1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

That NDE

Discussion in 'The Cave' started by Michael, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

2. ljbprrfmof

ljbprrfmof New Member

A sceptic about afterlife, but not a dead sceptic. I believe this is one of those stories you chose to believe or not. This guy was trying to make the point for non-believers.

Whether you believe in the afterlife or a life force that survives the mortal body the Doctor's experience is facinating.

What does come next?

3. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

In point of fact, there are negative NDEs as well. That's kind of interesting. I guess it might show our consciousness, or perhaps I should say unconscious, might be as ready to accuse as soothe us.

4. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

As I recollect the story, the physician was not religious, at least prior to the NDE.

5. ljbprrfmof

ljbprrfmof New Member

I believe that is correct.

6. caroline

caroline Moderator

love the zen story at the end too

7. kathylu

kathylu Gold

I am happy for him. It must be wonderful to look forward to the certainty of a blissful eternity after death. I just see a long sleep.

8. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I see becoming worm fodder. Worms gotta eat, too...:)

9. RiverNeighbor

RiverNeighbor New Member

I hope I'm non-toxic enough for some worms to want to eat me when i die!

10. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

I've seen the other side. It was as my MIL was dying. It was totally completely unexpected. We had driven 2days to get to Boise to be with her at the end. I walked into her room and ... the walls disappeared and I "saw" a vast open area with clusters of people (lots and lots of people) standing around. They appeared as tapered columns of golden light. I looked to my left and saw one standing near my MIL's bed and I knew instantly it was her late husband.

My only comment at the time was a spontaneous "Wow there's a lot of people in this room!"

11. kathylu

kathylu Gold

As I said, I really hope so...

12. This is actually a common comment by people who are near death. I find it absolutely fascinating that you experienced this and you were amongst the living!

13. Michael

Michael Super Moderator

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/10/07/proof-of-heaven-a-doctor-s-experience-with-the-afterlife.html

It seems the experience, whatever it was, deepened his belief. AFAIK, that's not unusual.

What did seem special about this one was that "the neocortex, was inactivated". Later Jack dropped a possible explanation for that. So I guess that put us back to square one: neither more (nor less) remarkable than any other experience of the sort. In retrospect, I guess that would be so.

To be honest, although I did love the Zen story otherwise the columnist in Telegraph did rub me up the wrong way. I think he thinks he knows and I don't think he can. What the subject says sounds sentimental to the columnist, but then if it did have some content worth knowing, what's to say this man can transmit that ... or even that it can be put into words? When I read William James's the Varieties of Religious Experience I remember being somewhat amused by his recounting the story of a Nonconformist preacher shouting, "Woe to the bloody city of Lichfield!" because as he approached Lichfield he saw red everywhere. That really does sound like something organic. But ruling out every story that doesn't fit a preconceived view of things? There are some remarkable stories, for example, from remote Scottish islands of the "second sight" - someone might walk into a pub and see a man covered with water and fall into a faint; the man would be drowned shortly after.