1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

<Weight Loss Week 1 Update>

It's 11 days since I've been back in Cairns, and I'm feeling a lot better than when I left.

Values for bodyweight and waist measurements, as well as a rough meal log are quoted below.

Weight fluctuations were massive this week. The main thing that caused me to bloat like crazy were processed meats (ham and beef biltong this week). It seems like this was "legitimate weight gain" caused by energetic inefficiencies, which actually prevented further fat loss, and not just some sodium mediated water-bloat. Something about those processed meats is affecting my gut flora in a negative fashion. :rolleyes:

At the end of the week, I basically ended up where I started body composition wise, so I'll call this week a failure in terms of actually losing weight, but I did learn something new.

Metrics of Gut health remain good, with bristol score being a consistent 4, and any bloating clearing up within a day of avoiding the problematic foods.

Brain function still remains high. Mood is stable and good. No new neurotransmitter issues (I'm my usual brand of crazy :p)

----

In Japan and New Orleans, I could get away with eating a lot more crap, and still not gain any weight. I was eating at least 4,000kcal worth of food in Japan dammit! :D

The only explanation is the temperature difference. I already knew that I am going up against a hill by trying to do this weight loss experiment at the hottest time of the year, and the current results again show that hot weather does not favour a lean state.

It's been hot here for sure: 25C (77F) lows, 35C (95F) highs, humidity from 60-90%, rained 14 out of 18 days this month. That's the wet season for you :cool:

Sidenote: despite it raining most days, it rains for probably only 3-4hrs in total a day. That means that I've been getting plenty of sunshine (4hrs spent outside yesterday). Also, we're looking at a 86deg sun angle at noon, and what feels like a >50deg angle even just 1hour after sunrise. In other words, you're going to get good UV exposure almost any time of the day here right now (though 9am-12pm is still best)​

Sidenote: "cold" isn't really that cold either; I've seen cold-induced fat loss at a lousy 13-15C ambient temperature, which my previous locale (Melbourne) is still experiencing regularly even in summer time.​

----

My meal timing pattern is still fairly evenly distributed through the day. I basically re-started eating some breakfast when I got back to Cairns on <08-Jan-2015>, to ensure that I'm yoked to my current light cycle, and haven't changed the eating pattern that much.

Now that I've been waking up just at sunrise for a week, I will switch things up to an intermittent fasting regime, getting as close to 1 meal a day as possible.

Intermittent fasting + calorie restriction will have to be employed for fat loss to occur in this climate. Note that every time you mobilise body fat, you are basically liberating stored protons

In cold, the natural reaction is to uncouple respiration and liberate these protons as IR heat, leaving no net positive charge that can lead to inflammation in excess. In a hot climate, uncoupling is turned off, and forcibly liberating fatty acid stores requires a large electron supply to work. I will have to spend lots of time in the sun and on the beach for this to work out well without compromising my health.

----

I am eating a very non-Epi-paleo diet 2 days a week. Lots of cereal :p

(a) My gut health and redox potential in general is good enough now that I'm not suffering from a shitty diet twice a week

(b) If there is any harm, it will be progressive slow deterioration, and not just falling off a cliff ==> I have the opportunity to revert to an optimal diet if I see any bad symptoms

(c) It's a long light cycle, and I've got easy access to an electron source that is the beach

(d) I'm experimenting with Kiefer's main principle of Carb Backloading, which is to eat high-GI carbs that spike insulin very quickly, and don't linger in the system for long. These carbs are consumed during the window of highest protein synthesis (last 2 hours of sunset). I have tried and failed to do this with natural sources like potatoes, and even short-grain white rice. Weetbix still works best here :p

(e) The main issue with eating processed foods is chronic exposure to processed carbs, and the main issues are:

(1) deprivation of the appropriate substrate for your gut flora
    (2) feeding of potential bad agents (like Candida)

The issue with (1) I think is attenuated somewhat given the quick nature of the carb refeed, and so long as the diet on the othre 5 days of the week is good, the gut flora can still get what they need (low intensity light release). Intermittent fasting also allows for good FIAF action.

(2) is not a problem if there aren't many bad agents in the gut in the first place. Again, if I start seeing negative symptoms, I can and will cut out the non-optimal food.​

======

That's it for now. Let's see what I can achieve in the following week.

======

2. JMO

JMO Gold

Hi Jody,
    Did you find a roommate yet? I'd really like to go but my DH can't make it. Alittle out of my comfort zone going on vac by myself but don't want to miss out.

3. Jude

Jude Gold

4. JodyT2

JodyT2 Silver

OK- I'm totally not responding to the right people... so much for being a newbie! Jude, if you see this, I'm sure you know my message was meant for JMO... and JMO, let's see what we can work out!

Jude likes this.
  5. Jude

Jude Gold

Oh good good good:D

6. Inger

Inger Silver

I have a cabin partner... and i hope everyone will find one...... to make it more affordable... I am so excited i will be on the cruise i just cant believe it :) :) :) :) :)

Jude likes this.
  7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

<Weight Loss Week 2 Update>

Overall summary of progress this week is:
    • Introduced stricter intermittent fasting (4-6hr eating window)
    • No weight or waist change, with weight remaining at just until 80kg / 176lbs, and waist consistently at 79cm / 31''
    • Major visual body composition changes, primarily in shoulders and chest, which are obviously leaner
    • All other metrics of health un-affected (despite the high-carb junk food refeeds)
    So intermittent fasting did not lead to weight loss, but it did improve my body composition.

The goal is to figure out how lost of actual mass will affect my collagen quality, so this week was still a failure to achieve that goal.

Though I have to admit that the issues that I've traditionally faced with hand and foot swelling have diminished tremendously since December, with no major worsen-ing of symptoms throughout that entire period. I can still tell that there is some swelling, which is obviously something that needs fixing.

My copy of the Pavel Kolar 'Clinical Rehab Textbook' (http://www.rehabps.com/REHABILITATION/Clinical_Rehabilitation_textbook.html) is currently in Sydney, and I'll probably get it in 2-3 days time. That is relevant in that learning how to move properly is critical in fixing my issues.

You will see in the diet logs that the copious amounts of late-day junk food isn't doing me any harm at all, and in fact I believe a late-day insulin spike that is very big, and which clears very quickly, in the context of exercise, is a very helpful mechanism for improving body composition in an energetically-favourable manner if you manipulate other variables appropriately (ie: not trying to gain extra mass).

Sidenote 0: I have brewing thoughts about applying refeeds, either with protein, carbs, or combinations thereof, to helping people get back to optimal from a sub-optimal state. I think I'll have a write-up about this at some point in time.

Sidenote 1: Here's a pic representing current body composition taken on Sunday morning, with the appropriate warning that this is me wearing a pair of red swimming trunks that's all too small for me :oops: (NOT wearing these on the Cruise) -- http://tanyewwei.com/static/pics/4u7_X4swfz-3xIUhSt1-l3QL.jpg

-----

Upcoming Interventions

The next week will consist of me both raising protein levels significantly, and attempting to isolate the effects of the insulin spike using a protein-only late-day refeeding scenario.

My protein intake has actually not been very high. On days that I don't do a late-day refeed, it's probably only around 70-90g, which is in the range of 1g per KG bodyweight for me. On days that I do have the refeed, it's still only been up to 120g of protein.

I'm going to raise protein intake to at least 150g per day, and even more on re-feed days.

As for the refeeds, I'm going to try and take carbs out of the picture, and do at least 2 refeeds with just protein. A typical day would probably be:

- small amount fat consumption in the morning. Cream in coffee, etc ... Maybe 200-300kcal
    - High fat meal at 12-1pm, which will probably be my mackerel bowl. Around 800kcal
    - Exercise of some form after 4pm
    - late-day meal at 5-6pm (sunset is 7+pm here right now). This meal will minimally be 10g of leucine with 90g of whey isolate. This is basically close to 100g of fast-digesting protein that will give a massive insulin spike that should clear pretty quickly. Fat is deliberately kept very low in this meal. Addition of extra lean protein is possible, but I want to cap this meal at 1000kcal
    Total of maybe 2000-2200kcal eaten through the day, which is a calorie-restricted state if you look at it from a daily perspective, but the point is to figure out how the transient and rapid influx of a lot of insulin-spiking compounds without the addition of carbs is going to affect body composition, and simultaneously help me figure out some thoughts that I'm having regarding the exact function of insulin.

Sidenote: grass-fed and likely A2 protein NZ Whey protein isolate bought from 'Professional Whey' -- https://professionalwhey.com.au/product/nz-whey-protein-isolate/ . Also got the leucine from them, as well as some AU grass-fed whey concentrate (a lot cheaper -- https://professionalwhey.com.au/product/aus-whey-protein-concentrate/)

Sidenote: Whey concentrate and isolate do contain calcium. I generally try to avoid extra calcium consumption, and I suspect that the body is capable of making it's own calcium :eek:. For the sake of this experiment, I'll just have to hope that the added calcium intake isn't going to affect me. In general, I'd assume anywhere from 200-500mg of calcium per 100g of whey concentrate or isolate. Can't say which has more, since it varies by batch of milk, and the ultrafiltration processes used to make these proteins does not remove calcium.​

Weight log

Diet log

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    rgp888 and Hope2Learn like this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

nice pic Yew!!!!

Hope2Learn likes this.
  9. kovita

kovita Gold

I
    I like your experiment! on the side note i believe that each would need/react to differemt approach depending onthe current context. That wants to say that results of your experiment with yourself may not be generally aplicable for anyone else. I learnt a lot about how the context matters and how it changes myself. I find intersting your experience with late afternoon insulin spikes. I do not want to sound weird, but this is what I sort of naturally started to practice during the last few months (must remember i have unusual internal hormonal environment coming from unusual situation plus the fact I am a woman and you are a man). It did nothing to the state of ketosis I live in. I use some carbs though, but sometimes I naturally leave proteins just for the dinner. Looking forward to your thpughts "about the meaning of insulin, universe and everything". As for myself, it is fixing my sleep plus some more things I massed up with hardcore keto. It may as well be that what I achieved with hardcore keto and thpusands of other things I was/doing to get well again somehow "start to work" if I allow some insulin spikes. I have more and more energy (subjective level) and MUCH more ATP (measurable level, even ATP value is limited).

10. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Leaders never cross the finish line first. They wait for others because they are patient. To follow the leader means the leader is bringing others to a destination. That destination is not a place where followers congratulates the leader, it's the place where the leader applauds those who followed and were able to cross the finish line first before themselves. It is not looks, not height, not fitness, not intelligence, not wealth, not clothes, not humor. It is patience that matters.............Food for thought

caroline, rgp888, Inger and 2 others like this.
  11. rgp888

rgp888 New Member

Dr Kruse - you often sound so much like the Grandmaster of the Bujinkan Ninjutsu - Dr Masaaki Hatsumi Sensei - whenever he speaks, every word has so much depth and meaning - I often describe his manner of speaking as if he is speaking a quantum field where everything is connected but we (mere mortals) just can't see it - he, like you, has the ability to tie together ideas that appear to be disparate, yet are subtlety the same thing in a different way - it takes a lot of time and patience (and training) to understand him as well!

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

See, and this is a pregnant woman managing to find a way to accurately intuit her needs and respond to them with the appropriate diet :p

Some random un-polished thoughts follow ....

-----

I will say that full-on keto isn't the best idea for a lot of people. I use "keto" to literally mean a ketogenic diet with at least a 2:1 ratio of fat to protein (and a higher ratio if possible), and with 30g of carbs or less. I'm referring here to Jane Plain's description of ketogenic diets -- http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2015/01/keto-diet-facts-tm-by-woo.html

There are situations which I think that a true keto diet is the answer, and those are typically situations of serious neuro-degeneration.

I will still advocate a high-fat, moderate-protein, low carb diet as a default. For definition sake I'll call this a diet whereby:
    • carbs are below 75g
    • protein at 1g per KG bodyweight, with a minimum of 60-70g. eg: for a 50kg woman, I'd still advocate at least 60-70g of protein a day.
    • rest of the calories from appropriate seasonal fats
    I then think there is a large role for a cyclic approaches that not enough people are taking advantage of: some days with high-fat-low-carb, and some days with higher protein or carbs timed appropriately.

----

In terms of pure body composition changes, the two standout examples have been John Kiefer's 'Carb Backloading' (http://carbbackloading.com/), and Borge Fargeli's success with clients on his Biorhythm diet protocol (http://forum.reactivetrainingsystems.com/content.php?108-The-Biorhythm-Diet)

You will find some commentary from Bill Lagakos about Carb Backloading here:
    I cannot deny the positive body composition effects achieved in the performance-oriented community by putting protein and carbs in the evening, while simultaneously limiting fat intake.

----

To define "fast insulin spike", I'm looking at an insulin increase past baseline that lasts for 1-2 hours, with blood glucose normalising back to baseline within 3 hours. Eating fast-acting carbs tend to achieve this effect, especially when GLUT4 receptor activity is up-regulated after resistance exercise.

I still suspect that the benefits are insulin-mediated, and excess carbs is not necessary for the beneficial effects. Some added carbohydrates are probably useful, and I think a mix of fast-digesting fructose and glucose is beneficial. The appropriate dose is context-specific, but I think somewhere in the range of 10-20g of fructose, and 40-50g of glucose is where effects start to happen. No clue how D-ribose will affect this.

I think insulin's effects on uncoupling proteins likely correspond to the feeling of "throwing off lots of body heat" that people experience when they use Carb Backloading. I also view this as a diagnostic criteria: If you don't throw off body heat in response to high insulin spikes, then you are not Leptin Sensitive.

I do not know to what degree insulin must be spiked (measured in blood insulin concentration) for there to be a pronounced effect, but the value probably doesn't matter that much; I think the body just has to see a "low insulin" signal most of the time, and then a sudden "OMGWTF! insulin signal" for a short period.

----

Getting an insulin spike purely through fast-acting protein will be: (a) shorter, probably on the order of 1-2hours, and (b) bringing with it a corresponding up-regulation of glucagon.

Glucagon up-regulation during periods of high protein synthesis (which is the case in the last 2-hours of daylight) will increase macro-autophagy rates by quite a significant amount. I personally want to take advantage of this for health optimisation if possible.

----

My hunch is that the ideal combination for myself for the goal of weight loss is roughly 80-100g of fast-acting protein, coupled with 50g of glucose and 20g of fructose. Of course, I'll eventually put this to the test.

13. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Readers of this should not mis-interpret it to mean that leaders don't need intelligence, etc .... :rolleyes:

(a) Yes, you need to be really skilled in a whole set of particular attributes to lead
    (b) No, you don't need to be the best -- but just because I'm not the most intelligent, doesn't discount the fact that a leader needs to be pretty intelligent
    (c) Not having patience and kindness is a deal-breaker for a leader .... but that still requires the needed attributes for the task (whatever those are)

----

Then we get to another (less traditional) definition of "Leadership", which is to provide for the environment needed for the appropriate freedom of interaction. This obviously takes skill, time, and resources (money or otherwise).

The goal is to inspire spontaneous acts of initiative between members in the environment to help each other (hopefully while fulfilling selfish needs).

It is important to remember that a term like "Intelligence" is a relative concept. An 8-year-old elder sister is more intelligent than her 6-year-old sibling, and can teach and lead the younger sibling how to braid her hair (amongst other skills). Maybe the 6-year-old sister can lead her elder sister to dig up earthworms to use as fishing bait ;)

Pieter Hintjens' article 'The Cretan Method', talks about the process whereby leading and learning happens amongst everyone from all ages, regardless of absolute level of expertise -- http://hintjens.com/blog:81#toc6

Another book that touches on these topics, which I want to read but haven't, is Peter Gray's 'Free to Learn' -- http://www.amazon.com/Free-Learn-Unleashing-Instinct-Self-Reliant/dp/0465025994 . He recently did an interview with Chris Ryan about this topic -- http://chrisryanphd.com/tangentially-speaking/2015/1/15/108-peter-gray

This also still introduces a power hierarchy, in that the owner of the resources needed to provide for that environment has a higher degree of control over what happens in that environment. Part of this is necessary, just like good laws are necessary (some places in Scandinavia like Denmark good a pretty good job ;)), but the goal is eventually to get as much distribution of power as possible ....

That's a whole other can of worms though .... :p, and I'll leave that for a face-to-face discussion (come find me during the Kruse Cruise! :cool:)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Kristi Lambert likes this.
  14. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Josh likes this.
  15. its a hectic read

16. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hehe, not really ;). It's very modular, and written pretty succinctly and precisely. Very easy to get the big picture of what a particular chapter/sub-section/module offers, and then quickly look it up every time a new thought comes up.

I like this book already :D, definitely a resource that will lead to continuous accumulation of applicable knowledge over time.

17. yes well not hectic as in some of the physics texts, it blows my mind however the amount of effort kolar has put in to developing this, starting with filming his own child every day for 18 months!

18. kovita

kovita Gold

welll...that may be what I observe. I am not able to go a ywhere higher than 100g carbs at least now in the winter. I indeed do exprience to heat up effect (i call it light bulb effect ;-) I would naturally go for the diet you advocate. I am not the counting person, but if I make the counts, these are the numbers I get. Sometimes I wake up and feel like no protein at all. I respect this and get some more carbs with the fat meals. Curiously at the dinner time I ususally "feel" like protein again, but mostly pass this idea and finish the day as very low protein (let's say 15 g a day max). this makes my sleep more profound for the next 3 days. I have a feeling that when you have been doing "right" to your body for reasonable amount of time, you start to act instinctively "smart". It is great to understand what does it mean, but in a way it is enough "to do it". it is a bit like you suddenly understand what to do without employing the intelligence (I may be passed straight to the hands of inquisition for this I think!). take my yesterday...I started to fall down with some virus. I felt very cold and shaking (no fever), but still felt like goint for a swim to Donau. So I went and spent in longer time than usually. After this I craved "blood" so badly, I went home and consume notable amount of bloody lamb liver and some heart, too bad no pork blood sausages anywhere around. No taste for vegetables at all. This morning I woke up craving porc and raw eggs. So I had it and the disease is gone. Well, not exactly a story to tell to my friends or my ob-gyn doc. I have no idea what, why and how....but i did it and it helped. I think I am oficially nuts ;-) btw your new book is a classic in Czech republic where i come from, Kolar is our number one!

caroline likes this.
  19. Seamus Ryan

Seamus Ryan New Member

To all the Aussie members on this forum. I have a question for you (I posed this to Jack on Facebook, he suggested I would get a better response here) - On a different note Jack, can you please give me a specific reply to this question. If you lived in Australia (specifically Melbourne which is right under the doughnut hole) how would you live your life in terms of sun exposure, grounding, seafood etc. ie the sun burns here in literally 12 minutes, am I more protected if grounded, should I limit exposure because of the hole. Give me a typical summers day/ winters day if you lived here. I don't wear sunscreen unless absolutely necessary (ie out golfing for 5 hours) is this the right approach? I don't know what we need to do given our problems here. Your thoughts people?

20. caroline

caroline Moderator

move to Cairns ..... ljke Yew did!

I am probably slightly better off because I live just south of Sydney on the ocean - in a very old area with lots of conifers and shrubs and grass and rocks......
    not as bad nnEMF as Melbourne ....I hope

I make sure I get lots of early morning and late afternoon lite ....not midday.

We often walk to the ocean around 6:30 am and stay for a couple of hours if we have time.
    walk on the grass and on the rocks and lay in the sand.

limit computer time.....

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015