1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tallow for the skin

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Rachelle, Feb 8, 2013.

1. I always get some fat rendered off the bones when I roast them in prep for my broth. I took some tonight and rubbed it on my leg to see how it would feel after it was absorbed. I don't like a greasy feeling on my skin. It actually felt pretty good. So I am going to try and get a concoction pulled together this week with some nice smelling oils. I have practically every essential oil in my cupboard. Thanks for the post!

2. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

when you render tallow or lard there is no smell.

3. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

Interesting, there was a distinct smell when I rendered both tallow and lard here (reportedly pastured raised animals).

4. I just made some with a little lavender oil and something called Peace & Calming oil. It smells good. I will try it after it chills down and has that buttery feeling to it.

5. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

For 3 days now I have pried off a small chunk of tallow from the jar in the fridge (I rendered it a year ago) and rubbed it on my hand with the dermatitis/eczema/whatever rash. I like the effect. I first dunk my hand in water with sea salt, epsom salts, and seaweed, let the back of my hand air dry, and then rub on the tallow. I used to do this several times a day, using olive oil after the dunk. And if I am diligent, my rash stays away. But the tallow is now allowing me to just treat my hand once/day, with no itching later in the day. I can barely tell the difference now in the skin of both hands!

Thanks so much, Rachelle, for suggesting this!

6. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I made the tallow and added essential oils. It stunk when I was making it (definitely grass fed bones) and it stunk when it was finished. I wish I could afford to add an entire bottle of lavender oil! In any case, the smell is mostly gone with the addition of lavender and lemon oils. I have been using it on my feet (it has a beautiful velvety consistency that I love - it's like what I imagine super expensive lotions to be like) and my feet have never been so baby soft (and that's with going most of the time barefoot, too!).

7. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

When I rendered my tallow and lard it did not stink much when done. I don't get it.

Anyway, I have also thought about adding some CoQ10 to the mixture next time I make it. What do you think? I hear it is good for skin.