1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Tallow for the skin

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by Rachelle, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

Thought this might be the place to post my favorite skin softener. No other oil makes my skin come alive.

I use grass-fed beef tallow, real olive oil, and essential oils. I noticed a difference in my skin the moment I used it on my rough dry hands. Honestly, if all else fails try it. Oh and it is cheap to make.

2. Sharon

Sharon New Member

There is also a company that makes this ...
    vintagetradition.com
    Nice stuff but pricey.
    Cheaper to make :)

3. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

haha...that is where I got the idea. Better than paying $14 for 2 ounces. That wouldn't last me long.

4. diane

diane Gold

Where do you get beef tallow?

5. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

You can order at Wellness Meats.

6. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

What's your "recipe" for this? Sounds like something I would like to try.

Thanks

7. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

@fitness

This recipe can be adjusted but I used some tallow, a really good olive, and lemongrass oil in my kitcheAid mixer. I think it is the best moisturizer ever and it's really cheap when you can make your own tallow or like me buy it at the farmer's market.

8. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

You can often get beef fat for free at the grocery store, just ask. And if they sell grass-fed beef, that would be spectacular.
    Thanks for the idea, Rachelle, I'll have to try it.

9. diane

diane Gold

10. Zorica Vuletic

Zorica Vuletic New Member

Sweet! They would probably look at you funny and wrinkle their nose...you'd be laughing at the steal. hehe.

11. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Wonderful idea. Two questions: 1) can you use the fat that emerges on the top of home made bone broth after it's put in the fridge? 2) could you use duck fat? Thanks!

12. Coriander

Coriander Silver

I would Lauren, but first I'd render it. Once rendered, it will keep for a long time, and you don't need to refridgerate.
    Scoop the fat off the broth (easier when it's cooled down), then slowly simmer the fat in a pan over a low flame. Just the same as making ghee; any solids will fall to the bottom, the water evaporates, and you're left with clear fat. Pour it into a jar, and it will become quite solid when cool.

You probably already know that, but I thought it might be useful info for someone else.

13. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Thank you. And, no, I did NOT already know that. I'm going to give it a try!

14. Rachelle

Rachelle New Member

@KiwiLauren..Here is a good site I used when I rendered my beef fat. She gives very good advice. http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2012/02/how-to-render-beef-tallow.html

I wanted to say also that those who live in dry climates would need to spray water on body first before applying any moisturizers. Nothing happens when there is no humidity to absorb cream. I really dislike dry climates and winters that are dry. Have always felt better in humid climates.

Any other ideas?

15. ok, so tallow is one oil I've not incorporated into my beauty stuff! R - did you filter it? One of my problems is the smell during processing - and it makes such a mess to cook with. I did a batch last summer - but haven't been inspired to go that route again, although for creams etc I might consider it.

16. Inger

Inger Silver

I am going to ty this tonight as my expensive argan oil have to be day moisturizer only as it is quite expensive.. Seaweed water on skin, on the top tallow.. yay. I am curious if all my wrinkles are gone in the morning. :)
    I will be reporting..

17. also if any of you actually cook with the tallow, how do you clean it up?!? That was the biggie that I noticed - it seemed to fly all over and was super hard and I ended up spending way more time cleaning my kitchen that I was comfy with.

Of course, that IS the function of my grill/oven these days. I do almost all my "grease spatter" stuff in oven (self cleaning cycle to the rescue!) or grill. The only people the grill bothers are the neighbors. . .

18. diane

diane Gold

19. Lyndra

Lyndra Gold

I've done both the wet and dry methods of rendering. I found the wet method to be more foolproof in terms of avoiding burning. I also found grinding up the fat first to be far more effective than just dicing, as it melts at a more uniform pace when ground. One bit of advice - don't do this if you aren't feeling good as the smell may really get to you. I did it the day after being glutened when I was sick to my stomach and I now have unhappy memories associated with lard.

20. I 2nd the bad smell. I did it with the crockpot on the back patio so only the neighbors had to smell it!