1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. caroline

caroline Moderator

naked is good .... I just gotta make sure I close ALL the blinds before I go to bed! lol

2. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Oh well, I guess Summer time is the best time to start "training" to sleep without the covers. (while it still isn't that cold)

I'll try yet again to make it the night in only my underwear tonight o_O

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Finally able to get to a full night's sleep in only a "scarf" (which is just a t-shirt draped over the neck). I'll see if I can maintain that level of dressing with the upcoming cool change (with nights finally down to the 13C range).

Also starting to overheat with a blanket on, which I guess is a good clinical sign that Leptin sensitivity is getting better.

The "urge to eat" that I described a few posts earlier is also disappearing.

---

Adding some nuts (1 or 2 handfuls, which is probably about 40-70g of nuts) every day has taken my bristol score to a consistent 4 for the last month. Biggest win in quite awhile.

---

Adding some Glutathione before periods of higher stress also has curbed any skin conditions.

---
    Song of the Day:

- 'Ghibli Jazz'. Genre: Japanese Jazz

4. Jude

Jude Gold

Adding some Glutathione before periods of higher stress also has curbed any skin conditions.

That's interesting Yew....what sort do you take?

5. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I tried both the Upgraded Force Glutathione from Dave Asprey's UpgradedSelf (http://www.optimoz.com.au/collections/supplements/products/bulletproof-upgraded-glutathione), as well as LivOn Lab's Liposomal Glutathione (http://www.iherb.com/LivOn-Laboratories-Lypo-Spheric-GSH-30-Packets-0-2-fl-oz-5-4-ml-Each/25232)

I didn't really feel much difference between the two given the same dosage (1 serving of UpgradedSelf GSH is 100mg, while 1 packet from LivOn is 450mg).

LivOn is the more cost effective supplement, but contains some soy-derived phospholipids, with no guarantees that it's non-GMO soy. I don't feel the difference though, so I'll probably stick with the LivOn stuff.

6. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I should take stock of the supplements that I'm taking now just to have a look at the "nutritional dependencies" that I have:

• Vit C -- 1g or 2g twice a day (2g to 4g daily)
    • N-Acetyl Cysteine -- typically 500mg once a day in the morning
    • Lugols -- 6-12 drops daily (usually taken with seaweed)
    • Magnesium Citrate -- 200-400mg daily
    • Magnesium Malate -- 400-600mg daily
    • Vitamin K2 -- MK4 3 times a week at 5mg dose, MK7 100mcg every other day
    • Zinc Glycinate -- at present it's 30mg daily, but I can probably reduce this pretty soon
    • On days with higher protein intake: Bitter melon extract (1000-1500mg) around meals
    • Liposomal Glutathione whenever I feel like I need it
    • Have some ginger root, oregano oil, and curcumin handy whenever I think I'm facing a higher stress scenario
    ---

Diet-wise, the basic template on most days is:

- one meal in the morning which is probably 600-1000kcal.
    - one meal at night of approximately the same size

Protein intake on such days is probably in the 80-120g range depending on whether or not I decide to eat a lot of protein with breakfast. Today's breakfast for example, was decently high in protein, with about 250g of fish eggs in a seaweed broth, then a big cup of cocoa with MCT oil.

Protein wise, of the 14 meals I have, the rule is to get at least 7 with some form of seafood, which usually turns out to be shellfish (prawns usually) and fish eggs given the season (fish spawning season is coming to a close now though). That probably turns out to be 1.25-1.5kg worth of seafood protein a week. The rest of the meals consist of beef, lamb, and pork. I'd say I would be going through anywhere from 3-4kg of animal protein a week.

---

Current weight is just a hair above 84kg, which is probably 1kg below when I started this journal.

---

Also finally finished up Dan Carlin's "Wrath of The Khan's" series on his Hardcore History podcast -- http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/hharchive . Very interesting look into one of history's tyrants.

---

Been listening to lots of Electronic and Video Game Music while coding these days:

7. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Awesome. You are really in control of your engine :)

8. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Nah, we're all just fumbling along o_O

---

Been pretty busy, and actually taking the opportunity to try some Intermittent Fasting.

So far there hasn't been any hunger, but now that there's been some colder mornings (12-13C or 53-55F), I've been getting some weird symptoms during the mornings:

• I'd wake up at roughly 6:30am feeling very warm, and not feel cold at all when doing my morning stretching routine in the garden (only wearing shorts)
    • for the next 1-2 hours, I'd be standing around doing work shirtless, have mild goosebumps, be radiating heat, and be sweating from my armpits and back of the neck. I don't feel cold at all, but hands still remain cold.
    • then I'd go back to feeling "normal", but if I have any form of MCT oil during this fasting period, I start simultaneously radiating more heat, but feeling really cold, and the feeling persists for hours. Hands and feet remain cold.
    • Normal temperature perception only seems to recover after either some exercise, or a hot shower
    Eating MCT oil then feeling really cold is a symptom that I experienced all last Winter. All through that time, I was relatively lean (say anywhere in the 10-13% body fat range).

CT 6 kept mentioning that MCT oil wasn't ideal in the winter because it didn't help fluidity of membranes -- http://jackkruse.com/cold-thermogenesis-6-the-ancient-pathway/

I still don't know what's up with my case of course, but I should probably try more experiments.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

The NCT oil thing is interesting Yew..... I have been having a lot more CO and feel cold getting into the ocean- it is 21C right now - so definitely not cold. I also have been feeling cooler in general when I don't think I should be.

10. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Just when I was thinking that maybe I should just eat fat and ditch the protein, my idea gets blown out of the water lol.

11. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Hmm, "feeling cold" is such a subjective thing ... Do you notice yourself radiating/emitting more heat despite feeling cold?

Yeah, but mine is exclusively an MCT triggered symptom. Eating butter doesn't seem to cause any changes to how I feel.

12. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I've noticed a big difference between the super high brain fuel MCT... and the regular upgraded MCT from Bulletproof. The first gives me way to much nervous energy...to the point of nausea. Almost like I've had a shot of adrenaline. The regular upgrade seems much better and lasts a long time. I always mix it with regular coconut oil, so I don't just have MCT straight. Anyway, I'd keep experimenting with different fats rather than trying to stay away from them. I wish I could eat butter.....that would make my winter life very happy. Even ghee doesn't sit well with me anymore...it must be the presence of some of the milk proteins. Have any of you tried duck fat??? very yummy.

13. sooperb

sooperb New Member

In my larder today I have, goose fat, duck fat, raw organic salt free butter, raw virgin coconut oil and plenty of extra virgin, cold pressed, organic olive oil. Now if I could find a way of sandwiching them all together in bite sizes pieces .............. I just had an idea, what if you could freeze them a layer at a time like a terrine? Then slice and cube and pop them like pills lol? Hmmmm.

14. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I could see a butter, duck fat, goose fat and bacon fat terrine...topped with scrunchions....the subtle colour variations could be enhanced by layers of beef gelatine....could be a epi-paleo hit!

15. caroline

caroline Moderator

Seahorse - I am trying coconut yogurt with Coconut oil .... I have run out of MCT but will use that instead. Can you have eggs?

I actually think I will try some full fat ricotta and coconut yogurt and MCT......

16. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I'm Southern Chinese -- duck and goose (from beak to tail) have been comfort foods ever since I was a toddler :) (with the favourite being goose liver sausage of course). Don't have any in the house right now sadly, since I haven't bothered to find a high-quality source. One of these days I'll learn to shoot my own wild ducks!

Thanks for sharing the experience regarding types of fat, I'm definitely one to experiment.

I support this idea! :D Maybe even add a seafood layer -- oysters, prawns, mussels, scallops, etc ... all would go well in a terrine, especially since the flavours will be separated and not blend together in some unpalatable fashion.

17. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew - I feel cool most of the time - but my skin feels quite warm - always surprised me!
    goose liver sausage sounds great!
    Have you tried the chicken liver pate?

18. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

No eggs for me....I have butter, egg and cream envy....maybe someday with the eggs, but I doubt dairy and I will ever be friends.

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

so - how would coconut yogurt be for you?

20. Josh

Josh Gold

What MCT's did you use that made you feel so poorly? My take from your description is that there may be an immune issue that is exacerbated by the oils. by the oils