1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Thanks for all the well wishes girls :D

Ha, unfortunately I booked the Japan trip before I decided to move to Cairns, so the flight leaves from Melbourne. Oh well, at least I get a couple days to catch up with friends and family.

Definitely staying on point with my DHA game though. Definitely more than 5g yesterday, and likely a similar dose today.

Head down to neighbouring Italy and pick up some botarga! :D

Definitely hope you enjoy your time at the ocean.

Yup, jetlag should not be an issue. I'm synced to UTC+10 with a 5:30am sunrise and 6:30pm sunset (almost 13hrs). Japan is UTC+9 with sunrise at 6:30am and sunset at 4:30pm (10hrs)

As for the cold, so far so good. Cold shower this morning was much easier than I remember. Water is only around 15C though.

Then did some yoga/bodyweight movements in the garden. Outside temp was about 12C, though air was pretty still, so not much wind chill. Still, my body was mostly radiating heat.

As usual, the two places that remain cold as hell are my hands and feet. Everywhere else is pumping out heat :eek:. I'll probably just accept icy hands for now, and not care so long as there isn't any frostbite risk.

Too much obsession with speedo pics :rolleyes: ..... winter time isn't exactly the best time either.

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

you wound me ...... but I love you anyway .....have fun!

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

If you can convince Jack to post a pic of himself in his red speedos, I'll be sure to do a pic of me in speedos during the NOLA meetup specially for you :p. Add a cigar too if they're available. :rolleyes:

4. caroline

caroline Moderator

cigars are mandatory ...... we screwed our picture up!
    maybe everyone needs red speedos for the cruise??????? :p:cool::D

5. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Body Composition

In Cairns, I was eating maybe 2000-2500kcal a day, with lots of NEAT, lots of beach time, and regular (but not excessive) exercise thrown in. While that got my health quotient up quite a fair bit, it did not get me any leaner, and I basically hovered around the 83kg mark for a good 3-4 weeks.

I wasn't hungry or anything, but if I tried to actively restrict food, the weight would not move, and I'd start to see energy levels dip a little, and then would add back some food again to hit a maintenance level. The environment signal seemed to favour fat storage.

So on Tuesday (5 days ago from now), I decided to try a quick refeed experiment. I would have maybe 100g of carbs in a single meal, from the most insulinogenic sources I could find. It had to be dairy plus some pure sugar for maximal insulin. So I went completely un-Epi-paleo and hand a tub of Yogurt and an Irn Bru :p

Weight and waist changes over the last 5 days has been:
    • <2014-11-25 Tue>: 83.3kg, 81cm
    • <2014-11-26 Wed>: 82.7kg, 81cm
    • <2014-11-27 Thu>: 82.2kg, <81cm // fly to Melbourne at 6:30am
    • <2014-11-28 Fri>: 81.6kg, 80.5cm
    • <2014-11-29 Sat>: 81.3kg, 80cm
    Diet over the last 4 days (numbers are kcal amounts):
    • <2014-11-25 Tue> 3000
      - mackerel + seaweed + herbs: 1400
      - fat: 600
      - yogurt + irn bru: 900
      - misc: 100
    • <2014-11-26 Wed> 2000
      - fat sources: 1000
      - mackerel + seaweed + herbs + sardines: 1000
    • <2014-11-27 Thu> 1700 (back to Melbourne)
      - nuts: 400
      - fish eggs 300g: 600
      - 300g trout + misc: 700
    • <2014-11-28 Fri> 3000
      - fish eggs 300g: 600
      - oysters 200g + seaweed + anchovies: 400
      - sushi + dessert: 1500-2000

So I ate roughly the same, had a bunch of carbs, and lost almost 2kg (4.4lbs) and 1cm off my waist over 5 days :p

Notes: The lower calories on Thursday was due to my Melbourne flight, and I didn't want to eat anything until I had landed, been grounded for awhile, and actually had some good seafood on hand.​

The 2 big changes that have been made was the refeeding I did, and the cold exposure that I'm gotten since I'm back in Melbourne.

For the mechanics of how AMPk and insulin interact during re-feeding to lean you out, see -- http://jackkruse.com/intermittent-fasting-and-leptin/ . Suffice to say, I'm in a position to benefit from these, and will likely to continuing this practices on a weekly basis at least.

The temperature here in Melbourne isn't exactly cold, but it's definitely enough to get a mild cold stimulus. I'm typing this while sitting shirt-off in the 14C (57F) weather. Nights have been getting down to the 12-13C range the last 2 nights. Have been doing cold showers every morning since I've been here too. Last night when I went out to dinner, it was a cool 17C (63F), and at least this time I was doing fine in a T-shirt.

See, calories are a useful metric to track "amount of food" you're eating given that your diet composition doesn't vary too much, but it does literally nothing to tell you about variations in macronutrient type and timing and the resulting effect on mitochondrial ETC to drive the rest of circadian signalling.

This makes me even more curious to see what happens when I get to Japan, and the cold stimulus becomes more significant. CT4 stated that eNOS can uncouple the SCN from light and couple it to temperature instead, which for me would mean that I would continue to see the body composition effects I'm seeing now despite eating carbs (blue light input).

----

My hands still get cold though. Need to think about ways to improve this. :confused:

Blocking out some time to read Tensegrity #10 later. It should give me even more answers to the exact situation I'm facing now :D

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Japan Day 1

7:30am in Tokyo now.

Took the 11pm (UTC+11) flight from Melbourne to Narita airport in Tokyo. Flight time of 10hr 20min, arriving at 7:20am Tokyo time (UTC+9). Got 6 hours of crappy sleep on the plane. :confused:

Took the Narita Express Train from Narita Terminal 2 to Shinjuku station, then a Train on the Chuo-Sobu line in the direction of Mitaka, stopping at Koenji station in the Sugimoto ward, which is about 7-8 mins to the main city area by train. Got off and walked 10 mins to our apartment on Airbnb.

Temp yesterday was 14-15C (57-59F) most of the day, so it was T-shirt weather for sure. Walked around a fair bit (4+ hrs), and had some onigiri and tonkatsu along the way :). No pics yet because the internet connection here is crappy (should get better on Friday when we're in Kyoto). Had cold hands, but otherwise I was comfortable all the way through.

----

EMF situation in the apartment is surprisingly good. <0.01mG on the ELF readings, and <0.05mW/cm^2 on the Radio frequency readings.

Of course, given how small the apartment is, once the fridge comes on, the ELF readings go to about 0.5mG .....

----

Insulin shuts down uncoupling?

I feel colder after eating even a small meal (say 200kcal), which can be explained by falling Free Fatty Acids (FFA) levels due to a sudden spike in insulin. Less FFAs for uncoupling means less heat generation.

Of course, all the food here is predominantly carbs :p, so obviously I'm curious as to what would happen if I ate just fat and protein instead.

I get back to my usual cold tolerance in maybe 20 mins. Is this reflective of the ability to generate sufficient insulin resistance to keep FFAs high?

Josh (Paleo Osteo) and caroline like this.
  7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Still have a shitty internet connection, so haven't been really following the Tensegrity #10 thread, and have not listened to the December Webinar. Promise that once I get a good connection again, I'll get back on track and move the discussion forward.

----
    Japan Day 2

Mainly spent running around Akihabara. Better leave this description out for now :rolleyes:
    -----
    Japan Day 3

Ate too much rice today :eek:

Went to Tsukijishijo.
    Had sushi at Sushi Yamazaki -- 11 piece sushi set (mackerel sushi was AMAZING!!!!!!! :eek:)
    Then a stick of yaki-dango, and a stick of red-bean dango (dango are basically glutinous rice balls).
    Then a stick of dashi-tamago-yaki. (sweet layered egg)
    Then a sea urchin roe steamed bun.
    Then a stick of Unagi (sea eel)
    Then had 5 different onigiri (ingredients wrapped in rice) -- mentaiko (fish roe), ikura (salmon roe), anago (river eel), unagi (sea eel), shoyu (just soy sauce and then grilled)
    Then bought some fried pregnant fish (with roe) from 7-eleven on the way back home.

I've had enough food for awhile :p

Got pictures of almost everything of course, but don't have the bandwidth to upload yet.

----

Cold tolerance was pretty good today, and I was walking around Tsukijishijo in a T-shirt despite the 5C (41F) weather.

Again, after all that rice, I immediately felt really cold, and put on a jumper. Need to eat fat to keep up the fat burning!

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

sounds great Yew ....... sounds like you are eating for two! Is your brother enjoying it all?

9. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Just an exception for that one day ;). Just can't pass up the opportunity to get my rice fix.

Me and bro have realised that we're just scratching the surface of Japanese culture :p. Not going to be the last time I make a trip to this EMF laden country (though the trips would probably be shorter :confused: -- 5-7 days tops)

----
    Japan Day 4

Went to Kappa-bashi, Ueno Park, and the temple down at Asakusa, then Akiba again. Ate some fried stuff :D, and a really good takayaki, then opted for a quick dinner from the supermarket.

Picked up a 100g bag of raw oysters, 200g of mentaiko (preserved fish roe), 100g of salted fish liver (I think ...), and a pack of natto. Got pics of course, and got a bunch of DHA too. All for about ¥1200 (most expensive was the mentaiko, which was Y680) (we can assume that ¥100 = AU$1, so AU$12.00, maybe about US$10.00)

All the supermarkets here seem to stock fresh fish for a decent price o_O

10. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

No radioactive glow in the food? Any indication of a strong concern about contamination by the 'man in the street'?

11. shah78

shah78 Gold

"Fried pregnant fish roe at the seven-eleven". We have lots of that here in Florida at our seven elevens as well :) Right next to the Big Gulps and hot dogs.

fitness@home likes this.
  12. caroline

caroline Moderator

can't wait to see your pics Yew...enjoy every single second! xo

How does rice affect you??? That quantity? As you know I adore sushi! and rice seems to have no affect.....but I don't do it too often.

You like natto?

13. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Random picture dump

Bro and I each had 900g of Tsukemen (thick ramen with dipping sauce) on the 2nd of December.

[​IMG]

-----
    Sushi Yamazaki

Left to right: Snapper, Hamachi, dashi-tamagoyaki

[​IMG]

Ark Shell

[​IMG]

Squid (this was crazy good!)

[​IMG]

Mackerel (single best piece of food of this trip)

[​IMG]

Prawn

[​IMG]

Chu-toro (medium tuna)

[​IMG]

Oo-toro (fatty tuna)
    [​IMG]

Ikura (salmon roe)

[​IMG]

Uni (sea urchin roe)

[​IMG]

fitness@home likes this.
  14. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Anago (river eel)

[​IMG]

Me (in t-shirt) with bro at the sushi restaurant

[​IMG]

-----

Best dashi-tamago-yaki I've ever had

[​IMG]

Yaki dango (brown) and anko dango (red bean coating)

[​IMG]

Unagi (roasted sea eel)

[​IMG]

-----

Incredible sushi from Izuju in Gion, Kyoto. Saba sushi (marinated mackerel with rice), sasamaki (snapper, parsley, and rice), inari sushi (fried tofu packed with rice with coriander seeds)

[​IMG]

I'm getting addicted to dango, and the miso-dango in Kyoto is the best I've had ever

[​IMG]

-----

My random supermarket seafood bowl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fitness@home likes this.
  15. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

-----

Fried Sweet potato

[​IMG]

Takoyaki with mentaiko sauce

[​IMG]

----

Tonkatsu (fried pork cutler) meal on our first day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

=====

OK. More pics to follow as the trip continues :p

fitness@home likes this.
  16. fitness@home

fitness@home Silver

^^ Now I'm hungry!

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Fantastic Yew! I need to google Dango .....

18. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Redox Potential Drop ....

As expected, my redox potential is starting to fall with all of this non-epi-paleo eating and blue light exposure (food and direct exposure) :rolleyes:

As usual, first place redox potential tanks is in the peripheral tissues, specifically the tissues with the highest turnover -- the skin. Dry skin since day 4, and then yesterday my cold tolerance really tanked. Granted, it's 1C to 9C now (34F to 48F), but I was rocking a T-shirt in 5C weather with only my hands feeling slightly cold on day 3, and today, my hands are slightly swollen from the cold, have reduced dexterity, and I am actually feeling cold and shivering (uncoupling is screwed, and skin can't repel the cold anymore). Probably going to have to strategically rug up for the remainder of my trip, given that it's going to get colder in the coming week.

-----
    Meal Timing

Given that I'm eating all carbs now, I've tried to experiment with different carb timings.

So far the writings of Bill Lagakos which suggest that carbs earlier in the day has proven to be the most helpful in terms of cold tolerance -- http://caloriesproper.com/afternoon-diabetes-and-nutrient-partitioning-2/

Fasting for prolonged periods with reduced redox potential literally gives me the chills; shivering thermogenesis starts pretty strong after about 20hr of fasting.

Best bet now is probably to keep some dried seafood with me on hand for a protein dose in the morning, and then eat most of my calories before 2pm. One day

-----

No clue if I'm getting fatter. Don't feel it though :p. I credit the cold and the 5-6 hours of walking every day.

Will have to spend my 7 days in Cairns before the NOLA trip mostly on the beach to restore this redox state, before trashing it again with 20+ hours of flying to get to NOLA.

-----

No! Don't fall out of Epi-Paleo eating :eek:

Ha, nobody seems to care :p. Some ionizing radiation is good for you anyway ;)

I don't get how natto is considered pungent? o_O Tastes pretty mild, and sorta like Tempe with a little more of an alcohol finish. I like it, but I like a more pungent bean product TBH (like stinky tofu :p)

Rice is just carbs for me. And too much carbs make me high in a bad way o_O

19. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Got to Fushimi Inari Shrine in Kyoto

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ate probably the worst thing possible for you at the Shrine. Yakisoba (fried noodles in seafood suace, topped with mayonaisse and sour plums)

[​IMG]

Had Nishin Soba after the shrine visit (herring and buckwheat noodles)

[​IMG]

Bro had Oyako don (with duck instead of chicken)
    [​IMG]

20. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

First day in Osaka saw more unhealthy eats :eek:

Osaka is obsessed with Kushi Katsu (basically means fried stuff on a stick)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TBH, I don't really like fried food.

Then had some ChaShu ramen later in the day:
    [​IMG]

----

Went for Chanko Nabe yesterday (all the ingredients are boiled in a dashi stock, and served with rice)

[​IMG]

and also had this pork omelette which was amazingly good (don't know how they make ometlettes taste good ....)

[​IMG]

Then had some Pork Katsu curry (fried pork with japanese style curry). Another one of those things that are insanely unhealthy for you.

[​IMG]

And if that wasn't enough, we decided to have some rice bowls for dinner

Bro had yaki-gyu-don (charcoal grilled beef with rice)

[​IMG]

I had a buta-don (charcoal grilled pork belly)

[​IMG]

Both of these were amazing ..... :p