1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Super Slow is working Super Awesome !!!

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by PaleoMom, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

Unlike the many hard core CT's on this forum, I'm a wuss when it come to cold water. Funny since I keep the house cooler than most, my bedroom is about 50 and I don't overdress outside, but water? I'm a wuss.

Soooo, I've started a super slow approach that is working quite nicely. I did face dunks and tons of ice packs with no problem, but trying the baths and showers was brutal. I decided that in only 1 month I could lower the water temp by a single degree daily and reach my goal. Day 1- 80 degrees, day 2- 79 deg. etc..... Today was 72 deg. (1 hour baths)

What I've noticed. First day I was shivering like mad in 80 deg water (sad, I know) but by even the second day I couldn't believe how much more comfortable it was. Each day I go down a degree and yet it always feels warmer than the day before! Amazing!

I'm often doing more spot CT in bed after the bath too for another hour. I'm feeling warmer during the day, burning up at night and often sleeping with no sheet or just a sheet at night even in our cold bedroom.

Just thought I'd share to help out anyone else like me who wants to do this but just can't jump right into 55 or lower degree water. I'm still getting the signs of getting cold adapted, and like I said earlier, it will only take a month to get painlessly down to 50 deg.

The only negative I've noticed is daytime fatigue, needing more sleep and not feeling rested on waking (all things that were awesome for me before CT)

2. Adria

Adria New Member

Great to hear, Paleomom! I'm also going my own slow route with CT. I'm up to 20min in the cold bath 55 degrees at CT wk#5. But seeing benefits already !!

3. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

How are you decreasing and measuring the water? My amazon.com thermogun seems to be measuring the tub, not the water, so I can only go with the measurement after sitting in the water a long while, when the tub has cooled down to match the water.

4. differentstory

differentstory New Member

This WAS going to be my plan too, but my opinion is that it was so much easier to just go whole hog and drop the temp down. I started at 80 and it was brutal. Did that a few times. Went to 60 and it was brutal. 3 days of that and I was fine. Now the water fluctuates anywhere between 50 and 60 and I don't really notice. Just my opinion.

5. donkjellberg

donkjellberg Silver

Keep it up PaleoMom; whatever works, works. I am transitioning too and it gets easier. You can get there but I am finding it takes patience and persistence. I listen to my body more these days and that helps with more successes than losses.

6. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I'm using a thermometer made for putting in the fridge and freezer. I wasn't sure it was even water safe, but seems to be doing fine. It is slow to adjust though, so that can be challenging. It works fine though for me and it won't be long before I just go full cold and don't think about it.

7. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

I'm just such a comfort person and non adrenaline junkie! It's great to find an easy way to do this without feeling like I'm torturing myself. I have patience and I've got plenty of time to cold adapt before the local lake is ready for swimming (they raise the water level in May)

8. primat

primat Silver

[​IMG]

7.9c/44.2f - both a tool AND something to play with while doing CT :)

9. differentstory

differentstory New Member

LOL! I have one of these too!

10. MamaGrok

MamaGrok New Member

Primat - that goes down to 44? I would have imagined those wouldn't go below about 65! Thanks!

11. primat

primat Silver

Yeah, the one I got has been as low as 6c/~43f - and it matches my IR thermometer almost to the decimal. Guess there are multiple types of those ducks so your experience may vary

12. agatha

agatha New Member

MamaGrok, I looked for bath thermometers on Amazon and got the cheapest one I could find - about 3 dollars - it floats in the water but it's not as fun as the duck shaped ones above.

13. If you go to Walmart or Target, in the pool supply section, you can get a pool thermometer for about 9 dollars. Made for water, works very well!

14. Mikey7

Mikey7 New Member

Thanks you!

15. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

I want one. where did you get that and does it go down to 50?

16. Arthur Morris

Arthur Morris New Member

A good pool thermometer works great. Individual units might might fluctuate by a degree or two. They are about $14 at any pool supply store.