1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Telomeres on Mark's Daily Apple

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by ealachan, May 30, 2012.

1. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Article from today's MDA discussing telomeres. Interesting stuff.

2. Jim

Jim New Member

Yes I wondered about that. I guess that when you are pushing the envelope, relying on the latest research of others, you are bound to travel down a few dead ends. Not to say that telomeres are a dead end for me just yet although Rosedale surely believes it.

3. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I didn't read it so much as him saying it was a "dead end"...just more that it's still very much a new science and as such they're not entirely sure WHAT it all means. I think I'd much rather have a doctor or researcher say "Look, here's a whole new thing to look at, even though we don't quite know what it all means yet", rather than someone saying "Yes, this is clearly the answer to life, the universe and everything", or even worse, someone saying "Meh...so what? Not worth studying."

4. JC2K

JC2K New Member

I always saw telomere length as more a portion of than the sole indicator of overall longevity. Even if your cells have the ability to reproduce without error indefinitely (without causing cancer, etc), that doesn't mean you won't get a heart attack or aneurysm or drive your car off a cliff after drinking too much... Long telomere's also don't mean you'll have a healthy long life...

5. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Exactly what I was thinking.

6. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I dont think you can listen to anyone right now but Elizabeth Blackburn.......and her opinion is a lot different.....and very much in line with my thoughts on telomerase. What happens to our telomeres due to lifestyle is very important. I am sure the science will evolve as time does but if you read what he is saying and implying it does not jive one bit with what many of the leaders in the anti aging field are doing and reporting. Someone mentioned TA-65 in the thread comments. TA 65 was old news 4 yrs ago. There are now newer treatments. I have several patients on TA 65 now and I am just following them.

Nobel Prize winning Dr. Blackburn is involved with the telomere testing company in Barcelona who is doing the most advanced testing on humans today. Right now telomere testing is used primarily by anti aging docs and by patients who are interesting in the cutting edge to see what if what they believe and use in treatments is really working or not.

7. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

So what's your explanation for why so many of us are testing way above average in telomere lengths while we don't feel healthy at all and our hormone panels are in the toilet?

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

It says that most of your problems are likely epigenetic and not genomic.....that is good because it means they are fixable. Good news......not bad news.

9. Jim

Jim New Member

Dang... I thought if my teleomeres were long enough I would be able to walk in front of a hail of bullets. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, this is still bleeding edge stuff and it is possible (likely?) that we'll be making a course correction or two. Still longer is better I suppose. At any rate I am trusting in Jack's interpretation of the studies since I haven't read them nor do I have the capability to assess them.

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

People with diet books to sell want you to think that is all you need to do.......its not. Look at internet forums. People fail on diet alone. When I talk telomeres I am telling people who are struggling with the diet and exercise those 'experts' say is best to test that on themselves. It shows you if what you currently believe is hurting you or not......I do not use it for anything more than that. It is a dogma check. If you are not getting results but your telomere length is OK......then you know you are fixable because you are not actively depleting your stem cells........This is a big issue for endurance athletes of the crazy cross fitter who go pedal to the metal with WOD. This is a test that should have a purpose.........its not a panacea.

11. ealachan

ealachan New Member

I think this is a great explanation. :)

12. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Like it!! B/c I'm with the "above average" TL folks when I expected to turn out like... 90 years old, lol.

So could you have the same disease in two people but in one case it is entirely genomic (not fixable) and in another case it is epigenetic and fixable given the right lifestyle changes? Like one's got the off-switch but the other one is missing it?

I was part of a huge genetic AN study years ago, they never cared to tell me any results, though. I think it did find that AN has a strong genetic component, though. They might not have been clued in about epigenetics and thrown it all into one. My sis is now showing initial symptoms of the AN monster :( Her kids don't eat normally, either. My niece eats just like I did at 4 years old... not good. My nephew (2) will keep eating and is gaining too much weight. They both were born like this. It is very sad to witness what is happening in my family with food, ever since my mother's AN it all went downhill from there on.

13. Souldanzer

Souldanzer Banned

Well, according to Dr K's answer it just means that my problems are caused by epigenetics rather than genetics. Which actually thrills me b/c that means I can feel better given the correct lifestyle changes. It means I can still have a healthy life b/c I wasn't depleting my stem cells. That would have been much harder to fix if at all.

Personally, I'm glad I did this test. It's a huge weight of my shoulders to be pretty sure I can fix stuff b/c everybody has been telling me I can't. Unless you need a situation assessment of your health overall, it's probably not necessary. Or if someone is in need of checking dogma... but then, if their problems turn out to be of epigenetic nature they might just get their dogma reinforced, lol.

14. JC2K

JC2K New Member

My take on it is you can't really take those numbers, you have to compare to yourself (so multiple tests). The 7 year old type thing is in comparison to the general population (much like blood lab test ranges). My problem with that is that it's measuring you in comparison to the general (unhealthy) population on a SAD. So great, I'm a 7 year old in comparison to
    the general population, but I'm still a mess. You really need to test against yourself and ignore the years pretty much. So first test, you're at X, you make dietary changes, etc. and second test you're at X-10 or so, so you can see an improvement. Or X+10, so you can see a deterioration, and know you need to make changes.

15. Birdy

Birdy New Member

well, at least if your hormones are screwed up, you still aren't crossfitting yourself to death.