1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sun and Skin

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by Tfreeman, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Tfreeman

Tfreeman Gold

With the continuous movement into getting our bodies back into the sun as much as possible (as our ancestors did), how do we avoid initial burning and keep our skin consistently ready? I’ve read a few supplements like asthaxanthin and foods high in it, I assume foods high in DHA. What are some other suggestions and ideas?

2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Use gradual, over one month, to gradually build sunlight callous.
    Keep that process in mind for the rest of your life.
    It is easy to lose sunlight callous.
    Repeat the above process after a prolonged absence of sunlight.

3. Saichi

Saichi New Member

You can be eating the perfect paleo diet but if your daily microwave exposure is above a certain threshold which is different for everyone you'll burn under the sun. Only way to find out is to do it.

4. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

So how do we avoid skin cancer? I live in Australia & try to get as much sun as possible. Know of quite a few older people that have to keep having spots removed. One guy in his 70's who never wore a shirt when he worked, has had heaps taken off this face & back. My father who is 89 has had them off his face, leg & hands.

ElectricUniverse likes this.
  5. caroline

caroline Moderator

I have just had to have a spot frozen off. First time ever so I consider myself lucky. It was only a surface thing. The Doc did not say to stay out of the sun ....I thought he would have for sure! I purposely asked him if I could still go in the ocean and he said Sure!

We are mostly and consistently outside from about 5:30 am until about 10:30 -11:00am. We would not stay in direct sun for very long on a really hot day without covering up to some degree.

I am guessing that it is inevitable to get some sun damage as we age????

6. Jenny S

Jenny S Gold

Yes don't know. Wonder if some is related to EMF fake light etc. Did people get skin cancer 100 years ago or more? Else could be that a lot of us in Oz have some sort of UK heritage in us?

ElectricUniverse and caroline like this.
  7. Danica

Danica Gold

Interestingly, on a very hot day recently (I think it was 36C) in Sydney, our whole family (3 kids) were out from 9am until 1.30pm and no one (except my husband who does not follow JK's stuff) got sunburned - no sunscreen, sunglasses or hats. We were in and out of the water so I would have expected us to get sunburned at least when in the water. The kids and I have been out with sunrise for the past 6 months and I try to keep the kids out for at least 1-2 hours in the early morning sun.

With the spots on the skin, interestingly, one quite large one that I had behind my knee for years and have been worried about it, has just literaly come off! All of it by itself! It was at the end of a very cloudy day and I was out most of the day in kiniki (so lot of red light). I don't know if it was accumulation of being in the sun for months now for as long as I can or the red light from the cloudy day or the effect of a magnetico pad that I got recently from Jenny.. which I have used only for a few nights then. Or maybe I was just lucky?...

Jack has said previously that being out in the middle of the day when it's cloudy is ok in Australia. Not sure if the same applies if there are no clouds but I know that my vitiligo improves when I am out at and after noon.. so in the strongest sun. I don't know long term effects of this though...

caroline likes this.
  8. caroline

caroline Moderator

I really think that we have to use our best judgement. I don't wear a hat or sunglasses or sunscreen and I don't get burnt.
    The odd time we will get quite pink if we are out later when it is really hot... but we will be fine the next day ...but....we have a great sun callous.

9. ElectricUniverse

ElectricUniverse New Member

Only time will tell if this crowd will experience more or less skin cancers and photo aging in the sun than the rest of the pack (average person).

Certainly, the solar callous thing is real and confers a lot of protection against skin damage.

However, I seriously doubt it is a magic bullet to ward off all skin harm that might result from daily high exposure to the sun, especially for fair-skinned folks.

Like I said, time will tell, and N always = 1.

10. Inger

Inger Silver

I have had a tiny spot(about 2x2mm) on my forehead at the hairline for more than a year. It was kind of flaky, almost skin color but a tick darker. So I started to wonder why it never goes away. I know at my waitress work there is an antenna right above my head for the "orderman" tablets that my coworkers use, and it has very strong RF radiation, and unfortunately I have to stand there when I type in orders from the guests getting blasted from that evil thing. So I guess that might have contributed to the issue. I googled away.. and I read about using H2O2 for precancerous skin lesions (and even skin cancer! Cancer cells cant grow in oxygen, and H2O2 is oxygen) and decided to give it a try. So after putting on 3,5% food grade H2O2 for a couple weeks, every day at least 2 times, it has now about completely disappeared, I can hardly find the spot! First it got a little more flaky and now it has all healed.

Same with the white spots on my back. I have those from birth on in between my shoulder blades. Those spots have burned so many times as a kid.. and as an adult I always try to be careful and cover them up after a while of sun but sometimes they still have burned though. I do am amazed how much sun they tolerate, even if they have zero pigmentation.
    But as one could await, the skin do will get stressed out after too much burning. So this summer I realized the skin had gone a little rough at those spots. I used coconut oil and also aloe vera on them but the dryness did not go away, in fact it increased. So I thought..hmm.. must be some mutation going on. So I decided - before doing anything else, to try the H2O2 on the spots too. And the same thing happened, it have made it way way better!
    Wow.... if the cure is so easy... just put on some H2O2.. and no need for a dermatologist or freezing anything off, isnt that awesome??

Just wanted to share with you guys :)

I believe when stressors like nnEMF and fake light is all around, it might be hard to avoid damage in some cases, at least if we have to work a lot and also spend time in front of screens....
    What we can do is to do all we can to limit it, and if some damage has occures, how can we naturally help it heal again?
    I also very much believe that when we eat right, naturally how we are supposed to, it really helps our skin be more resistant. And not use any sunscreen of course. It just can not be the solution.
    If I get trouble with my skin, I do not blame the sun for it, there are other factors to check on that is way up my list.

11. caroline

caroline Moderator

great thoughts Inger. My precancerous thing was being my ear ......so not in direct sun really. I don't wear a hat tho but my hair somewhat covers the spot.

12. ElectricUniverse

Straying a bit off this thread's discussion, but very interesting nonetheless, is gender difference in skin pigmentation.

According to a fairly recent oped article in Pigment International (a journal for professionals in pigmentary disorders field):

"Men and women are not born with different skin colors. It has been observed that adult human females are consistently lighter in skin pigmentation than males in the same population.[5] This form of sexual dimorphism is due to the requirement in human females for high amounts of calcium during pregnancy and lactation. Natural selection has led to females with lighter skin than males in all indigenous populations because women must get enough vitamin D and calcium to support the development of the fetus and nursing infant and to maintain their own health.[6]"

Article goes on to talk about gender and pigmentary disorders:

"Gender difference is also present in incidence of hyperpigmentary disorders. Melasma is a frequently observed facial hypermelanosis of light to dark brown color. It is common in women and dark skinned patients of Hispanic, Asian, and African origin. In Caucasians, only 10% males are affected. This could perhaps attributed to the effect that hormonal factor do not hold a causative significance in men. However, in an Indian study, 25 to 83% males were affected. In men, the malar pattern is more common than the centrofacial and mandibular patterns.[10] Sunlight was the major incriminating factor as majority of the patients were outdoor workers, reporting exacerbation on sun exposure."

I can draw upon my personal observations that untanned women generally have lighter skin than males, and this is probably true in most populations (African or tropical negroids may be an exception, I don't know).

Ancient historical artwork of humans seems to bear this observation out. For example, it seems most ancient Egyptian statues and paintings depict women in lighter skin complexions than their male counterparts. Some of this difference may be due to men working outside more, but is probably a very minor factor. Both sexes by necessity were probably outside most of the day.

upload_2020-1-17_9-50-37.png

Sheddie likes this.
  13. Inger

Inger Silver

try to treat with H2O2 next time if you get such a spot again Caroline :) It worked wonderfully for me! How easy and cheap :) :)
    I read one can treat age spots with it too... cool I do not have age spots yet but who knows, they might appear as one age :glasses:

ElectricUniverse likes this.
  14. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Caroline
    get curaderm
    while getting it, curse your Australian FDA.
    If you get through this successfully, please post.
    I have a few people in my circle who could use it.

upload_2020-1-17_11-10-43.png

upload_2020-1-17_11-11-7.png

15. JoeBranca

JoeBranca Silver

I've looked at the sun as like a dance partner. Beginner learning to dance with a professional takes time and observation to get in the rhythm. It will take seasons to really get a handle on your pro partner's capabilities and how to synchronize with the moves and complement in the steps. May get burned once in a while with missteps, but always come back for another session refreshed and ready to learn some more.

caroline likes this.
  16. ElectricUniverse

I have a few age spots (also called liver spots, or if you want to be technical, solar lentigos). There are a few on face, forearms, and top of hands.

These developed over the years and were a direct result from much sun exposure in my teens and early 20s. At that time I was a cycling enthusiast and was out in full sun on roads nearly every day without hat, long-sleeved shirt, or sunscreen-- hence the skin damage. I can't claim all that solar overexposure made me an early Black Swan and extremely healthy but I was quite a buff young man from all the cycling.

I am experimenting with bakuchiol therapy now on these lesions, and I hope to have great results.

Age spots on older man (not me!):

upload_2020-1-22_11-9-40.png

17. JanSz

JanSz Gold

18. Nrelax11

Nrelax11 New Member

Can these age spots be from lipofuscinosis due to excess PUFAs? Not enough saturated fats

19. ElectricUniverse

Good question. There are some theories about lipofuscin (a yellow brown pigment) accumulation in age spots. It may be related to oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids, but may also be related to membrane, mitochondria, and lysosome damage (Wikipedia). So it is more evident in aging individuals as skin regeneration and repair is less active vs younger individuals.

"Also, pathological accumulation of lipofuscin is implicated in Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, certain lysosomal diseases, acromegaly, denervation atrophy, lipid myopathy, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,[15] and centronuclear myopathy. Accumulation of lipofuscin in the colon is the cause of the condition melanosis coli." (Wikipedia).

The good news is that there is some evidence that lipofuscin accumulation (e.g. age spots) can be reversed. Some therapies that apparently show promise are caloric restriction, Vit. E, glutathione, ALC, and gingko biloba, among others. Topical treatments are another avenue.

20. ElectricUniverse

Bingo.

According to an article in The Conversation, it claims the ozone problem over Australia is not the main culprit in your soaring skin cancer rates. It is your ancestry.

Other contributing factors are geography (Australian northern states/territories lying closer to equator have more skin cancers from higher UV than southern ones), and the fact that Aussies have summer when earth orbit is closest to sun (again more UV).

Some excerpts from the article:

"Most Australians (and Kiwis) have the wrong type of skin for their environment. Basically, through migration, our two countries have been populated by many people with fair skin whose ancestors come from much less sunny climates. Lack of protective pigmentation leaves skin cells especially vulnerable to the DNA-damaging rays from the sun."

"While melanin provides protection against the damage caused by exposure to UV radiation, it’s not a “suit of armour”. Melanoma rates are far lower in people with pigmented skin such as Aboriginal people, but not non-existent."