1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Definitely tried chicken liver pate, but I could never really tell how much of it was actual chicken liver flavour (as opposed to the other ingredients). To be honest, I like duck or goose liver better :p

Thanks for sharing the the experiences caroline.

---

Seems like any medium or short chain fats have that effect, but not the long-chain ones. So either distilled C6 and C8 MCTs, or a rich MCT source like coconut oil gave me the effect. I never tried excessive amounts of butter due to potential AI issues. Most other animal fats didn't have any noticeable effect.

It's got to be related to my autoimmune issues in some way, I'm just not sure how yet.

The major symptoms I had in the past were always:
    • a redness of the hands and feet,
    • along with shunting of blood away from the hands and feet (they get really cold)
    • and simultaneous radiating of heat from everywhere else while feeling colder than usual (even the region of the forearm just above the wrists gets really warm, so blood shunting is literally exclusively restricted to the hands)
    Nowadays the redness is completely gone, but the other 2 symptoms obviously remain, and only surfaced when temperatures fell below 14C.

---

Another interesting and possibly related note is that I've decided to give daily Glutathione supplementation a shot since 3 days ago. Literally the day I started, I went from 1 bowel movement to 3 in that day, and now back to 1 a day. Bristol score was 4 all the way. I've always thrown around the term "detox symptoms", but this funny issue with MCT oil may have something to do with that as well.

Anyway, I'll continue experimenting!

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew - have you followed Ricardo's posts about lipids and Ketones?

3. Josh

Josh Gold

My hunch, I know I must seem like a broken record. It is cheap and there are few downsides....if you follow the suggestions of 250mcg-1mg doses 2-3x/day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8779958

http://www.autismfile.com/diet-nutrition/improved-nutrition-relieves-bowel-problems-infections

ColdKnight likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh Gold

The simple version is I believe without enough Molybdenum we cannot digst the sulfur-based amino acids to make the enzymes to digest the fats and so we suffer. It was my experience and it changed in about 2 days after taking Molybdenum and has not changed back in 10 months. I eat as much of any type of fat I choose. Before that many fats and pork which is high in sulfur-based amino acids gave me cramps, gas and mucus in my stools among other things.

ColdKnight likes this.
  5. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I've never seen any that didn't have a bunch of stuff in it like guar gum, flavoring etc. I can't tolerate any of that. I could try to make it with pure coconut milk...what kind do you buy?

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Yup, I was reading that thread as it was ongoing, and thanks for the reminder to go back and take a look at it.

No, you're not sounding like a broken record. This is something I have yet to consider, and I now know that getting adequate Molybdenum from the diet is actually pretty hard. Nuts and Greens are probably my only real source right now, and we know just how hard it is to get enough from there.

I'm ordering some of that stuff right now. Only costs $20 to give it a shot and potential fix some major issues.

Any other complementary supplements or other precautions that I should be aware of? I've casually read some stuff about copper depletion, but that's nothing some good beef liver can't solve.

7. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I've started with molybdenum again after stopping all supplements for awhile because of my a-fib week. It does seem to muscle test very well for me, so I'm going to keep up with it and slowly begin to do the methyl unblocking protocol. Was it you who mentioned it can help with some kinds of detox headaches??

8. Josh

Josh Gold

I have found manganese as important for complimentary reasons. I wrote about that as it happened earlier in:

http://forum.jackkruse.com/index.ph...nformation-food-for-thought.9011/#post-102909

Also zinc and selenomethionine depending upon diet. Worms do not like copper so I stay away from it. The lithium info is fascinating and I am making my experiments and would not dare to make recommendations. I have posted what I have looked at so far. The Amy Yasko video is revealing....the Tuesday Minute video is more pragmatic.....

9. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Thanks again for the great info. Looks like some good weekend reading is warranted!

10. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Just finished listening to the Feb 2014 Webinar. I'm going to have some Questions during the Q&A that's for sure!

---

Still waiting on that shipment of molybdenum. Only shipped out today, and is the hands of DHL right now.

No recurrence of those MCT-related symptoms in the last few days given that I've been staying away from taking it alone. Interesting note is that cooking protein sources using the same quantity MCT doesn't seem to produce the same effects (fish eggs lightly pan-fried in MCT oil must be one of the most tasty things on earth).

---

Song of the day:

'Heat of the Sun' by Strunz and Farah. Genre: Flamenco Guitar

11. Josh

Josh Gold

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I love Incendio too! Now you made me have to check out more of their stuff.

---
    Low Iron symptoms are pretty much gone now. No more brittle nails or night time cramping. Good to see that at least I'm getting that fixed.

---
    Song of the Day

Tim Ferriss had a post go up today that mentioned 'Beats Antique'. Tim described it pretty well -- Electronic Eastern Gypsie music. I've had some of their stuff sitting around my library, and decided to pick up some more of their work given this mention. (looks like they got some sales off a mention on Tim's site :)).

'Charon's Crossing' from their latest album 'A Thousand Faces - Act I'

13. Sammy

Sammy New Member

Yew-wei,
    How is your experimentation with the Upgraded Brain Octane Oil?? I am considering getting it if it really does deliver - i.e. superior mental performance.
    I have a 7 hr exam coming up(1 hr break in between.....) and I need all the edge I can get.... :rolleyes:

14. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Right now I'm giving MCT a break until I get my Molybdenum supplements and give those a run, but I've basically gone right up to 6 tablespoons without any GI upset.

I do think that the Upgraded Brain Octane is more potent in getting you into a state of ketosis. (Any other pure C8 substitute should work just as well) So if I ate lots of protein during breakfast, then followed that up with some MCT oil, I could get back to registering >1.0mM values quicker, and the cognitive benefit came back quickly as a result. However, I didn't really see much benefit if I was already in a highly ketotic state.

In other words, it helped me get in a state of ketosis quicker if I was out of therapeutic-grade ketosis, but if I already was in a deep state of diet-induced ketosis, then I didn't see much added cognitive boost.

You're going to have to do an n=1 experiment with that, but hopefully the above helps. Best of luck for that 7hr ordeal!

15. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Been far too busy than I like to be :confused:

Molybdenum finally arrived today. Starting to take it in conjunction with some Manganese and Zinc, and let's see how I respond over the next week or so.

Song of the day:

Maybeshewill -- To the Skies From A Hillside

16. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Minor update regarding Molybdenum supplementation.

So far, I've been doing the 2-3mg of molyb with 20mg manganese combo for 2 days. I can't tell if it's having a major effect yet, but one of the immediate observations I did make is that I'm in a deeper state of ketosis for more of the day. eg: the last week I've been hovering only in the 0.7mM to 1.3mM range, but today I'm seeing consistent values above 2.0mM without any change in dietary, sleeping, or stress patterns. Hopefully this is a good clinical sign.

I'll need to wait for some colder days to test my response to the cold, which I view as the most reliable indicator of my mitochondrial function.

---

Speaking of mitochondrial function, I went ahead an re-listened to the mitochondrial Rx (Jan 2013 webinar), and am thinking about implementing some of the supplementation protocols from that Rx. In short, it's:

- CoQ10 (ubiquinol): at least 400mg a day
    - 3 types of magnesium => malate, threonate, and orotate
    - Acetyl L-Carnitine => 600mg does 4 times a day (total of 2400mg a day)
    - D-ribose => as much as you want, but an effective dose probably starts at 2g, and maxes out at 20g
    - Taurine => 1g to 2g a day

I'll see how I react to the Molybdenum experiment, but in all likelihood I'll get at least some of the supps in that Rx to reboot my Mitochondrial function (and not have to depend on those supplements).

Autumn is here, and the goal is to get through this winter with minimal shivering and strong mitochondria.

---
    Song of the day:
    'Really Slow Motion' by Marika Takeuchi

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Being in Ketosis is really helping me as we move into fall .....thoughts?

18. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Ketosis is always important! :D Though the three >30C days that are coming up doesn't really make it feel like Autumn.

Anyway, the only thing new to report is that for the last 3 days, sleep has been full of dreams that I can easily recall after waking. More good signs of a better redox potential.

Also decided to spend yet more money in the pursuit of getting my health back, and went out and got some of those Mitochondria Rx supps. The Ubiquinol was by far the most expensive (I think it was $110 for 40 days worth, assuming 400mg a day).

Oh well, you need to spend money to make money, and not getting the right tools for the job because "it's too expensive" is by far the most common mistake people make. Not like it's expensive anyway -- maybe $300-400/month.

---
    Song of the Day

'The Crow, The Owl And The Dove' by 'Nightwish'. Genre: symphonic metal ballad

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

Great attitude Yew! ......... what could be more important than .....YOU

20. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Easy for me to say though ... I live at a time where there is a major shortage of supply for my sort of talents :confused: Money will never truly be an issue in the short term, especially given my paltry expenses; my burn rate is <$2000/month (and no, I don't own a car)