1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tensegrity #5 and Thyroid / Hashi Question

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by River, Oct 5, 2014.

1. River

River Gold

Regarding this reference in the Tensegrity #5 blog:

"Only two things increase magnetic field strength, current and cold. The Cold Thermogenesis protocol is designed to increase the magnetism of your mitochondria so you transfer DHA and oxygen to your cell membranes simultaneously."

Most of us who have suffered through hypothyroidism have (or have had) a consistently lower basal body temperature than normal, and at times at my worst mine has been as low as 94 degrees. Even when optimized on desiccated thyroid replacement hormones so that my T4 and T3 were in range, my basal has always stayed about 97.3.

After reading Tensegrity #5 I'm wondering if this cooling of the body's temperature is a result of our brain trying to increase the magnetism of our mitochondria in order to overcome the shortcomings of the thyroid. As opposed to our thyroid just crapping out and not doing it's job of keeping us at a "normal" operating temperature of 98.6 - the brain is implementing it's own version of CT to keep our body as optimal as possible under these circumstances.

2. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Interesting question, River. The cooler body temp has to be somewhat helpful. What Dr. K has written about pregnenolone-steal syndrome also seems pertinent. Assuming you have enough LDL and T3 and vitamin A, the pregnenolone you manufacture gets stolen to make cortisol in high-stress situations. At the same time, reverse T3 is made to slow down the thyroid, which is the gas pedal for our metabolism. Slowing the metabolism is helpful to save energy for a crisis. Lower body temp is a result, but that lower temp could be quite helpful in reducing entropy in the body and increasing magnetism in the mitochondria.

3. cantweight

cantweight Gold

I absolutely agree with that, the body knows what its doing. Its us that get in the way. Not everything that is labeled as a "symptom" is bad.

Josh (Paleo Osteo) and caroline like this.
  4. River

River Gold

Thanks to both of you for your comments, what I posted above came to me as an epiphany of sorts so feedback is really appreciated as I navigate forwards.

@cantweight, just a quick update on my thyroid journey - I decided to accelerate the NDT medication withdrawal. I reduced my 10 year 120mg dose to 60mg for two weeks, and last Thursday went down to 30mg a day. So this is day 5 at only 30mg, fully supported by all the JK protocols.

I feel great! Just to make sure I'm not just flying high on my enthusiasm (of which I have always had an abundance of) I am taking my temperature throughout the day and my pulse. It is the same as it was when I was lab-optimized on NDT which is between 97.3 and 97.6. My pulse is slower and I think that's why I have more energy. In order to have enough NDT to make my free T3/T4 in mid-range my TSH was super suppressed and my pulse was usually about 76. It is now a cool, calm and collected 62 beats per minute at rest.

I'm so happy right now I can hardly contain myself. I've felt sorry for myself all these years since my Hashi diagnosis and the "here's a pill you'll be fine" attitude of the doctors. Everything has not been fine at all... Until I found this website.

5. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

My first foray in to dropping my thyroid wasn't successful... dropping by 1/2 my dose resulted in cystic acne. so I went back on my meds.... then a week later I dropped all my armour and my cycloset. waking up before my alarm was never easier.... looking fwd to seeing what my labs look like come december

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

The key to upping T3 is cold......and red cell mass. In the summer it is sunshine........it is a bit more complicated that I want to get into yet because we need to get into water deeper for you to understand why cold is a proxy for magnetism and low T3 is a proxy for loss of magnetism and high calcium efflux from neurons and they thyroid. Remember the brain has its own thyroid system exogenous to the thyroid.

mamadell, rlee314, Penny and 2 others like this.
  7. good thinking

8. ^^ this is gold non

9. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Thinking about T3 made me think about CT6, as well as this post by Peter -- http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/2012/07/measuring-thyroid-hormone-level-is-very.html

Basically, "T3 sensitivity" is also something that can be improved, and the body can get the same effect from a lower amount of T3. I've also heard about some correlation studies showing that long lived populations actually had low T3 levels.

This is where magnetism throws a wrench in my understanding of T3, mainly because I do not understand the magnetic properties of T3, which is likely due to the magnetic features of iodine and its interaction with water.

Anyway, I'd suspect that in a healthy (circadian-yoked) individual, T3 levels should naturally fall during the summer as cells get increased charge from sunlight, and then rise again as free sunlight photons decrease and the temperature gets colder. What I do not understand is whether T3 is a "building block" like NAD+, or if it just a side product of some underlying mechanism. And yup, I'm aware that pregnenolone needs T3 as a precursor for lots of downstream reactions, but then we get into the hormone sensitivity argument again -- do you need that much of the downstream hormones if you're really healthy?

If the previous paragraph is correct, then high T3 is not required when redox potential is maintained via large amounts of sunlight, which is why data of long-lived populations near to the equator show low T3 levels, while a long-lived population in say Finland would show high T3 levels if measured during the winter time (and only during the winter time => again, research data may not be very accurate if it doesn't take into account the environment).

Anyway, the main cause of confusion for me is that right now I'm taking for granted the statement "cold increases magnetism", without understand exactly how it does it in a biological context. Those confusions should resolve over time.

rlee314 and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  10. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Perhaps I should reread the blogs, but doesn't cold increase oxygen in tissues, and the oxygen fuels current which would increase magnetism?
    Oh, but 'magnetism is the father, not the child of current'. Guess it isn't so simple.

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

"Red cell mass" sounds like red cells bristling with lots of electrons.

Shijin13 likes this.
  12. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

As I read this @yewwei.tan I wonder if T3 should rise in summer due to carbs, and drop during winter. I ask this b/c last winter I had to keep dropping my Armour dosage - even though I had Hyposymptoms and Hyper labs. Intuitively If I go back to the my AHHH HAHHH momement almost 4 yrs ago - where Jack made a comment on Paul Jaminet's blog about T3 and cold (It was in this blog if you can get the comments to pull up)- as well as based upon my experience T3 should be high in summer to address excess Carbs, and as we move away from sunlight and carbs T3 will drop to support optimal DHA ketosis

nonchalant likes this.
  13. Valerie

Valerie New Member

I have been on T4 meds for about 15 years and with normal (balanced) thyroid blood work my body temperature had progressively dropped to 96.6 F. Within about 1-2 months of CT by body temperature rose to a stable 98.2 F. No adjustments to level of T4 meds made. Feel good now with no hyper symptoms either. Maybe at some point I will try to decrease

14. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

But then again, carbs provide less electrons than fat, and we're back to less charge implying a lower generated magnetic field from your mitochondria.

It looks like T3 is linked to magnetism. Now is it the T3 that increases magnetism, or magnetism that increases T3? That's definitely an important question when it comes to taking exogenous T3, and I have no answers right now :confused:

15. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

Yes. but what additional electrons do we have in summer that we don't have in winter? the Sun. So hasn't Jack said that magnetism increases in Cold? If so, then it would decrease in summer. so If there's less magnetism in summer, you'd need more T3. and vice versa in winter.... more magnetism in winter, less T3 to capture the magnetism....

16. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Haha, I'm running up against the limits of my knowledge as well, so here's a guess ;)

When I'm concerned about magnetism, I'm really referring to the magnetic field of a particular set of functional tissue. So it makes sense to say something like the magnetism of the blood vessels around the brain has weakened, thereby forcing higher blood pressure to the brain and a disease condition that could lead to a stroke.

In that sense, I'm not sure myself how the magnetic strength of various tissues changes through the seasons as the EMF spectrum and temperature we're subjected to changes.
    • Nervous system tissue seems to find a way to make use of all spectrums of light, though red light seems to be the most universally useful due to its effect on the EZ of water. Would more sun trump the effect of more cold on nervous system tissue? I've got no clue :eek:
    • Skin tissue is subject to the fluctuations in temperature, and is one of those tissues that actually can get really cold during winter time, and thus the magnetism enhancing effects of cold would directly affect this tissue (the rest of the tissues benefit from increased energy transferred via topological insulators, but that isn't a direct effect of cold)

I've tried hypothetically to think of T3 as a "blue light transporter" hormone. If that's true, you would then use T3 to "deal with the excess blue light" coming in summer time sunlight or from carbs. Again, total speculation on my part.

Then I still need to ask which tissues do T3 affect the most, and how does T3 modify the magnetic field of those tissues. Or does the causality work the other way round? That certain tissues demand extra T3 and thus the body increases it?

17. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Carbs provide less electrons, but the electrons provided are more energetic. Their spin is different due to the stronger sunlight.

Penny and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.
  18. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why does cold increase magnetism? Look up the Curie temp......that should solve any questions.

19. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

With magnetism.......or with cold what happens to electrons? They slow their speed from the speed of light. This has a massive effect on E=mc2. As speed is dropped energy drops by a factor of two. This changes the mass in question thermodynamically.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  20. Shijin13

Shijin13 Guest

So @Jack Kruse the Curie Temp directly effect the magnetic behavior of transition metals.....

But this is where the BOOM comes in....
    "Curie temperature in ferroelectric and piezoelectric materials[edit]
    In analogy to ferromagnetic and paramagnetic materials, the Curie Temperature can also used to describe the temperature where a material's spontaneous electric polarisation changes to induced electric polarisation, or vice versa.[44]

Electric polarisation is a result of aligned electric dipoles. Aligned electric dipoles are composites of positive and negative charges where all the dipoles are facing in one direction. The charges are separated from their stable placement in the particles and can occur spontaneously, from pressure or an applied electric field.[45]

Ferroelectric, dielectric (paraelectric) and piezoelectric materials have electric polarisation. In ferroelectric materials there is a spontaneous electric polarisation in the absence of an applied electric field.[44] In dielectric materials there is electric polarisation aligned only when an electric field is applied.[45] Piezoelectric materials have electric polarisation due to applied mechanical stress distorting the structure from pressure.[46]

T0 is the temperature where ferroelectric materials lose their spontaneous polarisation as a first or second order phase change occurs, that is the internal structure changes or the internal symmetry changes.[44] In certain cases T0 is equal to the Curie Temperature however the Curie Temperature can be 10 kelvin lower than T0.[47]

[​IMG]
    Figure 4 (Below T0) Ferroelectric polarisationP in an applied electric field E.
    [​IMG]
    Figure 5 (Above T0) Dielectric polarisation P in an applied electric field E.
    Below T0Above T0[48]
    Ferroelectric↔ Dielectric
    All ferroelectric materials are piezoelectric.[44]

Piezoelectric

An external force applies pressure on particles inside the material which affects the structure of the crystal lattice. Particles in a unit cell become unsymmetrical which allows a net polarisation from each particle. Symmetry would cancel the opposing charges out and there would be no net polarisation.[49] Below the transition temperature T0 displacement of electric charges causes polarisation. Above the transition temperature T0 the structure is cubic and symmetric, causing the material to become dielectric. Electric charges are also agitated and disordered causing the material to have no electric polarisation in the absence of an applied electric field.

Ferroelectric and Dielectric

Materials are only ferroelectric below their corresponding transition temperature T0.[44] Ferroelectric materials are all piezoelectric and therefore have a spontaneous electric polarisation as the structures are unsymmetrical.

Materials are only dielectric above their corresponding transition temperature T0.[50] Dielectric materials have no electric polarisation in the absence of an applied electric field. The electric dipoles are unaligned and have no net polarisation. In analogy to magnetic susceptibility, electric susceptibility only occurs above T0.

Ferroelectric materials when polarised are influenced under hysteresis (Figure 4); that is they are dependent on their past state as well as their current state. As an electric field is applied the dipoles are forced to align and polarisation is created, when the electric field is removed polarisation remains. The hysteresis loop depends on temperature and as a result as the temperature is increased and reaches T0 the two curves become one curve as shown in the dielectric polarisation (Figure 5).[51]

Relative Permittivity

A modified version of the Curie Weiss law applies to the dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity:[47][52]

[​IMG] "

And your BOOM is Water is dielectric. And Transition metals assist with the transfer in the ETC across the mitochondria at the cytochromes.
    T3 is a way to leverage different cytochromes within the PPP.

Penny and Josh (Paleo Osteo) like this.