1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sun with Carbs

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by cap, Nov 12, 2018.

1. cap

cap New Member

could anyone here link good research showing

1. the improvement of Carb metabolism/partitioning through sun exposure?
    2. The sun burning calories

Thank you

victor_dan likes this.
  2. drezy

drezy Gold

How is this for a start?

"A study in the September 2006 issue of Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology demonstrated that in young and elderly adults, serum 25(OH)D was inversely correlated with blood glucose concentrations and insulin resistance. Some studies have demonstrated high prevalence of low vitamin D levels in people with type 2 diabetes, although it is not clear whether this is a cause of the disease or an effect of another causative factor—for example, lower levels of physical activity (in this case, outdoor activity in particular)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2290997/

Brent Patrick likes this.
  3. cap

cap New Member

Thank you for the response drezy. It's interesting but it doesn't show whether low levels of sun exposure or (low levels of vitamin D in this case) are the "cause or an effect of another causative factor"...basically this could be just from not exercising enough. I also am particularly looking for sun exposure not just vitamin D levels as that could be supplemented and by default low vitamin D levels will create an unhealthy environment, I don't think anyone is debating that

4. drezy

drezy Gold

I think your closest link will end up in the insulin & leptin corner:

"We observed that chronic exposure to UVR suppressed weight gain and the development of glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and signs of NAFLD in C57BL/6J male mice fed a high fat diet"

"Ongoing artificial sunlight (UVR) “ameliorated hepatocyte apoptosis, inflammation, fibrosis, and insulin/leptin resistance” when administered for 12 h a day for 6–12 weeks to rats compared to untreated controls"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5086738/

Enough keyword searches and you'll probably be able to scrape something more substantial together along with come of the references of the article.

Anecdotally, sun exposure helps me reduce the amount I eat moreso than burning calories as far as I can tell.

5. cap

cap New Member

Ithnx drezy, 'll keep looking. was hoping to find something on humans.

victor_dan likes this.
  6. victor_dan

victor_dan New Member

Hmmm....... Sun does not burn calories in any way!
    Heat makes the body cool down so there is no carb-consuming process..
    Sun exposure is great to produce Vitamin D if you eat milk products. I think it's enough to expose your hands for 30 minutes a day. So Calcium metabolizes properly.
    The heat from the Sun will make your body stock more fatty layers because: the temporary glucose deposit (liver) will not consume on its own.