1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sunflower Greens and Bacon

Discussion in 'Epi-Paleo Recipes' started by GlenPDQ, Mar 29, 2013.

1. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

Anybody tried growing sunflower greens? Can sunflower greens be steamed or should they be eaten raw?
    Apparently safflower greens can be grown the same way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFebyipOhTQ

How about the Sunday Bacon by Applegate Farms? Supposed to have no hormones/antibiotics and no artificial ingredients or preservatives. The product locator says Super 1 Foods and Brookshires carries their products. Gonna look tomorrow for the bacon.

2. janagram

janagram New Member

that bacon is good....we like
    pederson bacon also.

3. Inger

Inger Silver

I think it is not too hard, you just need to make sure the seeds are raw or they will not sprout. You need to soak them first too. I think I made them once many years ago. I always ate the sprouts raw, when I got some. They are delish and crispy!
    I never cook anything if not necessary but I think you know that. I am quite sure they lose in taste when cooked. I have not had some for years tho... I prefer wild greens now. Way easier and cheaper..:) Greens needs sunlight to get really healthy so if you sprout some try to put them out in the sun/daylight after they have sprouted, to grow and get green. I bet it makes them healthier!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. endless

endless New Member

Use them raw...they are great in salads!

5. Jonathin

Jonathin Gold Member

I've grown sunflower greens for years during the winter. Soak the unshelled seeds overnight then grow them on about an inch of composted soil on some sort of tray or dish. Keep them out of direct light until the cotyledons are somewhat open then give them a day or two of sunshine. Harvest and store in ziplock bag. Tasty as a finger food with a hardy meal.

6. GlenPDQ

GlenPDQ New Member

Thanks for the tips, everybody.