1. Registering for the Forum

We require a human profile pic upon registration on this forum.

After registration is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email, which should contain a link to confirm your intent to register for the forum. At this point, you will not yet be registered on the forum.

Our Support staff will manually approve your account within 24 hours, and you will get a notification. This is to prevent the many spam account signups which we receive on a daily basis.

If you have any problems completing this registration, please email support@jackkruse.com and we will assist you.

Strength in muscles (and other places!)

Discussion in 'Cold Thermogenesis' started by Cody, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Cody

Cody New Member

OK. So I've been icing for about a month now. Sleeping with my windows open, and taking varying degrees of cold showers.

I've had my share of negative side effects. Lots of light headedness, dizziness, freezing my butt off, etc. etc. Lots of hunger, tiredness, wakefulness, moodiness, etc.

All attributable to toxins and estrogen getting released from my rapidly emptying fat cells.

On top of the above, my excrement now smells awful. Chemicaly. Sorry if this is TMI, but am I the only one having this issue? It smells like poison or plastic or something. Really bad.

Anyway. So I did experience one benefit the very first week of CT (and in my case I went from a 1000 calorie per day PSMF to Keto eating with no limit on calories, and very high fat). I got stronger and my muscles got noticably larger.

I was unable to do a full pushup to the ground before, and a month later, I can do ten with perfect form. And keep in mind that I have been strength training for years AND I haven't lost any scale weight.

I actually did push ups with my arms on one platform and my feet on another, so that I was basically suspended in mid air, and was able to do five going much lower (because of my belly not hitting the ground).

I'm extremely impressed with the strength and muscle gains here!

On another, probably TMI note, my libido is through the roof the past few days. Good stuff, Maynard!

2. Glamorama

Glamorama New Member

Yup I cna attest to increased strenght (massively so) and a higher sex-drive. Good times!

3. Mikey7

Mikey7 New Member

Congrats! Yep, I also did 10 consecutive pull ups! previously I can only do about 5-7

4. shilohman

shilohman New Member

Yep, the increased strength is amazing. When I go to the gym now I max out the weights on many of the machines and I still don't have big muscles, go figure.

5. hellojtm

hellojtm New Member

I don't see the logic in the increased sex drive if all we are doing is aligning with our seasonal adaptations. Winter wouldn't be the best time for a mammal with a 9 month gestation period to be frisky. summer would.

edit: I wonder if anyone that is experiencing these libido increases was lean to begin with or if all of them are shedding body fat rapidly

6. agatha

agatha New Member

I am hoping for some strength gains - do you find you have to do the CT justt prior to exercising to get the benefits or are you still stronger even if you haven't CTd that day?

I have never been able to do a press up in my life - it would be nice to be able to do even just one...

7. Glamazon

Glamazon Gold

Even before beginning the protocol, I was always friskier in the spring time when everything new was breaking out of the ground.

8. thyme

thyme New Member

I've found a general strength build-up regardless of CTing on any given day, but I haven't looked closely enough to note whether that increase is even greater on CT days. Right out of the bath, I'm too bloody cold to do much, but a few hours later-watch out!

off-topic: The press-up thing is near and dear to my heart because I was exactly the same way. A year ago, I decided enough was enough and I was tired of being a weakling. I followed Mark Sisson's

push-up progression and it worked beautifully. Watch the video on that page and download the free e-book--he has you start with wall push-ups, and then bench push-ups, building strength as you go. Follow those progressions, and you'll be doing press-ups much faster than you think!!

9. texasmom4

texasmom4 New Member

I'm doing the reset right now, and staying away from LHT per protocol for the reset. I have noticed the past couple weeks that my biceps are popping out though, and when I "make a muscle" it's actually pretty decent and impressive. It would have to be from CT since I'm not doing anything else. So amazing to me. Dr Kruse is a genius! :)

10. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

I'm doing the reset and CT (for over 3 weeks now). I'm not lean, but I also don't have lots to lose. I also haven't been working out AT ALL while doing this (except for a daily walk during lunch break).

Just out of curiousity, I tested a couple of things to see if strength spontaneously improved, and it did. I went from being able to do 3 normal push ups to being able to do 8. I went from never doing a chin up in my life, to doing one, with just a little help from my feet against the frame of the door (I was using the iron gym bar that hand on the door frame), and I can hold myself up there for a long duration, which was also something I couldn't do before starting these protocols. Gonna test these both again next week to see if they have improved.

And, and heck yes to the rise in libido. If my libido wasn't so nuts, I'd actually CT more, but I find I'm spending every other night playing in bed instead of playing in the tub.

Cody - I'm not sure my poop smells as you described, but it's noticeably worse-smelling than it was before CT.

11. Jack Kruse

Jack Kruse Administrator

my strength gains on massive CT days is nothing short of astounding.....

12. eva

eva New Member

i think the rising sexdrive can be attributed to hgh and testosterone release

13. Cody

Cody New Member

I do CT in the morning and also right after I workout. From what I've read, muscle growth and strength are limited by the inflammatory response after a workout. Lowering inflammation will speed up the process. I'm able to heal much more quickly from a workout.

Brad Pilon has a great article about why testosterone is a natural anti-inlammatory and that is why raising testosterone increases fat burning and muscle growth.

14. PaleoMom

PaleoMom New Member

This is all very exciting to hear. Did any of you feel weaker at first though? I'm coming up on 3 weeks of CT and I've never been weaker so far. I have actually stopped working out now because I"m so tired and weak from the CT. For example, I used to be up to doing 6 pushups plus about 20 more girl push-ups, a few days ago was my pushup day and I couldn't do any regular ones and only 8 girl ones.

15. MJ*

MJ* New Member

Does it carry over to non CT days? If you didn't CT for a week would you get weaker? For performance, would it be a reasonable assumption that the morning of a game or track meet etc., that an athlete would reap the benefits more to do CT some time earlier in the day?

16. Evo Mama

Evo Mama New Member

My gains were tested on non-CT days. I haven't tried working out after CT at all, because I CT at night and I'm exhausted after, so bedtime.

17. Cody

Cody New Member

I did not feel weaker at first. Strength gains were fairly immediate. However, don't let that discourage you. Give it more time. I feel very confident that your strength will come back and improve soon enough.

Hang in there!

18. PaleoSue

PaleoSue New Member

I haven't done strength training yet, but I picked up my nephew yesterday like he was nothing. It was nice.

19. agatha

agatha New Member

Thanks for the tip on press ups Thyme - I'll take a look at Mark Sissons' programme.

Hmm, reading all your comments about increased libido I've changed my mind about persuading DH to do CT - I don't want to turn him into an insatiable sex pest:)

20. Cody

Cody New Member

You don't want to be ravaged by a wildman, Agatha??? I think you are missing out on one of life's greatest pleasures...