where Barry has his issue..........so I get that.

20. Linz

Linz Gold

Barry, Ten years ago nothing was extreme in my fishbowl. I lived a normal, happy life with a great deal more respect for the natural environment than most. Brought up with home grown meat and veg and plenty of holidays camping on the coast and catching fish to cook for breakfast, healthy athletic children who were not afraid to go out in the freezing cold in winter or race to be first into the sea on holiday, they even enjoyed eating raw shellfish on occasion and no home computer. I enjoyed an athletic, outdoor lifestyle. My doctor even asked me what I did to stay so healthy!

Chronic illness puts a whole new perspective on life. A few symptoms and a hospital visit sent me sliding down a horrible slippery slope 'but don't worry this can be kept under control if you keep taking the medicine'. Just what I wanted to hear so I didn't listen to the tiny voice in my own head. Seven years ago when it became obvious that the drugs were not even masking the problem effectively and were themselves causing metabolic havoc I took a leap of faith and changed my diet radically. Thanks to Jack I now know the real reason why it worked (probably why it happened in the first place), why some things went wrong on the way, and I am making much more progress. When you face a lifetime (probably short) of chronic disease cold baths and dim lights don't really seem so extreme - and the raw fish was already an occasional part of normal life.

Could I run 100k....... I'm going to need a lot of good science first. Curing ourselves by taking our natural lifestyle to more extreme than is usual is hugely preferential to any kind of medical intervention. Would I have taken that more extreme action before seeing the effect of chronic disease and artificial steroid chaos on myself? Ice bath or a few little white tablets?

Some of the players in my orchestra still need some serious retraining, and all our children urgently need proper scientific education on their natural envronment so they never need to go extremes to rebalance.