1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Take a stab at these labz

Discussion in 'Optimal Labs' started by Matt Wilson, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hey Kruseaders... I’m an athletic 31, 5’10” and 150 lbs and need some help deciphering my WellnessFX Comprehensive labs…

My lifestyle is pretty damn strict, but I am on the computer 5+ hours per day (grounded) and have 15 employees, so there is some stress…. I eat very keto; eggs, fish, avocados, and sauerkraut at most meals. I strength train 3x/week, meditate 30-60min daily, drink R/O, tan my @$$ at 7am every morning, wear my blueblockers, and haven't taken a warm shower in over a year...

I’m a concerned about my Thyroid and hormone panel… T3, Free T3, and IGF1 are a little low, although Testosterone comes in at 1191 ng/dl, Androgen at 520 ug/dL, and SHBG at 60 nmo/L (all high!) Also notable when talking about Thyroid is my Total Iron Binding Capacity is 229 ug/dL (low).

My theory is that low body fat (less than 8%), combined with intermittent fasting, long hours, and lots of travel, has pointed me in the direction of hypothyroidism.... My high levels of testosterone aren't converting into Free Testosterone all that well, and my LargeHDL is low. I'm guessing not enough carbs and calories has put my body into "you're starving mode" instead of "make babies and relax mode"...

This was deduced from listening to Ben Greenfield decipher his own labs + Elle Russ’s Paleo Thyroid Solution, but maybe I’m wrong…

I know this drawing of blood is just a snapshot of this a moment in my life, but any insights on this would be appreciated! Attached are my labs.

Attached Files:

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

For whatever reason I prefer spring water over RO if available.
    If you are in USA get
    Spectracell Micronutrient test.
    highly usefull.

I see the attached file with full width when I set it at 400% magnification.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  3. kris90

kris90 New Member

I think you've identified the problem. Your body is in starvation mode.

I actually just recently discovered this myself after battling hypogonadism for several years in addition to having high TSH levels. I think ketosis is meant for mammals who are carrying a lot of fat. Trying to do the ketosis/cold adaptation when you are already lean seems to never end well atleast in my experience. IMO, this superhuman fat burning/heat generating ability of the cold adapted pathway can't work its magic in absence of excess body fat. Works wonders for diabetics or others with metabolic syndrome, but not lean, ripped guys.

I think aside from light, glucose status is one of the driving factors that determine whether we are in "rest/digest" or "fight/flight". If you don't have much bodyfat, you need a constant supply of glucose, and exogenous is preferential. Why? Because there's too little triglycerides in adipose tissue to provide glucose substrate for the body, so bodily tissue (i.e. muscle, bone) gets broken down for glucose through the action of cortisol.

Since I stopped counting calories, and focused on eating as much quality food as possible with a macronutrient ratio somewhere around 40% Fat/40% Carbs/20% Protein. I'm eating a ton of sugar from fruits, honey, cane sugar, chocolate, ice cream, and my fats are mostly saturated from animal sources, butter and coconut oil. I've limited my PUFA intake to below 10g per day, I've been feeling like a million bux after just 2 short weeks.

OptimalSkr and Matt Wilson like this.
  4. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hey Kris90, thanks for this. I'm a two weeks into eat more carbs and I feel pretty good. Not surprisingly, I've seen improvements in the gym and have visibly gained bodyfat. I want my IGF1 and Thrydoid to be more optimal, and my testosterone to convert better. I think more calories will do the trick.

I didn't have high cortisol in this set of labs, but with IGF1 low, it makes sense that my body needs more carbs for insulin production.

I'd be thrilled to know what anyone else thinks about my labs. Thanks!

kris90 likes this.
  5. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Nice analysis.

How to raise GH (naturally)?
    DHEA-S DHEA Sulfate (androgen) 520 μg/dL 106-464 Quest (is this natural?)
    ---------------------
    athletic 31, 5’10” and 150 lbs
    12/20/16 Weight Your weight 150 pounds
    12/20/16 Body Mass Index Measure of weight to height 21.5 Kg/m2 (BMI with larger amount of muscles does not work well, what is your body fat??)
    2/6/17 Glucose Blood Sugar 81 mg/dL 65-99 Quest
    2/6/17 Insulin Blood sugar storage hormone < 1.0 mIU/L 2.0-19.6 Quest
    2/6/17 Triglycerides Type of Fat 49 mg/dL <150 Quest
    http://imageshack.com/a/img923/8990/1lgPIx.jpg

kris90 likes this.
  6. kris90

kris90 New Member

Let's keep each other posted on progress. I'm going back for bloodwork in probably 3-4 weeks from now, so hopefully all this refeeding helps my hormonal profile.

Another important note, is perhaps take some rest from the gym, and stop doing CT if you are. They are both stressors, and we are trying to "refeed" and de-stress our body so our thyroid and sex hormones can recover. Focus on eating, sleeping, going for walks outside, and not much else. The meditation is great as well. Focus on breathing and clearing your mind.

Antonis and Matt Wilson like this.
  7. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

My androgen, yes, is natural, I'm not taking steroids... but I'm also afraid it's too high and I might be hairline could be receding a little. I also have (correction: HIGH) SHBG. (symptoms of androgenic alopecia) I'm not sure of my bodyfat but I'd guess 6-8%...

I'm hoping that more carbs and calories help me produce more IGF1... maybe my androgen will come down if I'm not in fight or flight starvation mode? I feel like I'm very close to a good solution to this puzzle, or at least fully being able to conceptualize and explain the science.

Here is a great article on increasing IGF1 which talks about calories // not fasting https://selfhacked.com/2016/03/17/the-truth-about-igf-1-top-10-benefits-and-potential-drawbacks/

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  8. JanSz

JanSz Gold

DHEA-S DHEA Sulfate (androgen) 520 μg/dL 106-464 Quest (is this natural?)
    @Matt Wilson

9. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Yes my androgen levels are natural. I'm sure I could find some in the pharmacy here in Costa Rica, but I definitely don't need it.

10. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Nice article on IGF-1. (Have to read the rest of it).
    My 2c
    I would argue (only a little) about GH--->cancer connection.
    My 78yo friend, (near) of end stages of prostate cancer.
    Unchecked his testosterone raises to 1000ng/dl.
    End stage is when cancer cells are able to make its own testosterone,
    he is not there yet, but had metastasis that was gamma knife radiated.
    While trying lots of hacks, it was easy for him to try GH (his son uses it)
    Immediately he saw sharp raise in PSA. So hi stopped GH.
    Me. 77yo. 10 years ago had a surgery in my left thigh.
    Liposarcoma.
    After surgery had yearly doctors examinations (just by his touch).
    Now told to come in 3 years.
    Tried GH, see no effect with small doses.
    Unfortunately, thanks to Obama Care I have lost a doctor who was willing to prescribe it to me.
    My current observation:
    Yes, GH should not be used in some cancers,
    but
    it is too valuable tool,
    to not make serious evaluation about its use.
    There is a chance,
    that similarly to testosterone
    in the right situation
    its use may prevent development of disease.

===================================================
    @Matt Wilson
    You have some items that are not usually seen.
    Natural very high Total Testosterone
    Natural very high DHEAs
    Natural very low GH
    Natural very high SHBG
    Likely you have high Androstenedione since DHEAs-->DHEA-->Androstenedione-->Estrone

You are very lean, little fat.
    Aromatase enzyme that is mostly in the fat, converts
    Testosterone--->Estradiol (E2=30pg/mL ok)
    Androstenedione>Estrone
    Presence of estrogens gives raise to SHBG
    presence of testosterone lovers SHBG
    since
    you have little fat, likely your estrogens are low and then I have to wonder why your SHBG is high, it does not look like it is from excessive estrogens. Something else. SHBG is made in the liver (and little bit in testicles)
    But check
    estrone
    Total Estrogens

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

12. kris90

kris90 New Member

13. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Okay, my brain is hurting as Jack would say but i think i've got it... @kris90 thanks for the article on starvation and High SHBG, this makes sense.

I have High DHEA but HIGH SHBG. Usually in pattern hair loss this is inverse (low SHBG).

This article tells me when SHBG is high, Testosterone doesn't convert well to Free T (seen in my labs) AND it can hurt your liver. Sure enough, my ALT is a little high, so calorie restriction // high SHBG may be hurting my liver! "Alanine Aminotransferase, or ALT, is an enzyme in liver cells, similar to AST or ALP. Liver damage or disease causes a release of ALT from the liver cells, increasing the amount in the blood." according to wellnessfx. Thanks for breaking this down @JanSz

Time to eat...!

14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Testosterone doesn't convert well to Free T (seen in my labs)

Wrong conclusion.
    Or at least not how it works.
    ===================================
    Available testosterone is divided into three parts.

1. Strongly bound testosterone (attached to SHBG)
    2. Weakly bound testosterone (attached to Albumin)
    3. Remaining testosterone, (Free Testosterone)

When testosterone activity is considered it is assumed that it is due to
    (Free plus weakly bound) testosterone

https://www.labcorp.com/test-menu/35486/testosterone-free-and-weakly-bound
    Testosterone, Free and Weakly Bound

Free and weakly bound testosterone (FWBT),
    also referred to as bioavailable testosterone,
    is thought to reflect an individual's biologically active,
    circulating testosterone.
    FWBT includes free testosterone and testosterone that is bound to albumin.
    FWBT does not include sex hormone binding globulin-bound testosterone.
    The SHBG-bound fraction is biologically inactive because of the high binding affinity of SHBG for testosterone.
    The rapid dissociation of “weakly bound” testosterone from albumin results in the availability of essentially all albumin-bound testosterone for steroid-receptor interaction.1
    -----------------

IIRC, to disassociate testosterone from SHBG it takes 30-40 minutes
    (could use better info)

=================================================

15. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson New Member

Hey Kris, this doc who I found via Dr. Mercola lays out nicely around the 18 minute mark that it's actually quite healthy if you are burning fat but your thyroid labs are a little off. He says its a great way to live. Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=Yv-M-5-s9B0

16. kris90

kris90 New Member

Antonis likes this.
  17. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

I think if you are very lean around 8% bf or less then you have high SHBG.

18. kris90

kris90 New Member

I have heard that high adiponectin levels can lead to elevations in SHBG. I think that's why I had such high SHBG, dunno, haven't actually figured that out.

My latest T levels are now 33 nmol/l with Free T of 661 pmol/l so it looks like my SHBG is now 45 nmol/l, down from 70+

Antonis likes this.
  19. Antonis

Antonis Free diving

Yee it might be cuz mine last year was 48 nmo/l and now after gaining a bit fat is down to 44.

20. Macknumber9

Macknumber9 New Member

Shbg binds strongest to DHT....could perhaps be that you are a high DHT converter which would explain the receding hairline...

I personally would take the high DHT levels over worrying about losing your hair...

I would get DHT checked....and check overall health of liver...do you have a history of drug/alcohol abuse? Or possibly been diagnosed with non alcoholic fatty liver?

It seems like your free t is a little low for how much total t you have but really not that bad seeing how high your shbg is which tells me that good possibility you are in fact a naturally high DHT converter...do you have hairy legs? I know kinda weird but dht is correlated with leg hair...