1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Inger

Inger Silver

Yew, that was one beautiful song from Nightwish..... innocence. That must be what makes kids so amazing to be with.

Do you take PQQ too? AFAI recall it should help our mitochondria too..

I am kind of going the other way regarding supps. I try some out here and there but in the end I just feel it makes it all more complicated lol too complicated for this girl! To balance out you need the second supp and the third and so it goes on..ha!
    I do take the PQQ when I remember and some magnesium here and there etc but I am not good at supps at all. They make me confused... and the never ending list of supps some here take makes me scared! :confused: Maybe it works when one really knows what to take. But it seems like roulette to me lol

I am excited to see how it works out for you :)

2. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Come to think of it, I haven't been around kids in more than a year now :confused: Dogs are just as good for that feel-good innocence right .....

Anyway sticking with the upbeat tone, I also like this oldie from 'Iona' called 'Treasure' (where your treasure is, there is your heart .....)

---

No lyrics in this one, but 'Whispering A Prayer' by Steve Vai is always a favourite to calm down and put things in perspective

---

I share the same sentiment regarding supplements. Especially because I don't understand all the mechanisms by which some of them work.

That said, PQQ should have been one of those that I ordered. I missed it this time round, so now, I'm not taking it right now, but it would surely be useful. Thanks for the good reminder.

---

Fortunately, most of the supplements on the Mitochondrial Rx have basically no side effects.

- CoQ10 you basically want supra-phisiological amounts of
    - Taurine and Acetyl-L Cartine are safe within the doses recommended
    - D-ribose is another one of those "unlimited amounts" supplement

3. sooperb

sooperb New Member

That second vid reminds me a bit of whale sounds :)

I have a box full of supplements, I chop and change quite a lot. I suspect the one I tried that had quite a good effect was D-Ribose. I stopped taking it but I may restart, I feel I had more energy on that. I think ultimately I will whittle them down to just a few such as Vit D3, magnesium, N acetyl L cysteine, COQ10 Vit. K2 and possibly Taurine. I think really if you can adjust your diet to get the optimum intake then you shouldn't need supplements. Just as long as the food source is optimal in terms of quality.

I'm a convert, I've just bought that track, love it :) Thanks for sharing Yew

4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Glad you liked it :D

---

Random HRV testing is looking good. Almost all of my tests over the last 4 days have looked like this: (Well in the green)

[​IMG]

---

Just gave a quick first-pass read of EE13. Despite lots of grammatical errors, this blog makes a ton of sense, and very decisively describes why Protons are so important, and how Water and Collagen (and to a certain extent, DHA) work together to make this energy for free.

I've made some initial notes here: http://tanyewwei.com/notes/jk-ee13-water-chemistry

Some misc "a-ha" moments:

- "Hydronium Ions can be stored indefinitely" -- I always wondered what concretely was the thing that "captured energy for later use", I now have my answer
    - EMF and the disruption of the EZ producing ROS -- page 97 of Pollack's 'Fourth Phase of Water' talks exactly about this, and the mechanism is clearly described in that chapter and other chapters of the book

Last miscellaneous point, as a programmer, I am reminded everything that Simple things are always difficult to accomplish. Why? Because you can't afford to make a single mistake -- try to flip an egg in a frying pan, you have to accomplish it with a single, smooth, back-forth motion. Mess it up a little, and you end up either with egg all over your clothes, or an unflipped egg. Flipping the egg depends on you executing a single, specific action correctly, with little room for error. The only way of learning to flip the egg is to try and try and try again, until you've nailed just the right cues, just the right motion given your arm strength and limb length, and the right knowledge of your cooking surface to accomplish the egg flip. That is Spretzatturra.

Now imagine having to coordinate millions of "egg flips" simultaneously -- welcome to my world of Distributed Software Systems.

Now imagine having to coordinate trillions upon trillions upon trillions of "egg flips" -- welcome to Mother Nature and the Quantum Cell.

Thank God nature did all the hard work of experimentation for us, and gave us the 3-legged stool.

(Obligatory egg flipping mastery video:
    )

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  5. Jude

Jude Gold

Stayed up late and read EE13.....read your notes as well..thanks......hope I remember all this in the am!

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hope that staying up late didn't cause you any harm! :eek:
    ---

Supplementation seems to be going well. All the good signs of improving Redox are still there.

Current bodyweight is hovering at 82.2kg to 82.8kg for the last 5 days.

Also started doing more Cold exposure now that the mornings get down into the lower teens (in Celsius, or about 52F to 59F). Got a few buckets of water outside that I dump over myself while doing some stretching in the garden first thing in the morning.

I'm definitely not feeling cold, and I'm definitely not shivering at all, and I'm definitely pumping out some good body heat after the fact, but my hands still aren't warming up nicely after any sort of cold exposure. Well, at least I have a metric for success -- warm hands after CT likely means that my health status is pretty robust.

---
    Song of The Day
    'Binge and Grab' by Buckethead

7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Didn't have a good night of sleep last night. Went to bed by 10pm, woke up at 3am, and.

Two main mistakes:

(1) I only ate <1000kcal through the day, in a single meal at around 11am. Only chance to get dinner was going to be too close to bedtime for comfort, so I decided to give not eating a shot. Went to bed feeling a little hungry and woke up at 3am hungry. If I find myself in this scenario again, I'm eating some fat before heading to bed.

(2) Work stress was higher than usual today. Not good. I must have a 8pm cutoff whereby I say no to any additional work-related activities and let the mind settle.

Anyway, had a double dose of Liposomal Glutathione, a dose of Liposomal Vit C, some of the usual supps, and some stewed pork with beef bone broth for breakfast to hopefully reset everything to normal.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  8. Josh

Josh Gold

If I go past 8pm, I do not sleep well either. I guess it must be too late to signal melatonin production, etc..

9. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Slept 10 hours last night!

Also, had 2 tablespoons of MCT oil this morning after some CT outside. Definitely have none of the symptoms described in this post -- http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/take-it-slow.9428/page-4#post-111440 , with the exception of the cold hands, which I'm expecting to still persist anyway (until I get my mitochondria back up to optimal). In any case, about 2 weeks in, the Molybdenum and Manganese supplementation is obviously working!

---
    Song of the Day

Reprise (ふたたび) by Joe Hisaishi (久石譲). 'Spirited Away' must be my favourite animated film ever. Watched it when is came out in 2001, and just watched it again last night. I have the same feelings I had back then (when I was 10)

10. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I've been handling cocoa better and better over the last week, and today, I decided on an experiment and had my first cup of coffee in months. So far so major symptoms yet after 3 hours, though I am feeling more wired than usual. At my worst, I'd get finger rashes after a cup of coffee, so fingers crossed that this one experiment isn't going to lead to too much.

But things have been going well so far, and I can now also check butter off the list of past food sensitivities. No issues with MCT oil for the last week as well despite high doses (up to 60g a day). Redox potential is definitely getting better.

The supplementation list is getting pretty long though. In addition to those from my previous posts, I've added:
    • PQQ => 20mg a day
    • ECCg => 400mg a day
    I've also got some Methyl-Folate and Lithium sitting around after seeing some of my SNP results. Those supplements may warrant an experiment some time pretty soon. Currently I'm thinking of starting on something like 5mg of Lithium a day and seeing what happens after 3 weeks.

---

In terms of exercise, it's just been hitting the weights room 3 times a week, the occasional bike ride, and then daily stretching and handstand practice.

In terms of diet, I've actually been pushing a more protein. I'm getting between 300-400g raw weight a day of a protein source for 5 days of the week, which should translate to a protein intake of roughly 100-120g a day (up to 1.5 * BodyweightKG). Nowadays all the protein is consumed at dinner time, within the 4-6pm window. I only eat fat through the rest of the day, which typically means one breakfast meal. As a measure of food quantity, calories on these days are about 1700-2000kcal.

Then 2 days of the week (always workout days), I'm taking one meal to basically eat as much of a lean protein as I want. Example: Last Saturday was about 1kg of pork shoulder cooked together with a couple of pork trotters :D. The meal structure follows what I wrote in the previous paragraph. Calories on such days are still only around the 2000-2400kcal range, with calories up until dinner being only around 400-800kcal, and then dinner being the balance.

I always have my lowest weigh-ins after a high-protein day like this. Thirst increases a lot after such a meal, and I usually end up drinking 3L of water post dinner. I'm not sure if this is a good sign -- that the body is trying to retain extra water.

Current weight is around 81.7kg to 82.3kg (around 180lbs), and waist is around 82cm (32.2 inches). Keep in mind that I'm around 189cm / 6'3''.

So weight is down about a pound since my last update on 14-Mar (13 days ago). The interesting thing is that it was stuck for 3 weeks in the 82.2-83.0kg range despite the same amount of calories consumed as at present. Weight only started to drop (and drop fast) on the 22nd of March, when I actively stopped protein intake in the morning, and actively restricted fat intake in the evening. Today's weigh-in was at 81.7kg, so I'm expecting the weight loss to continue. There goes to show again that calories are a crude measure at best, and the way that nutrients prime circadian biology is a more significant factor in the utilisation of said nutrients.

In the fitness community, John Kiefer and Borge Fagerli have been touting similar concepts of high fat in the morning, and then actively restricting fat in the evening (though they add carbs, which I disagree with). They have gotten many athletes really lean using this approach without having to compromise caloric intake that much.

The more important question to me of course, is what does this observation mean in terms of cellular energetics? It seems like protein is a more important signalling nutrient than fat as the day progresses, which actually up-regulates fat metabolism somehow (which I think is a good thing WRT Quantum Sleep)

---

Been listening to 'Mana' from 'Equilibrium' on infinite loop for the past 3 days while programming :p:

11. Josh

Josh Gold

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Oh, forgot to mention that despite the higher protein intake, I've been waking up to blood ketones of around 0.6-0.7mM which get up to anywhere in the 1.0mM to 2+mM range in the afternoon. Even after my huge protein servings, I'm back to 0.7mM ketones within 12 hours of the meal.

---

Thanks for the quick heads up. When you say you needed 5-MTHF, I assume that you experienced negative symptoms? If so, what sort of symptoms were they?

I've got some of 6(S)-L-Methyltetrahydrofolate together with my last order, so if I'm going to try Lithium, I think that's got to be a complementary supplement as well.

---

I love being in ketosis! Brain can remain charged up by loud music, and stay that way for hours on end, while still being able to calm down easily afterword -- at least that's what my HRV scores are telling me, along with my subjective experience of stress.

13. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Imagine dragons..........Radioactive.

Josh likes this.
  14. Josh

Josh Gold

I had some heart rate variability increases toward the high side, racing thoughts and some sleep changes that were most notable. My hands became colder than usual and from what I could tell, the metals did start to move. I have not tried the other forms of Folate so I have no experience, you have probably read even more than I have.....

15. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Now we know what Dr. K plays in the operating room...

16. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I like it!

Got it! And no, I haven't read more than you have. I just read somewhere about some co-supplementation is often needed for the conditions that involve Lithium deficiency, with Methyl-Folate being one of them. Then I saw this article on MTHFR.net talking about the different forms, and just decided to get the supposed most biologically available form -- http://mthfr.net/l-methylfolate-methylfolate-5-mthf/2012/04/05/

17. Aggie

Aggie Banned

I prefer to play the song Lumberjack by Jackyl in the operating room. Causes people to wonder what in the #$)@_% is going on in that OR lol :)

18. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Lost 1 hour of sleep today, waking up at 6am instead of my usual 7am (just before sunrise right now). Must have been the coffee, so going to avoid it for awhile more.

19. Josh

Josh Gold

I did not recognize the full chemical name for 5 MTHF. I woke up 3 hours early today, I think the increasing photoelectric effect and temperature are lowering my need for electrons from food so my large evening fat/protein meal is now a stress on my liver. I am trying to reduce it a bit and or eat earlier. You are headed in the opposite direction, I wonder if you will need more? I did not track this yet as I had not considered it in the fall. The adventure continues....

20. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I should note that for the last 3-4 weeks now, my sleep schedule has been 10pm to about 7am. So a good 9hrs most days, with lots of (dirty) dreams to boot. The quantity would have something to do with my age as well (not yet fully myelinated).

I've been recording sleep duration since about early 2013, and I definitely saw a decrease in sleep quantity during the September to November period last year, but that only shortened from 9hrs to 8hrs, and then stayed there through Summer.

I keep reading in Jack's blogs that CRON and Winter naturally go together, so I have this nagging thought that the need for electrons from food in general should decrease during Winter. If for any reason, it would be that water becomes a more significant electron supply as it gets colder. (EE13 -- http://jackkruse.com/energy-epigenetics-13-quantum-water-chemistry-2/) But right now, it isn't exactly that cold, and Melbourne rarely goes into the low 30s Fahrenheit even in the middle of winter. It is starting to get cloudy though ...