1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take It Slow

Discussion in 'My Optimal Journal' started by yewwei.tan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

(The Motivation for the journal title)

Starting a log over here to post random thoughts along the road to optimal. Updates will probably be pretty sporadic.

Current State:

- 22.5yo Male
    - 189cm/6'2'' height, 84+kg/186lbs weight at 13-15% body fat
    - sitting pretty low on the inflammation side

Current Goals:

(1) get back to a lowish body fat percentage and actually stay there

I dieted successfully in 2012, and I would say I want to get back to the leanness that I got in this picture (warning! that's a picture of me in my underwear when I still had dreadlocks :p). I'd think I was just around 10% body fat, and around 79kg/174lbs. I got to that bodyfat percentage and was still feeling great -- deadlifting 180kg, squatting 140+kg, and energy level generally pretty high.

Then I made the mistake of trying to get even leaner than that, and after another 3 months of trying, I ended up 3kg lighter than in the picture and feeling shitty. Judging by pictures, I seem to have lost more lean mass than fat.

This time, I'm getting there mainly through CT and some caloric restriction, while eating a ketogenic Epi-Paleo diet (verified using ketone strips).

(2) Keep mental performance very high

I'm definitely what you can call a knowledge worker, and generally spend 12-14hrs a day doing mental activity of some form.

I already do this on a daily basis by eating a ketogenic diet, getting enough sleep, etc ... I just want to make sure that I maintain this through the entire year.

(3) Avoid recurrence of any AI symptoms

I took a major hit after eating some mystery meat in 2011. Constipated for days, and then started feeling pretty bad for the next few months. That kicked off the whole journey to start fixing my health before it got hold of me.

Symptoms always involved skin redness in the hands and feet, along with constipation. Jack alluded to the next blog hitting on this very topic, so I'm going to study that and give my thoughts.

In any case, I haven't had any flares for about 9 months now, and my labs seem to show that inflammation is pretty low. Let's keep it that way.

(4) Fix some nagging issues

- finger nails getting a little brittle
    - onset of night-time leg cramps in the last 2 months
    - some water retention in my ankles during hot days (doesn't happen if temp is below 30C)

I'm suspecting some form of Iron deficiency here. Some lab tests in October 2013 showed transferrin saturation at 30%, Iron at 19 umol/L, and serum ferritin at 252 ug/L. I took the high serum ferritin to mean that iron was high, and took some measures to drop iron (lactoferrin + 2 blood donation runs). That's when the symptoms started.

In hindsight, when I got that high serum ferritin, my hsCRP was at 0.3mg/L, and total cholesterol was at 220mg/dL, HDL was 104mg/dL, and Trigs was 35mg/dL. I should have taken that a transient marker of localized (or possibly remnant) inflammation, and the appropriate response should have been to wait and see where I was after a couple of months, instead of jump straight into an iron reduction protocol.

For now, I'm just going to throw in a bunch of high iron seafood and red meat to my diet on a regular basis, and then assess in 1-2 months.

(5) Fix any unexpected problems that do arise

You never know what can happen!

---

I'll fill in various details as I make more posts.

---

I like posting links to music that I'm listening to!

Song of the day: 'Druidic Dreams' by Adrian Von Ziegler

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    Tracy Guild likes this.
  2. sooperb

sooperb New Member

Aw, you forgot the photo :) You've reached the site, that's the best step so far.

Mystery meat???? That sure conjures up an image or two! Well done for being wise enough to take yourself in hand now while you have a lifetime of optimal ahead. As I'm at the other end of the scale age-wise I'm hoping to make my remaining years, leaner, fitter and healthier so that I can enjoy them.

3. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

What photo are you referring to :confused:

You've never experienced a culture until you've had their mystery meat. Kinda like jellied eels and meat pie -- I have no clue what could be inside that neon green concoction, but it sure is tasty!

Hope that you have a great path to optimal.

4. sooperb

sooperb New Member

"warning! that's a picture of me in my underwear when I still had dreadlocks"

That picture or was it meant to be purely left to the imagination :)

5. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

6. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

It's just that when viewing through orange or red glasses, the links are practically invisible. ;-)

7. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

That's definitely true!

---

I've been experimenting with Dave Asprey's Upgraded Brain Octane Oil, which is pure C8 MCTs.

Yesterday I had one tablespoon in the morning. I definitely felt a boost compared to regular MCT, even above how I feel during my regular ketotic state (I hover between 1.0mM and 2.5mM on a daily basis).

Today, I had two tablespoons, and at about the hour mark, I was starting to get some tunnel vision and slight light-headedness. I took some basic health metrics:

- Ketones: 4.1mM
    - Blood Glucose: 4.2mmol/L (75mg/dL)
    - Heart Rate Variability: very erratic, bouncing between very good and very bad
    - heart rate: 62 to 75 per min (my usual heart rate is 50 to 60)

Obviously there's such a thing as too much MCT for the brain to handle :rolleyes:

Anyway, obviously Dave Asprey's stuff works. Question is whether it's better per se for my needs, and honestly, I already stay in ketosis without it, so it probably is not needed.

I should ask my Dad to give this a shot (he's eating the Perfect Health Diet), and then test his ketones.

8. caroline

caroline Moderator

Hi yew! Looking forward to your journal .....

9. SeaHorse

SeaHorse Gold

I had a similar experience with the high octane MCT....some racy heart and brain agitation. I tble is max for me now.

10. sooperb

sooperb New Member

I won't be trying it, I have enough palps to contend with lol.

11. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

:D

I should also note that the symptoms faded away pretty fast; 20 minutes later and they were gone.

I also don't seem to get any of these effects from regular MCT oil (which is probably a 40% C8, 60% C10 blend), and can get up to 6 tablespoons a day with no issues. Must have something to do with the rate of ketone formation.

Where I could potentially see it useful is to stay somewhat ketotic in the face of a higher than normal carbohydrate or protein intake. So you'd take it to "curb the damage" of eating a banana out of season. (still don't like bananas)

===

Songs of the Day:
    - 'Te Mato' => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ps3q_DbUw&t=26s
    - 'Luz y Cielo' => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv161ICKFzQ
    Both by Javier Reyes

Genre: instrumental guitar with hispanic, flamenco, and heavy metal influence, this guy has a unique sound.

12. caroline

caroline Moderator

music - nice touch! thanks for sharing.

13. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I like music! I wrote a short blog entry about it not too long ago -- http://scrivle.com/posts/music-is-energy

---

Had some "Bulletproof Hot Chocolate" for breakfast today:

- 2 teaspoons raw cacao (not cocoa!) from the wholesaler I get my raw nuts from (not cheap stuff -- $30/kg)
    - 30+g of butter (Woolies homebrand apparently is grass fed and has the highest CLA content of all butters here -- http://www.optimoz.com.au/blogs/news/6752684-grass-fed-butter-in-australia)
    - 1 tablespoon bulletproof brain octane
    - some sea salt for a flavour boost

---
    Songs of the Day

Starting another 6hour work session, used some tunes to get pumped:

- 'Kalki' by 'ES Posthumus' => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlBDHJEJ_c . Genre: Epic/Orchestral
    - 'Paradigm Shift' by 'Liquid Tension Experiment' => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZXfKrFWF0 . Genre: Instrumental Progressive Rock/Metal

14. caroline

caroline Moderator

Yew .....btw how should I address you properly?

Did you add water or coffee? where do you get the nuts from? What do you think of the High Octane?

The woollies butter is great isn't it! Have you tried the Duck from Aldi?

15. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

Technically my first name is "Yew-wei", but "Yew" is fine as well!

I'm staying away from coffee for now, so it's water for me. I don't use boiling water, but that's just because I want to drink it instantly and not scald my tongue (I don't think that temps below boiling point affect any of the beneficial compounds in chocolate).

Nuts are either from the Royal Nut Company down in Brunswick VIC -- http://www.royalnutcompany.com.au , or from Ross's Nuts down in Preston -- http://rosssqualitynuts.com.au . Both are factory outlets, so the throughput is pretty high and hence the foodstuffs are pretty fresh.

Woolies butter is great, though I'm still being cautious with dairy - no more than 1-2 tablespoons for me right now.

I haven't tried the duck from ALDI. It's one of my favourite meats, but I think I've still got a slight phobia to duck, since that was what I was eating during my last AI flare. That was Cantonese style roast duck though, so it's probably from the soy glaze rather than the duck itself. But you know, us humans are irrational ... :rolleyes:

16. Jude

Jude Gold

Hey Yew, I can tell your journal is going to be very interesting and am looking forward to reading it:eek: Please keep incl all those academic questions you pose(plus some answers) for folk like me! Have looked at the Dave Asprey site re MCT's and am totally warned off that high octane stuff after what you experienced..... don't need anymore of those palps. Obviously you buy it on line? Didn't check out the p&p, was it a bit hefty? Thanks for the note about woollies homeland butter ..didn't know that so will have to shop at woollies now....the sacrifices one has to make!
    About adding sea salt to that good hot choc......does it matter? Did you hear in the last webinair JK said don't add salt to your drinks..salt yr food that ?.. it destructures the water, is that right? Maybe for a fit guy like you, once in a while, it doesn't matter:cool:

17. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

I sure hope my ramblings are interesting to others :D

---

Regarding the Upgraded Brain Octane, I think it's a case of how quickly the ketones are produced in the bloodstream. Today I had 2 tablespoons, but one at 7am, and another at 10+am. Each time I just an energy boost and that was it. No other adverse effects. So it's 2 tablespoons at once that my body can't handle.

I'm sure everyone will have a different effect, so that's something to experiment with.

I did get it online, from http://optimoz.com . Not a cheap buy at all, but I would say it's worth it if you really get a good effect out of it.

I guess this answers caroline's question I forgot to address above.

---

Regarding salt in hot choc, I think that hot chocolate by itself isn't exactly a good way to rehydrate in the first place, and I doubt the addition of some sea salt would make it any worse.

So in my mind, I should just grab a cup of hot chocolate (which is maybe 400mL / 14oz), then get another 500mL of pure water once I'm done with the hot choc. That said, it's pretty easy for me to down a liter of fluid in the morning, which may not be the case for many people.

---

Lots of work done this morning.

Some tunes to celebrate:
    - 'For the Win' by 'Two Steps from Hell' -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_ndy61ON4&t=6s . Genre: cinematic/orchestral
    - 'React' by '3' -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMJkAK6R1k . Genre: psychedelic rock

Time to grab a bike ride in the sun, then come back and read EE12 ....

18. caroline

caroline Moderator

Ee12?????......

19. yewwei.tan

yewwei.tan Gold

20. Sammy

Sammy New Member

Hi Yew-wei,
    What water are you drinking?