1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Sulfur is HUGE!

Discussion in 'The Epi-Paleo Diet' started by chocolate, Apr 15, 2012.

1. chocolate

chocolate Silver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulforaphane

Sulforaphane is an organosulfur compound that exhibits anticancer, antidiabetic, and antimicrobial properties in experimental models. It is obtained from cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, Brussels sprouts or cabbages. The enzyme myrosinase transforms glucoraphanin, a glucosinolate, into sulforaphane upon damage to the plant (such as from chewing). Young sprouts of broccoli and cauliflower are particularly rich in glucoraphanin.

Possible medicinal properties

Consumption of broccoli sprouts has shown to be potentially effective at inhibiting Helicobacter pylori growth,[2][3] with sulforaphane being at least one of the active agents.[4][5]

Sulforaphane and dietary consumption of cruciferous vegetables are known to affect the action of drug-metabolizing enzymes in vitro and in preliminary human studies.[6] Although no side effects or direct drug interactions have been reported as of 2008, people taking prescription drugs are advised to consult a doctor before taking sulforaphane or broccoli-sprout extracts.

The possible anticancer activity of sulforaphane may be related to the induction of phase-II enzymes of xenobiotic transformation (such as quinone reductase and glutathione S-transferase), and enhancing the transcription of tumor suppressor proteins, possibly via inhibitory effects on histone deacetylase.[7]

Sulforaphane and diindolylmethane (another compound from Brassica vegetables) inhibit cancer growth in vitro and in experimental animals.[8] Sulforaphane downregulated the Wnt/beta-catenin self-renewal pathway in breast cancer stem cells.[9]

When applied topically, sulforaphane may protect skin against UV radiation damage, and thus potentially against cancer.[10] Sulforaphane may inhibit histone deacetylase (HDAC) activity.[11][12]

Preliminary experiments indicate sulforaphane may protect the heart from vascular inflammation and atherosclerosis.[13]

Kristi Lambert likes this.
  2. Huck

Huck Silver

Dr Seneff recommends an epson salt bath a couple times a week to get enough sulfur. I do that plus supplement with MSM, especially if I don't get at least 2 es baths in.

Kristi Lambert and rlee314 like this.
  3. chocolate

chocolate Silver

That sounds perfect for skin protection! I never even thought about it. I have an 6ooo gallon irrigation cystern I'm just gonna keep filling. But I wasn't planning on the epsom salt in that. I guess I'll have to go fru fru yet.

4. ealachan

ealachan New Member

Huck, do you do just foot-soaks with epsom salt, or whole baths? How long do you do them for?

5. Huck

Huck Silver

Full bath for about 1/2 hour.

6. angieonthegogo

angieonthegogo New Member

I already use eopson salts in my CT baths so that is good. Looks like I need to add that MSM back in. Must order more when I can. I think my liver needs all of the help it can get in clearing the toxins from detox. Perhaps that is why I've gained weight the last few months. So many variables.

7. quelsen

quelsen New Member

is that a statement or a question?

8. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

never assume your diet is high in anything. Most people with joint problems are have issues with S, Se, I, and Vitamin D.

Brent Patrick and rlee314 like this.
  9. KiwiLauren

KiwiLauren Gold

I just found volcanic Himalayan salt at my health shop. It is called 'Volcanic Black Salt' and says it comes from the Black Sea. It is like the pink Himalayan, but this is pink and black and sticks together in a very fine grain. I used to live near a 'black sand' beach (many on the west coast of New Zealand) and the sand is super fine and volcanic. In any case, this salt smells SO strongly of sulfur that I can barely stomach opening the bag. It is much higher in sulfur (and silicon) than the normal pink salt, but also full of all the other minerals. I am adding it to my meals.

10. LinD

LinD New Member

Dr Kruse,,

Please define S, Se, & I. Thanks!

(one of my guesses is Inflammation... )

11. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

Sulfur, Selenium, & Iodine

rlee314 likes this.
  12. nonchalant

nonchalant Silver

I am so tickled that all those hours spent memorizing much of the periodic chart of elements (which was smaller, back in my day) is actually coming to some use!

13. quelsen

quelsen New Member

yes it is very difficult to define high.

YMMV

14. nuttmegs17

nuttmegs17 New Member

also, while some foods might typically be rich in nutrients, with today's farming practices, nutrient starved soils, transport times, etc - its hard to know how many nutrients are really left in the foods we eat....unfortunately supps are a necessary (expensive) evil...

i feel that way about bio-identical hormones as well...too many hormone disrupters in our environment...throws things out of wack, but I digress.. :)

glad to know supp with MSM is a good thing...I had been doing it bc Glam mentioned she noticed it was keeping her skin tight.

15. chocolate

chocolate Silver

16. Ken23

Ken23 New Member

Thought I connected a few dots last week and upped my raw onion consumption for the cysteine. Noticed my stomach initially had a hard time handling them as I never have eaten onion or garlic raw before. Got to thinking about my former hypoglycemia problem and current hair loss. Thought sulfur may be the missing link for me . Went out and bought msm and have taken two doses the last two days and experienced a big reduction in anxiety. An almost extreme calming feeling I am not used to at all. Not sure if this is a positive or negative but am definitely feeling a difference

17. Inger

Inger Silver

Cool, Ken! I stepped on a bee yesterday walking barefoot on the lawn and it stung me... ouch that hurt! I run inside and put pure msm on it and a wet paper towel... in maybe 15 seconds the pain stopped... how magic! :)
    it did not get swollen either :)

rlee314 likes this.
  18. Ken23

Ken23 New Member

Inger, you are very wise. You must get a ton of sulfur from all those raw onions you eat as well.

Just saw this article....... http://nourishingplot.com/2014/06/20/the-deficiency-thats-making-you-suffer-a-sunburn/

rlee314 likes this.
  19. Ken23

Ken23 New Member

I think about the food I ate for the first 26 years of my life and it's scary. In high school I'd wake up and have an eggo waffle with aunt jemima syrup with conventional butter. And Id pat myself on the back for eating, because some days I would skip breakfast. When starting epi paleo I began eating pasture raised eggs for breakfast (cooked) and more seafood (cooked), more organic vegetables (cooked) giant steps in the right direction when compared to the eggo waffle breakfast but still cooked food. What does cooking do to the food? Loses the sulfur. Iv never eaten a raw onion in my life until last week. Raw* onions= one of the richest sources of sulfur

Hypoglycemia, cognitive functioning, skin problems (acne, dry skin, poor color, inability to tan, hair loss), bipolar disorder (anxiety).....Sulfur is implicated in a big way in all of these. Dr. K's mentioning of neuroectoderm comes to mind. Bad skin= not optimal brain

Look at the anecdotal evidence of people preventing sunburn by adding huge amounts of organic sulfur into their diet with MSM...... http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/t10347-msm-prevents-sunburn

When I made the connection a few days ago I started 2g of MSM.... today 3g. Part of my brain seems to have been turned on.

Could sulfur be this big of a factor?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    Sean Waters and SeaHorse like this.
  20. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

Well maybe it was long forgotten.......the EPCOTx protocol is loaded with cysteine........and if you look at the e-cook book it is reflected there.