1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Swimmers

Discussion in 'Optimal Fitness' started by John G, Jul 18, 2017.

1. John G

John G New Member

https://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/08/04/how-swimming-reduces-depression/

Any other swimmers here who agree? I agree with this article; compared to running, the end of a swim always leaves me feeling euphoric and free. I think it's a combination of low-impact exercise and breathing patterns. The most common breathing pattern in swimming is to breathe every 3rd stroke. I mix it up with 3,5,7,9. When you push of the wall and do underwater dolphin kicks you hold your breath for 5-15 seconds. You can even simply do underwater 25-50 yard streamline dolphin kicks. What's the science here?

I went on vacation recently and was able to do some ocean swimming in cold water. Very exhilarating as a life-long lap swimmer (and slightly terrifying due to murky waters ). My skin always feels fresh compared to the harshness of a chlorinated pool.

2. Penny

Penny New Member

I've been swimming in the ocean quite regularly - it's a total high:) Way better than the pool - in fact, I always had trouble when they wouldn't let you breathe every stroke in a pool but I can go 15 or more strokes in the ocean and not care:) In fact, I'm going again in another hour:)

3. John G

John G New Member

I'm Jelly. :p Beach is 1.5 hours away. I plan to move to a coastal town one day; somewhere the water is cold and the sun is bright. :rofl:

4. harmony

harmony Harmony makes things grow lack of it things decay

Swimming is always beneficial for me and mostly I can get to the ocean to do so. A little concerned about the next few weeks as we are going to Bali for a holiday and there'll be a beautiful but chlorinated swimming pool right by the door and the people I'm going with will all be happily splashing around in it, while I'm worrying that the chlorine isn't doing me any favours - or the temperature. Hopefully I can convince some people to join me on the beach for swims to lessen exposure! Excited to have a holiday though - maybe enjoyment endorphins will balance out the environment negatives.

5. JuicerMoz

JuicerMoz New Member

Swimming is always good for health. I have been swimming regularly from my childhood.

Danco3636 likes this.
  6. BigSkinny

BigSkinny New Member

Can ct be done in the ocean or a pool? Does moving in cold water defeat the purpose due to muscle heat?

7. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

That's probably the best way to do CT; cold river or sea.

Moving around does not defeat the purpose no, it might even yield faster results.

8. BigSkinny

BigSkinny New Member

I am in San Diego, will 60-70 degree water be sufficient?

9. WalterNL

WalterNL New Member

That's fine, especially if you move around in the water since that increases heat loss.

I believe the CT guide says 50 to 55 F is optimal, but all cooling is good to begin with.

BigSkinny likes this.