1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Suggestions for new laptop?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Suggestions' started by Phosphene, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’m in the market for a basic laptop that I can hook to an Ethernet cable in the yard, and not be too upset if it accidentally gets left out in the rain. :D

Just kidding, kinda, but I definitely don’t want anything fancy. Just sturdy, relatively lightweight, low-flicker. (I’ll add Iris software of course, but anything better in affordable screen technology yet?)

Will probably buy refurbished—have had good luck with that.

Butters likes this.
  2. JanSz

JanSz Gold

3. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Thanks Jan. Not looking to spend anywhere near that much but I’ll keep the brand in mind. I’ve got lights and cold tubs and pork bellies to buy as well...:D

4. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I got the 15" version.
    My main reason was, that relatively often I had difficulties in hearing @Jack Kruse speak.
    Initially I got separate speaker for my old computer, but it was not helping much.
    Now it works (somewhat) better.

5. drezy

drezy New Member

I needed a development system for a project I'm working on. Nothing fancy, but I needed windows to run a specific IDE.

I liked this little portable unit ($168).
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L49MY9...colid=TVAIZNJ51A5X&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    Throw in a $10 usb->ethernet dongle, the $14 Iris software, and *boom* Bob's your uncle (as our UK and AUS member's might say).

KrusinWitchie, Anne V and Phosphene like this.
  6. drezy

drezy New Member

Forgot to mention at that size and price just stash it into a gallon ziplock bag and leave in the rain all you want.

KrusinWitchie, Anne V and Phosphene like this.
  7. JanSz

JanSz Gold

Nice. Phosphene asked for something basic.

Will one be able to listen to Jack's webinars on that machine?
    -----------------
    Will it slow down when one opens 10-30 firefox windows, e-mail, few excel spreadsheets and graphic software? Corel Paintshop 2019 (64 bit) in my case.

8. drezy

drezy New Member

Probably, Don't overlook the "loudness equalizer" setting mentioned here:
    https://windowsreport.com/increase-laptop-volume-beyond-100/

Also that article mentions Boom3d audio software. I haven't tried it yet, but I use something like this on MacOS.

i'm not sure it could handle your use cases. Note it has 4GB of RAM

You can check your current memory usage like this:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Check-Memory-Usage

Also as-is it's in Windows-S mode:
    "Windows 10 in S Mode is a more limited, locked-down Windows operating system. In S Mode, you can only install apps from the Store, and you can only browse the web with Microsoft Edge."

It's upgradeable for some money, but it may not float Jan's boat...

I think it's near the bottom price range(yet upgradable) for anyone who half jokingly mentions the possibility of leaving it in the rain.

Phosphene likes this.
  9. JanSz

JanSz Gold

I have a 10" touch screen, Win 10 computer (initially it was Win 7 or 8)
    APEX Digital
    TSN: 718325201841504329
    Model: TM101W515L
    FCC ID : @ACPN-TM101W515L
    32-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
    installed RAM 1GB
    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU Z3735G @1.33GHz
    I paid for it under $150

It would be really neat little computer. But that 1GHz RAM makes it hardly usable.

Wonder if there is a way to throw out that RAM and replace it with something bigger?
    Wonder if it would accept any bigger RAM.

10. drezy

drezy New Member

Possible? Yes.

Special tools and skillset? Likely.

Probably like this:

11. JanSz

JanSz Gold

That is what I was afraid of.

12. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Thanks a bunch. I’m definitely looking low-end for my currently simple use case. I’ve gotten used to cloud storage, and using Google Docs, Sheets, etc. when needed. Privacy be damned I guess.

I’ve forwarded the suggestion on to hubs since he likes to think he has some say in the matter. :rofl:

Anne V likes this.
  13. drezy

drezy New Member

If I remember correctly he's also cost conscious. If he can do better let me know. I ended up just dual booting my MacBook (OSX + Win 10) for now and it's working alright for me, but in case I need another cheap system your husband's finds would be appreciated too.

14. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

Yes, cost-conscious is a kind euphemism but we are similar there at least. He recommended another Chromebook and I was considering that since Iris has a Chrome extension. But it turns out that newly graduated son got a laptop from his job so mom inherited his four year old Toshiba Satellite (originally $450). Not sure how I feel about it, but will give it a go. It’s heavy and the build quality is suspect, but if it lasted this long that’s a good sign.

One of its “features” is a TruBrite HD Display—oy! :eek:

Next step: loading and configuring Iris, and getting a super long outdoor Ethernet cable. C7??

https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-c55-c5241-15-6-core-i5-5200u-8-gb-ram-1-tb-hdd/

drezy likes this.
  15. drezy

drezy New Member

I'm not snobby at all about computers. I spend time on a $150 Dell D12U and have no problem at all with it.

I'm using Cat6e and it extends just fine at least 200+ feet.

Phosphene likes this.
  16. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

I’ll need closer to 400 feet to get to my sunspots in the yard with a little slack. Best place to buy in this quantity?

Michael CULLEN likes this.
  17. Mike David

Mike David Same name new person

What if you go to a local electrical supply house and get 1000’ of shielded cat 6 and put the two ends on it yourself. Just a matter of matching colors and maybe watching a little YouTube.

18. drezy

drezy New Member

My boy and wife are really good at mashing the ends of ethernet cables. I can almost cap them back off in the dark now...

Phosphene likes this.
  19. Phosphene

Phosphene Gold (finally)

While I wouldn’t consider us the best DIYers we’ve kluged together enough projects that this should be doable. Thanks again!

20. drezy

drezy New Member

Feel free to let me know if you need any assistance.

Phosphene likes this.