1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Study linking POTS/CFS/IBS/EDS/Fibromyalgia to UARS. How can one overcome structural airway issues?

Discussion in 'Ask Jack' started by MattD1995, Oct 21, 2019.

1. MattD1995

MattD1995 Gold

Dr. Kruse,

There is a variant of sleep disordered breathing known as UARS (Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome) that is becoming more commonly recognized in the sleep medicine world. Most patients with UARS tend to be thin, young women. Also, UARS is commonly associated with hypotension, poor circulation, POTS, IBS, CFS, EDS. UARS differs from sleep apnea in a few ways:

1) UARS patients tend to have structural issues, specifically, narrow nasal passageways and narrow throats. Some dentists and ENTs are attributing this to braces and wisdom teeth removal procedures (both of which can cause the mouth to shrink). Many of these patients experienced tongue thrust, bed wetting, and excessive night time urination.

2) During sleep, UARS/structural airway issues cause the patient to gasp for air creating excessive intrathoraic pressure which forces the heart to pump out massive levels of Atrial Natriuretic Petide. ANP directly lowers aldosterone, catecholamines, and cortisol. ANP also causes magnesium and sodium wasting.

3) The resulting chronic dehydration due to nocturia and electrolyte wasting leads to a plethora of issues, primarily POTS/IBS/EDS/Fibromyalgia.

https://www.breathesleepandbewell.com/articles/anp-and-airway.pdf

"Abstract. This hypothesis paper discusses the “ANP hypothesis” and the scientific evidence which suggests the following: Atrial Natriuretic Peptide (ANP) levels are markedly elevated in upper airway resistance syndrome (UARS), more so than in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS), and are responsible for much of the symptomatology in UARS outside of sleep deprivation. In OSAS ANP resistance develops, as a result of hypoxia as well as obesity, and this will decrease the somatic and other symptoms that are caused by ANP. The ANP resistance caused by hypoxia implicates OSAS as a cause of obesity, due to ANP effect on lipolysis. The effects of ANP on the hypothalamic‐pituitary‐adrenal axis implicate UARS as the cause of “adrenal fatigue” and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). These effects may be able to be used to develop a biomarker panel to aid diagnosis and follow up in UARS. ANP effect on magnesium excretion may explain magnesium deficiency mediated illnesses which are associated with sleep disordered breathing. Gender differences in ANP secretion may explain gender differences seen between UARS and OSAS, as well as within the somatic syndromes. The actions of ANP on Nitric Oxide (NO) suggest the “ANP/NO/ONOO hypothesis” via upregulation of the NO/ONOO (nitric oxide/peroxynitrite) cycle which has been implicated in the somatic syndromes. The extreme ANP elevations seen in UARS would act as a perpetuating factor to maintain the NO/ONOO vicious cycle mechanism and perpetuate these chronic illnesses once triggered; therefore it is suggested that UARS underlies all of these chronic somatic syndromes."

I have been diagnosed with UARS, and even more recently with POTS. Obviously, the laws of light, water, and magnetism still apply to me. However, I'm losing more water and electrons during the night time than I am able to replenish during the day via DHA, sunlight, and cold thermogenesis.

Short of getting palate expansion, turbinate reduction, or any other type of invasive procedure, what would you recommend I do to offset the severe loss of fluid and electrons I am experiencing at night?

I have begun sleeping upright/inclined and this has somewhat improved my nocturia and morning nausea. I am desperate for suggestions as APAP and mandibular advancement devices have failed me thus far.

I must find a way to offset the electron/water loss I'm experiencing at night.