1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Josh

Josh Gold

Of course it might have just been Michael Jackson videos after 10pm, especially "ABC".....

2. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Sleep re-normalised after one day of avoid coffee. Looks like no java for now :(

---
    Been loving the new 'Animals as Leaders' album 'Joy of Motion'. One of those band whose songs don't seem that impressive at first, but get better and better the more you listen

'Para Mexer' has been on infinite loop for the last 3 hours now :cool:

3. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

wine destroys my sleep..........^^^^that video music is too busy for my meditation.

4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hmm, haven't had wine for quite some time now either. I don't use it in cooking either. If I have wine again, I'm going to start with using it in a sauce, which should remove 90% of the alcohol (assuming that alcohol is the troublesome component in there for me).

Busy music for busy minds -- my mind is jumping all over the place right now working on some server API definitions along with the integration and unit testing of that code.

I like to turn on some 'General Fuzz' when I want to wind down (http://generalfuzz.net/)

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew - were you drinking bulletproof coffee?
    I was having 1-2 Aldi capsules and that was making me crazy. I have no problem with nespresso pods tho

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

No, definitely not the bulletproof stuff, and I have yet to try that coffee. I'm pretty sure that it's something in the coffee that caused the effect though, since I don't lose sleep if I take plain old caffeine (pills).

Confession: once I started making some decent cash, I decided that life's too short for bad coffee :p My favorite go-to coffees when I still drank them frequently were the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Djimmah beans. The former is a really fruity brew, and the latter is a really strong and hearty brew.

I got them from this place down in St Kilda:
    - http://www.coffeecompany.com.au/coffee/single-origin/ethiopian-yirgacheffe/
    - http://www.coffeecompany.com.au/coffee/single-origin/ethiopian-d-jimmah_5/

===

Had some carbs yesterday actual. Maybe 30-40g of sugar in a single sitting, then rode back home from the city (30 min bike ride), and ketones were 0.8mM once I got back. So obviously I have the ability to buffer a small amount of carbs with some basic exercise. One of these days I should see what happens to ketones when I actually get on a meal with 100+g of carbs, and how long I take to get back into full on ketosis.

7. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I had yirgacheffe regularly in my favourite cafe, moved on to Peruvian now, very chocolate after finish. I limit myself to only one a day and never in the evening, seems to work. Wine is pretty much a no no, it disturbs my sleep way too much.

8. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Still getting pretty cold hands after exposure to anything below 15C / 59F , and they still don't warm up afterward ...

The rest of my body is warm, but my hands can sometimes get purplish due to the blood shunting. This is really the last nagging issue for me, and the one that I've had for as long as a remember (at least since I was 12), so it's probably going to take awhile to fix.

Protein refeeds still going well, ate lots of meat yesterday, then ended up sleeping 9hours, and waking up with full memory of 3 dreams while feeling great.

---
    Music

'Beats Antique' released their new album this week -- https://beatsantique.bandcamp.com/

Electronic Gypsy music leaves me 'Jumpin'

9. Inger

Inger Silver

to be on the computer can make my hands cold... I blame the computer ;)

10. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

That's true :oops: I've done the measurements, and the ELF magnetic field right below my keyboard is horrible. I've just got a wired external keyboard though to put some distance between, so I'm slowly making the transition -- years of adjusting to the compact design of a laptop have given me a crutch, whereby I type and navigate around my codebase the fastest when I have muscle memory of my keys.

Another interesting note is that I get cold hands almost exclusively between 10am to around 8pm now, which coincides with the current photoperiod (sunrise at 7am, sunset just after 7pm). After 8pm and before 10am, my hands can actually stay decently warm, and those are the coldest times of the day too ...

I always tolerate cold the best in the morning, which should come as no surprise, since I've been chemically reduced for 8 hours (sleep) before that. The nighttime increase in feelings of warmth probably also has something to do with the overall dimming of light. Anyway, this is something I should continue to monitor as the days get shorter.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Yewwei, have you read the Reynaud's thread here?

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Yup, and I've been trying my best to follow the advice from this particular comment: http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/raynaud-thread.4235/page-2#post-60691

I also had an issue with Iron deficiency which Jack mentioned in that thread as well, which is mostly fixed today.

I should also say that I'm not feeling particularly cold, and don't really shiver in cold weather, and definitely don't shiver in a cold tub (skin gets all pink). So for now, I'm hoping that with my continual signs of improvement, my hands will eventually improve over time.

13. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

So I've been drinking a cup of coffee for the last 2 days, and just had another cup. No compromise in gut function, skin quality, energy levels, nor sleep so far, but I'll see if today shows a different story.

Looks like 1 more week on the current strategy helped me handle coffee much better. Good to know that I can a cup of Java at least once a week. Of course, that's a good diagnostic tool now -- inability to handle coffee means something is going wrong.

(sidenote: I forgot just how much coffee shuts down the appetite -- one cup with a tablespoon of butter in the morning and I can last until dinner time without eating anything else)

Current Favorite Song

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Wow yew ..... your appetite shuts down pretty easy! I seem to need lots more fat than that!

15. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hehe, I'm pretty it's the coffee doing it's magic. I get the appetite suppression even if I drink it black.

Speaking of coffee, after 4 days of coffee drinking, I'm finally starting to see negative effects. Today my cold tolerance was markedly worse, leaving me actually feeling cold at an ambient temperature of only around 17C / 63F (while wearing a t-shirt). Yesterday was roughly the same temp but I was feeling just fine. Sleep was good last night too. Other than that, general energy, libido, etc ... all were still as per optimal.

Going to give coffee a break for a week, then maybe allow myself 1-2 cups a week just for hedonism sake (being wary of any possible side effects of course).

Still, I went from 1 cup of coffee causing me to lose sleep last week, to being able to handle 3 consecutive days without any negative side effects, so obviously things are moving in the right direction.

16. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew .... this is interesting .....you think you are feeling the cold more because of coffee? I hadn't even thought of that!
    I have been feeling more cool than I should ......one day at the ocean it was 25 and the water was 21 and I started shivering....
    I am going to give that more thought! Sometimes it is so hard to give up coffee and other times I could care less!

17. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

It's definitely the coffee, and I'm experiencing a milder version of the exact symptoms described in my prior post in late February -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/take-it-slow.9428/page-4#post-111440

All of those symptoms started going away once I started the Molybdenum and Manganese supplementation, and only started to return a little bit today, likely due to the Xanthines found in coffee. If you believe what Josh has said many times, then molybdenum deficiency is really common. For me, just turns out that coffee is a definite trigger.

You could probably give coffee avoidance a shot. And maybe even give Molybdenum supplementation a shot at the appropriate dosages (500-1000mcg doses 2 to 3 times a day, up to a max of 3mg a day)

18. Christos

Christos New Member

Great journal so far Yew. I was wondering how have you been measuring the level in which you are in ketosis. Where did you buy the measuring device for this? Are you ever going to get an under sink RO unit installed, looking into getting one, perhaps similar to what Josh has? How's the book going, I think I'll read that next holidays? I'm from Adelaide BTW.

19. Inger

Inger Silver

I guess coffee should be avoided by anyone that has a dehydration issue, or hormone issues.. or inflammation
    I have been on and off.. but I quit yesterday again because I am sure it does not fit in my current situation ! Our body will tell ;)

Yew, have you realized that stuff tastes sweeter at times, and have you come to any connection? I have not had 100% chocolate in some time and a few days ago I bought me some. It is a very nice organic pure chocolate from France.
    Weird is, it now tastes so sweet to me, I mean really sweet! Like the 90% chocolate used to taste.. i cannot believe it.. it is almost too sweet...?! tastes like sugar in my mouth

20. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hello Adelaide!

I've got an Optium blood ketone monitor -- http://myfreestyle.com.au/products/freestyle-optium-blood-glucose-monitoring-system/. For some reason I can't find one which doesn't have a package deal (with 100 glucose test strips), cheapest is this seller on ebay -- http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40-Compa...Blood-Glucose-Monitor-No-Coding-/150984153091. Ketone strips are nowhere near cheap. Amcal has the cheapest I've found so far -- http://www.amcal.com.au/en/amcal/freestyle-optium-blood-ketone---10-strips-093815991137 , and I've probably spent $200+ to get all the testing information so far.

I'm not a home owner, so I guess I'll to resort to portable RO units for now o_O.

Hmm, I can't say for sure. I've never had a sweet tooth, nor a liking for sweet foods in general. I have always loved starch though (the Chinese would call you a "Rice Bucket"), and always thought that even "bland" crackers were tasty enough to be even plain. So I guess I'm not the right guy to ask :rolleyes:, even the raw cacao nibs that I have right now taste decently "sweet" to me -- and I'm comparing that to the D-ribose I've got at the moment, which is basically sugar-sweet.

I do notice though that as my redox potential has improved over the last few months, things taste more "salty". I've always been able to tolerate (and usually enjoy) really salty foods that most people can't, like overly-salty smoked salmon or charcuterie just in a plain state, and of course, I love some salted, waxed duck every Chinese New Year. I also remember crushing every Vegemite challenge I've been suckered into ...

More accurately, I now don't need to, and don't have much desire to add salt to meat to make it taste meaty. Of course meat still tastes better with some added salt, but not that much better like it did in the past. Maybe the glutamate receptors on my tongue are getting more sensitive :p