1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sun Colour Temperature

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by Sajid Mahmood, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Sajid Mahmood

Sajid Mahmood Administrator

Hi Dr Jack Kruse,

The Colour temperature of sunrise is 1600 K - 1800 K, solar noon is 5500 K - 5700 K and sunsets are 16,000 K.

Sunsets have a much higher colour temperature than sunrise and solar noon, does that mean Sunsets are more stronger in blue wavelengths when compared to sunrise and solar noon?

Thank You

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Brent Patrick and John Nicholas like this.
  2. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

yes. ThAT IS the target of the melanopsin receptor 435-465nm dominates the last hour of sun in a day and this is a crescendo stimulus and then it falls immediately to zero K and when that happens the clock of melatonin release in pineal begins.

3. Forest

Forest Gold

Is there a chart that shows all this K at times of the day with the colors distributions that show up at different times.

Also when are the best times to do blue lit work if necessary

4. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Yes. In the patreon blogs and some blogs on posts.

5. Forest

Forest Gold

Which one has the amount of each color someone?

6. drezy

drezy New Member

"amount of each color" is a simplification that could be a little dangerous if applied incorrectly.

If you want to try that trick your location will matter. Look at the materials in the blogs and note roughly when blue maxes out.

7. drezy

drezy New Member

If you want to calculate it though this is a place to start with some math:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planckian_locus

You'd just be calculating backwards from chromaticity.

Even if you don't like math it's still pretty to look at.

[​IMG]

Sajid Mahmood likes this.
  8. drezy

drezy New Member

Also: Note that even all that only accounts for the visible light spectrum not daily changes in UV or not IR.

9. DLO

DLO StarFish

Anyone got a link to that image jacks posted in the time of day in relation to the color temp?

10. drezy

drezy New Member

11. Sajid Mahmood

If i’m not mistaken, I'm quite sure that chart illustraites that the colour temperature of the sun is highest at solar noon. Which would obviously be incorrect.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  12. drezy

drezy New Member

13. drezy

drezy New Member

Sajid, it's like midnight in the UK now. I just called Lady Crawley and she's coming to vent disdain at you until you get to sleep:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  14. Sajid Mahmood

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  15. drezy

drezy New Member

16. Sajid Mahmood

17. drezy

drezy New Member

You'd be just fine. I just really dig the science and the way human monkeys (me included for sure) use it selectively.

Check this out. I could make a youtube product pitch where I slap a lab coat on, package the above information, show a little of the linear algebra (to show my math chops), and convince you that my LED array with the most reduced flicker on the market tracks your specific location's sunny day color temperature better than any other existing product.

That all sounds good, right?

Aside from the fact that all this would be based on imperfect models, you could really torpedo me with what's written Reality 12 and certainly with the ebigger implications of what's implied there:

https://jackkruse.com/reality-12-dopamine-blinds-us-from-natures-fractal-fabric/

The amount being said there is big. The amount possibly being implied there is enormous.

Look at this:

spectral_sun.jpg
    Look at this:
    [​IMG]

And look at this:
    [​IMG]

What's the gene without the sequence and what the music without the interval? At best any man made light could only approach music without the interval and I could say "What's wrong, all the notes were played..."

18. Sajid Mahmood

Once the sun has set, how long does it approximately take for the colour temperature to drop down to Zero K? Instantly, approximately 30 mins, 45 mins, or hour

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  19. Sue-UK

Sue-UK New Member

I am wondering if it relates to the solar elevations at civil, nautical and astronomical twilights. Peaking at the end of nautical, - 12? :confused:

upload_2018-8-28_10-45-8.png

How quickly it moves from sunset to darkness probably varies by latitude and season, but from https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/uk/london, today in London sunset is at 19.55 and the end of nautical twilight is 21.14.

drezy and Sajid Mahmood like this.
  20. Sajid Mahmood

Thanks @Sue for the input! You’re absolutely correct. I totally agree, It definitely varies according to longitude, Latitude and season

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018