1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tell us about your first time.

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by jeanie@truelongmont.com, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Ok, I'm so excited. I just can't hide it. I just took a cold cold bath, and I think I like it.

Just did my first bath, and I feel so accomplished I have to share. I have been taking it slow and following the RX for CT exactly. It's a lovely sunny day here in Colorado, and I was reading the forum, and just thought - you know, I think I'm ready to try a bath.

So, filled the tub with the water from the tap. Squeezed into the old compression running pants and compression top. Took temp of water (47 degrees). Got podcasts playing to distract. Started stopwatch. My goal was 2 mins.

I put limbs on all 4 quadrants of my big garden tub, so I could lower my torso and keep feet hands out. Had a moment of panic, and then sat down.

HOLLLLLYMOTHERFUR*$*##POOOOOOO. That was the first 5 seconds. Then 10 came and it was better. Then 20 and I thought, I can do this!! As I moved, I noted that was no good. I made some adjustments, started breathing, started listening to the podcasts. . . and voila. My new goal of 10 mins passed. I did it! Done. Skin got to 60. I'm happy with that for first time.

Some redishness, not as much as with icing - but I was only there for 10 mins and just doing it gave me a sense of accomplishment.

Now I'm done, dressed and ready to go to work.

Lower legs itch.

sick feeling to my stomach.

Middle of back still feels heated up (I am wishfully thinking it's my patch o BAT fired up to get the WAT).

Accomplishment smile - full wattage.

2. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Woohoo! That's much better than my first time - I shook the first 10 minutes. Congrats!

3. Kirstin

Kirstin New Member

Yay!! I've yet to do full immersion, but working my way up slowly! Great job :)

4. finnite@dccnet.com

finnite@dccnet.com New Member

I channeled a broker after a bad trading day, didn`t know I knew those words! my feet ached (my water is about 45F out of the tap) and I lasted 22 minutes but couldn`t feel my legs when I towelled off. next day I got me some neoprene socks and the chillin is fine!

5. Susan M.

Susan M. New Member

Did a week's worth of face dunks then went right to the tub. My tap water comes out at around 48 degrees to 50 degrees. First time and ever since - I just finished #12 - I do the Croak Soak method. I sit in the empty tub and let a small amount of water to get my butt wet then crank it up full blast cold. It ends up anywhere from 50 to 55 after the tub fills. The first time I only got the water up to my tummy, now it is all the way up above my waist. I stayed in 40 minutes the first time and now I am up to 50-60 minutes. My toes on my right foot get numb about ten minutes after I get out. I don't think it is getting any easier yet, but I am not ready to give up any time soon. I do feel great with tons of energy for hours after. Love that part! I feel a bit like a masochist though. I use the neoprene booties so the spray from the faucet doesn't splash on my feet while the tub is filling up.

I sure don't think I will ever be able to just pop my butt down into an already full tub. Croak soak only for this old girl. :)

6. Kpcst

Kpcst Silver

Tap water in here is like 70 degrees! I have to throw in 40 lbs of ice to get into the 50s. I'm buying an ice machine! Been wanting one anyways.....

KP

7. dkenward@yahoo.com

dkenward@yahoo.com New Member

I've been thinking about that, too. If you do it, please report back!

8. Adria

Adria New Member

Way to go Cavemam !! I'm doing tubs too and trying to up the time. Little shivering still so I'm going slow. My tap water is 50 degrees and that feels reeaaly COLD for me!

9. Adriana

Adriana New Member

I did my fiirst immersion after a week of ice packs with massage. Forgot the compression suit so was stark naked. Laid in empty jetted tub with arms and legs raised and turned on cold water which is fed from a 700' deep well. Don't know the temp, but it was coooold! However the slow fill rate of my tub made it tolerable. I stopped filling once the water covered my belly, sparing the girls. Then I turned on the jets, holy mother of God! My crotch ached from the cold; then suddenly my skin started to feel warm. It was truly strange. I stayed in for about 10 minutes. Had a few minor little shivers. Then dried off, skin was a nice bright pink but not "cherry red". Put on a loose bathrobe and allowed my body to gradually warm up before getting completely dressed. That night I had the soundest sleep I have had in a month.

10. caroline

caroline Moderator

Congratulations on your first time!! It really isn't nearly as bad as one would think and you feel great afterwards!

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

Me too. I can't imagine jumping into a full tub of ice water -Brrrrrrrr

12. sk1nny_f4t

sk1nny_f4t New Member

I have been doing spot icing for an hour a day for a few weeks now, I did half an ice bath in the tub last week. I say half because once I realized how much water it would take to get it above my waist I realized it wasn't feasible for daily soaks.

So last night I went to home depot and picked up a 45gal trash can for soaks in the basement. It has an attached lid so my hope is to just add some ice and keep water in it with the lid closed. I made a block of ice in an empty 5lb bucket of protein, threw that in and the water stayed below 49 degrees for the 30 minutes I was in. Filling it up 2/3rds full and crouching down I was able to submerge to just below chest level.

It's been over an hour now that I have been out and my feet are just getting back to normal, they were feeling half-asleep. I am going to soak again tonight, if the feet keep feeling this way I will be getting a pair of booties like some of you wear.

13. DarleenMB

DarleenMB Silver

Ready for my next step. I have NOT done the face dunk every single day but on days I don't I take a tepid shower followed with a few seconds of COLD. brrr. BUT I have also turned the thermostat down so it's about 62 in the house unless the sun is really shining in which case it might get to 70 in the living room.

This morning's face dunk left me really surprised. I did 3 dunks totally 2 minutes and could have continued. So I think I'm ready for the compression shirt and bagged ice. I have started filling a 2 gallon baggie with ice cubes in preparation. This part I will follow precisely... 5 minutes at a time until I"m up to 60 minutes. Then off with the shirt and ice on bare skin until I'm ready for the tub.

14. JeffieJoe

JeffieJoe New Member

My big toes get numb too after the bath. Interesting.

15. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

I jumpred in to a tub full of ice water and made it 5 minutes my first time as my wife watched and laughed hysterically..........3 months later she was not laughing. I was laughing all the way to 133 lbs weight loss as she picked her jaw off the ground.

16. debbie98055

debbie98055 New Member

I did a few face dunks and even after just those, I noticed that I wasn't complaining about the cold like everyone else at work. So I thought I should try hopping in the tub up to my belly button. The water was 50 degrees coming out of the tap, so no ice. I just plopped in and I remember thinking that rather than cold, I felt pain! I was only in for 4 minutes but felt so much energy afterward, so now I'm addicted :). Only up to 20 minutes so far (10 days later). But I'm still only submerging to a couple of inches above the belly button. I have to use ice packs on the torso.

17. Susan M.

Susan M. New Member

Yeah. I can only go to just where my breast would touch the water. I wear a sports bra and it really helps keep me focused on just how high the water is getting (don't want a wet bra!). I ice my upper arms with the maxi-ice sheets from Walmart. I use large rubber bands to hold them on. They seem to do the trick, because an hour later my arms are a nice cherry red.

merge either.

18. debbie98055

debbie98055 New Member

Finally dunked upper half of body tonight, 5 minutes. It was not bad after a few seconds, but I was NOT happy after getting out of the tub, very cold. I know I need to do it, I have funky nervy stuff in my left shoulder and back. Even the five minutes helped with that :).

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

That is great to hear - I thought maybe you were made of sterner stuff than the rest of Us!! You must keep your wife very entertained!!

20. agatha

agatha New Member

Hello all you cold water crazies,

I didn't read the protocol very carefully and just started with the croak soaks three weeks ago. A few days later I decided it would be easier just to get into the full tub (54degrees) to get the agony of the first few moments over with quickly - this resulted in mega shivering. Now I look forward to getting in and I have stopped shivering- I wear a woolly hat and wet suit gloves - sexy.

I know I must have cold adapted somewhat as have now been in the ocean twice here in the UK (about 50 degrees)- I surprised DH - he couldn't get further than paddling and described it as 'achingly cold' but for me it was no problem - felt quite pleasant. It was fun seeing him sitting on the beach with an 'I can't believe what I'm seeing' expression on his face while he watched me swim!