1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Ever since the last month or so, I've been filtering tap water through a basic counter-top reverse osmosis system.

I got this unit from PSI filters -- http://www.psifilters.com.au/revers...reverse-osmosis-systems/4-STAGE-COUNTERTOP-RO . I also got 2 sets of replacement cartridges -- http://www.psifilters.com.au/revers...replacement-countertop-ro-cartridge-twin-deal

Each filter set supposedly gets you 2000L of water, so that's $330 for 6000L, or 5.5cents per litre, which is decently cheap for RO water. Free delivery all the way from Tassie too!

It filters surprisingly quickly too -- about 30mins to almost fill my 12L glass jug.

Their site claims that they got a 92-96% rejection for the halogens (chloride, bromide, fluoride), as well as 96-99% on medications. In any case, from what I've seen, most RO systems will basically take out 90+% of any water impurities, which is much better than not having them.

But other than that, I'm taking any other measures. Maybe once I'm a rich man, I'll have a way to catch rainwater, then put it through RO, then pipe it into a transparent tank above the roof of my house (to collect photons from the sun), making sure the tank has a magnetic base, and then when I want to drink it, it gets funneled down through a pipe which is shaped such that water passing through it is vortexed on the way down, so that I can clink together a couple of (RO water) ice cubes and enjoy the best water that I can get. :cool:

(All dollar amounts in Aussie dollars of course!)

2. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew .... you aren't concerned about the quality of our water?

What about salts in the water? We should be really concerned about salts I think. What about that wine vortex thing that Dr. K. talked about?

I am confused ...Do you remember Dr. K. saying that he used to chuckle when we were all trying to structure our water ....but isn't that what the vortex thing does?

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Looks like about 36 hours worth of data was lost during the downtime.

As a software developer dealing with large information systems myself, I can't say that the way the site is managed is very good at all, but oh well, that's always the danger of putting stuff on the internet ;)

---

Anyway, to caroline's point above, I gave a response about how we should distinguish EZ water that we drink from EZ water in our cells.

Having lots of EZ water in our cells is obviously the end goal here, and that is achieved largely by having a great redox potential, and avoiding any chronic non-native inflammatory insults (EMF, poor sleep, bright light at the wrong times, etc ...).

Drinking EZ water is obviously great! But I think that drinking good water isn't going to make up for the stress of living on the 17th of an apartment block while being smothered in WiFi Signals.

The next step for me will be to read Pollack's book on water to truly understand the way things actually work. It's being shipped to me at the time of this writing, and I'll be making notes once I get it.

---

Additionally, Jack just made these comments on the Optimal Reset Facebook group:

4. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Current CT Protocol

It being summertime here, I've actually stopped full-immersion style CT. Water temp is just too high (20+C), and I don't have the facilities to make enough ice at the moment.

Hence I'd rather not be sitting in a tub of fluoridated tub of warm water.

Instead, it's been spot CT around the torso using the CoolFatBurner and CoolGutBuster for anywhere from 1 to 2 hours each day. Definitely leaves the entire torso nice and pink afterward, and hopefully that's a decent substitude until autumn time when I can actually get <15C water.

---

Songs of the day:

- 'Modern Meat' by 'Animals as Leaders' => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPx0Lfl-ip4 . Genre: Jazz. Duration: 2 minutes
    - 'Valley of the Damned' by Dragonforce => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAWzLGe7omA . Genre: Power Metal. Duration: 8 minutes

5. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew - Dr. K. talked alot about water on the Q&A yesterday. He is not a fan of a R/O unit at all. I can't get a handle on this at all. I think the problem for him is you would have to keep changing filters and so ups the cost .... and so, in his mind, it is easier to buy it. Waddyathink?

Some one sent me Waltzing Matilda ..... and now it is GONE!

Is all that info retrievable at all????

It is too hard to C/T here in summer .... my tap water is 75+ degrees ....I prefer C/T in winter. I usually get in the tub and put bags of ice on top of me .... but don't like the idea of flouridated water either....Are we splitting hairs?
    Once when I mentioned that - Jack said I was worried about nonsense .... but lately he told someone to put a stock tank in the back yard and fill with R/O water. I need a lot more money!

6. Josh

Josh Gold

A friend who has built water plants and specializes in systems designed my system with the 5 stages of filtration with carbon and fabric down to 0.5 microns and the UV light before the R/O membrane, a ste of 6 round magnets with a hole in the center around the supply tube coming from the tank with the polarity south to north in the direction of the flow to handle homeopathic imprints, another 0.5micron carbon after the tank and then through a basic vortex unit. THe water is nice. My friend says that the main issue is bacteria and particles damaging the membrane. By putting the UV and more robust filtration before the membrane, the mebrane is preserved for much longer.

7. caroline

caroline Moderator

So Josh ... what are you doing for water? So you are saying a counter top unit just doesn't get the job done?

8. Josh

Josh Gold

I doubt you could configure a counter top this way. I have mine under the kitchen sink. I think the parts cost me about 400-500 USD total.

9. caroline

caroline Moderator

Josh - you are saying that a unit that sits under the sink s better than one that just sits on the counter and is attached that way? I don't have enuf room under the sink....

10. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

No way a counter top system is going to beat a good sink installed unit, especially one with UV treatment and vortexing! That setup sounds (and tastes) awesome by the way.

For those interested, the membrane that the unit I linked to is using is the DOW Filtec BW60-1812-75: http://www.wateranywhere.com/produc...d=155&osCsid=5a2fe2e09abf0e80b03dd1ab27e18b19

---

Maybe the situation is different in the US, but even having a counter top system whilst replacing cartridges all the time is way cheaper than trying to buy commercially produced water (5 cents vs 70-80 cents per liter). A lot more convenient too obviously, and now I can make lots of bone broth knowing that at least it's with better quality water.

---

I'm pretty sure that the tradeoff between CT in fluoridated water vs no CT is going to lean toward getting CT done anyway (provided the water is actually cold).

In winter time, I'll definitely go back to lying in my 700L clark rubber swimming pool (basically everything submerged except for your nose and mouth), and then doing some stretching in the garden.

But personally, my preferred winter time CT strategy is taking lots of cold showers through the day, and then standing around doing work on my computer while I air dry (air temps are usually 10-14C). I definitely feel cold, but don't actually shiver too much, and can definitely feel myself put out lots of heat. The net result is that I can actually get stuff done without feeling miserable in the cold.

---

Talking about heat, it's 39C / 102F here in Melbourne right now ...

11. Josh

Josh Gold

The main issue with R/O is keeping the membrane intact. Membranes for smaller outputs (up to 100 gallons per day) are not very large. They can easily fit on a counter top. It is the extra elements housed in 10 inch housings to pretreat the water before it goes in a tank and any post treatment that takes up space. Of course the tank takes up space too. Membranes are also happiest when one runs alot of water through them, so I fill a 2 gallon urn a couple times per day giving my membrane a good long run. My friend actually runs low output membranes continuously into large holding tanks. Ultimately, you would actually need to test the water for dissolved solids and contaminants to see if your membrane was still good. It seems that everything lasts much longer than advertised if used optimally. One can build one's own unit that attaches to the faucet and then just run it overnight to fill a holding container of some sort. I have seen people use an undersink unit without a tank for this and or just buy the parts and hook them up themselves. In america, I use http://www.appliedmembranes.com/ for parts, etc.. I am sure there are sumilar supply houses in Australia.

12. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Good to know. Currently I'm only going through about 10-15L (2.6 - 4 gal) a day, so I'll have to see how the longevity of the membrane holds.

Lots of companies here that get a constant supply of parts from the US, so I could actually get a similar set up to yours if I wanted to (just don't have the right to meddle around with the plumbing for now :p)

---

Just got my copy of 'The Fourth Phase of Water' by Gerald Pollack. Will be giving it a read and making notes as I go. Will probably take me a week to get through though.

---

Songs of the Day:
    - Undertow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGv5FCS2j8 . Duration: 5 min
    - Take Cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DABTnUmyA8 . Duration: 5 min

Both considered Rock n' Roll from 'Mr Big'

13. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Another hot day above 30C / 86F, and again I'm getting these symptoms of slightly reddish skin on my feet and a little swelling.

I've found thought that symptoms decrease in intensity when I'm not eating that much in general. As Jack would say, my problem isn't with electrons, it's with Protons.

It's also on days that I get my ketone levels up to greater than 1.5mM before 12pm (6 hours after waking) that I see the least symptoms. For me, that usually means skipping a big-ass breakfast (BAB), and instead having only some fat (about 500kcal worth) from waking until 12pm.

---

Another problem that is annoying but not seriously pathological is the urge to eat without actually being hungry. I grew up a fat kid, and went through various stages of dieting from age 15-21, so having a weird relationship with food now doesn't surprise me.

I guarantee that I'm still having some lingering neurotransmitter issues which I need to address.

That said, I'm still very easy maintaining weight where I'm at, which is already relatively lean (13-15% body fat). It's when I purposefully cut calories (during experiments described in the last mini-section) that I respond with an urge to eat more stuff.

Also, this urge to eat increases the more creative work I do; the days which I'm absolutely pumped and can easily program computers, draw sketches, and make music all in a 12-hour burst, also tend to be the days which I want to eat the most (and which I have moments where I actively try to suppress it).

A final note is that this urge to eat ALWAYS comes in the first 6-7 hours of waking, and never after 3pm. This related comment by Jack gets me thinking ... http://forum.jackkruse.com/showthread.php?9395-How-I-got-to-here&p=107363#post107363

---

Pollack's book is excellent. VERY approachable even to the layperson. Highly recommended. http://www.amazon.com/The-Fourth-Phase-Water-Beyond/dp/0962689548

---
    Songs of the Day:

- 'Wither' by 'Dream Theater': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-boKk8uhmcY . Genre: Dream Theater!
    - 'Face In The Haze' by 'The American Dollar': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDdwD5FHL30 . Genre: Ambient, Post Rock

14. Grmoline

Grmoline Gold

15. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Definitely! I'll promise to make some notes available once I get the time to finish this book.

---

In the meantime, here's some notes of the comments Jack keeps talking about, which he recently posted on the Hyperlipid blog: http://tanyewwei.com/notes/20140131-nad

Going to give EE12 a good read later today.

16. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Sleep was very good last night -- prolonged lucid dreaming ensued. Must have been the fish eggs I had for dinner. ;)

Fish eggs are pretty cheap and accessible too. I pay maybe $7/kg at the markets. They're only available from about September to Feb though (essentially during the spawning season of your fishing region)

---

Almost finished Pollack's book. Hopefully I'll finish it by the end of next week.

---

Song of the Day:

- 'Desert Dream AKA Uskudar' by Murat Tugsu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3_CoVTktfU . Genre: I guess you could call this Arabic-inspired ambient lounge music.

17. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Felt a little light-headed at 3:30pm today. Hadn't eaten much protein in the morning -- just some cocoa and nuts. Maybe 800-900kcal worth of mostly fat.

Measured my blood ketones at 2.9mM, which is pretty high. That mirrors the experience of Dominic D'agostino in his interview with Ameer Rosic -- http://www.ameerrosic.com/ketogenic-diet-for-weight-loss-brain-performance-and-enhanced-longevity/

Anyway, I just got up and did some squats and felt normal again.

---

Song of the Day:

- 'Eudaimonia Overture' by Paul Gilbert. Genre: Instrumental Rock.

18. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Busy week last week, hence not much health-related reading.

Still making notes on Pollack's Book slowly but surely here: http://tanyewwei.com/notes/4th-phase-of-water

---

Sleep was much better last night that it finally got down to 15C.

That said, I still can't tolerate that temperature sleeping without a blanket. Last night I managed to fall asleep (bed at 10pm) without covering up, but woke up just after 3am, which should put me 5+ hours into sleep, and maybe having gone through 3 sleep cycles. Covered up after that and slept until 6+am.

Air temps in the 15-19C range seem to be the least tolerable for me. My skin remains cold to the touch at that temperature, and I just can't keep my mind off the feeling of cold.

Below that temperature range however, and major goosebumps start setting in, and my body starts to heat up all over (except my hands and feet, which is something I'm trying to fix).

---

Songs of the Day:

- 'Der Ewige Swag' (acoustic version) by Equilibrium. Genre: Folk Metal (the non-acoustic version has growling vocals and other metal-ly goodies)

- 'Time's Scar' from the Chrono Cross Original Sound Tarck. Genre: Video game soundtrack

19. caroline

caroline Moderator

I seem to need a blanket too - I wish I didn't - but I do.....I have to admit tho - I think it is a security thing as well.

20. nicld

nicld Gold

I need to sleep with a cover too even in the heat. I can get away with a sheet in the summer now. I am amazed at how different I am this winter from last winter in regards to the cold. Last year, there were nights I would go to bed with sweatpants and a sweatshirt on, bundled under 2-3 blankets with the house temps above 70F. This year, the thermostat is not even set at 70F and I can sleep with one blanket and shorts and a short sleeve shirt (cannot do naked!!!!). The house gets down to 64 at night now and even with being below 0F for the past 16 days straight in the morning, it is not too bad. Gotta love CT.