1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

talking to teachers about fitness

Discussion in 'Optimal Kids' started by KiwiLauren, Mar 27, 2012.

1. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

Does anyone have specific ideas or experience about talking with teachers (my children are 11 and 7) about fitness? Both my kids are being told that 'cross country' training is beginning (their version of daily PE right now), with my 11 year old having to do long runs daily, building up to a several mile course in a couple of months. I am aware of the information about chronic cardio increasing cortisol and decreasing telomere length, but I've not seen anything specific to children. New Zealand has this huge anti-obesity thing going right now... worried we're going to end up like the US!... and keeping kids 'active' is huge. My kids play sports, walk/scooter to school, walk the dog, etc. But I'm concerned about the move toward 'cross country' running. Thoughts?

2. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Just saw this...I feel your pain, my kids are very active. I also feel that talking to your children's teachers about this is a good idea, so long as you are prepared to do a ton of educating. In my experience most people do not know what Paleo is let alone telomeres...you may not change their minds all at once so you have to be prepared for that. If you really don't want your kids participating in it, you could try getting your doctor on board and then just have him/her not sign off on this activity for them (maybe discuss with your children's doc first). I do though think that education is key and most teachers are willing to at least listen to what you have to say. They are your children, and it's your right to question what's being asked of them...