1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sunlight harmful when dehydrated?

Discussion in 'The New Monster Thread' started by seanb4, May 22, 2017.

1. Lahelada

Lahelada New Member

I told this story before but the Kontiki expedition forgot their prototype sunscreen (the expedition was in the 80s and they had been asked to test it)and remembered while already on the high sea. They were desperate and decided to use the fat from salami which they had brought. Problem solved,no burns.

Sue-UK and drezy like this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Somebody, hurry up, give those guys some sunscreen.

upload_2017-7-5_8-56-56.png

drezy likes this.
  3. JanSz

JanSz Gold

In 1945-1970 my parents had a farm.
    It was very small farm, few cows, no silo.
    No sign of silo anywhere I would go.
    Their and all other farmers were producing
    cheese and butter that would spoil readily.
    It was west side of Poland. The land there was freshly taken from Germany after WWII.
    So, it was relatively "high tech" farm, specially the commercial fertilizers.
    Crops were grown every year on all arable land.
    Way back in the old place (current Ukraine), life on a farm was even simpler.
    Cow manure or fermented urine as the only fertilizer. (Not sure about urine).
    Every year a third of land was left to rest.

Progress

Crohn's, IBS, sick gut in return.

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

5. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I think to behave well, membranes must be able to respond to the environment they face. Like squirrels https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/understanding-hibernation/. :D

Butter does go off in heat, which is why I think boiled butter/ghee became popular as a way of preserving it. I make my own ghee, and if I use it as a sun cream, it reacts with the proteins etc in my skin and the residue that gets on my tan through does cause a rotten butter smell after a while. I'm in and out of water a lot so it doesn't affect me, and the tan through just gets washed anyway. :)

6. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Butyric acid is a fat.
    But I suspect that large part of it may be removed by taking out proteins while making ghee.
    (That may be the reason why ghee does not spoil.)

Likely that is verifiable.
    I think I may have butter and ghee fatty acids content, somewhere on this thread:

https://forum.jackkruse.com/index.php?threads/low-cortisol-levels.14194/page-73

7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

8. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

I put a block of bog standard non salted butter in a very small saucepan on the stove on the lowest heat, and leave it for up to 8 hours, then strain it to remove the non-fat bits that have separated and risen to the top. Half a teaspoon will do my solar panels, warmed if its cold, cold if the weather is hot. The butter packet doesn't say its from grass fed, and its not organic, but in the context of shit from a shovel, it doesn't seem to matter. My n=1 is that sufficient natural light can work with minimal amounts on my skin surface. Its less about the amounts of individual components of the ghee, more about the non linear effects of light's interactions with it on the skin surface. It all goes back to light .... and later that will change to light levels dropping and the then dominant effects of cold. I might then switch to butter. :)

seanb4 likes this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Indya_Gage
    thinks that Alzheimer and dementia patients benefit from butyric acid.

But possibly they have those problems due to chronic low content of butyric acid in food.
    That low content is due to farming practices.

https://www.paleohacks.com/ghee/butter-vs-ghee-1940

Since we are beginning to treat Alzheimer and dementia patients with ghee, even here in the West, because of the butyric acid in ghee which feeds nerve and brain tissue, and reverses the damaging affects of the disease,

10. Penny

Penny New Member

Wow - that was kinda complicated - I just eat butter - from France - and if I need a "suntan" lotion, I spray epsom salts and water on my skin - I think it would even work if one ate 1/2 tsp of magnesium sulfate... I'm lucky, the sun always shines where I live -

11. Sue-UK

Sue-UK Gold

My Mum and maternal grandmother both had dementia, so http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394016300775 Butyrate, neuroepigenetics and the gut microbiome: Can a high fiber diet improve brain health? interested me. Not for the high fibre bit necessarily but the gut surface microbiome. I think of the gut as the human portable root system. If a plant can't get what it needs from the environment or soil, or form symbiotic relationships, it either adapts or dies off. Some adapt by becoming insectivore, carnivore, or parasitic. So I sort of think of it that humans do something similar, depending on the environment they face. In some latitudes, a diet that includes a fair bit of plants could provide the raw materials for the gut microbiome to make it, perhaps even exclusively, (unless something else has screwed/is screwing up the microbiome). In other latitudes we can get it from plant or animal sources, depending on seasonal availability. So at my latitude I do a bit of both. I crave ghee much more from late autumn to spring. Because of my risk factor from my maternal side, I also would only take antibiotics as a very last resort, and I deliberately drink well water rather than "purer" sources, and avoid chlorinated water as much as possible, to help diversify and protect my microbiome. I think considering the gut as a "root system" surface linked to the other surfaces and the environment is a safer long term strategy than worrying about farming practices, or getting on the supplement bandwagon again on the off chance it might stop me developing AD. :)

drezy likes this.
  12. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Why did it work: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/136/1/83?download=true

Sue-UK likes this.
  13. Rela

Rela New Member

It reminds me of my childhood back in India.... Mothers and grandmothers used to massage babies with ghee in the sun. They didn't know of any science behind it. Historic practices are are always scientific

Saichi and Sue-UK like this.
  14. Gina R

Gina R New Member

Did you go???